Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through November 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1klsn...are you kidding? I couldn't tell you where I live now but your apt description of Steve's/Rich J.C. nails it. The diner description is "spoy on, mate". Nancy worked at some medical lab with the owners' wife and she was always sending up plates of food when they had too much.....great stuff. Bycicle Jim's was one of my favorite places and you've set off another round of memories. Keeps happening on this thread. That should be a T instead of a Y in spoy on, mate. It's going to be...well I don't know how it's gonna be walking through A2 after all these years. Your narrative on what's new and what's still there from times past makes for some interesting visuals.

Margie...las peliculas......mas fina perro yo quiero mas de Garwood, y tu? Senoir Collier..donde esta, cabron?!?

what's BTW and lol?

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW = by the way

lol = laughing out loud

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ljbad89...i love you.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 412
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt, this site is pretty simple for resizing:

www.photosize.com

try setting the "pixels" at 500, so it will fit here.

(Message edited by det313grrl on November 15, 2008)

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok .... i'm going to try this again...last time i jumped in after a round with the Tennessee crud i had a relapse and got sick as a dog again, so here we go.....i do agree with Margies request of a few days ago, that we identify ourselves....but some of you refuse to do so....which leaves me no choice ......SO....from this point on .....every time i log into and post anything on this thread.....I will be wearing a disguise....sorry i had to do this...but as i said, you left me no choice....still wish i knew who is who.....I've been going through photos here, and have come to the conclusion that if any of you folks are in political office or achieved an executive poition...i could be sitting on easy street....how much would you pay to keep these pics out of the press......(kidding....since im in most of them myself).....hey 4string welcome ....was hoping you would respond...by the way....when you see you brother....give him this message for me...tell him that Earl, down at the fillin station says 'HEY"... and that i hear that Winnepeg has a great festival....I think i still owe someone a bottle of whiskey...really bad tooth ache...by the way some where around here i have a pic of..."Berkley Medium"...(blast from the past)..Russ, Jeep, Jeff, Larry,and i think Mark....and if i'm not mistaking Robin
Zander(cheap Trick) was your roadie....well i think ill spend some more time trying to figure out how to load some pics....Im sure that my machine is the culprut ...but will keep trying.....so gang till next time...yall go and do good things

Downtown99
Username: Downtown99

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1Kielson****Thank You ! p.s. Ive been thinking of building or buying a home at Grayhaven.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of the Garwood cats

Ruth

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a mystery chick.....any idea who this is?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 521
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown99, I'd suggest you get a copy of the by-laws and read closely. How do you feel about the by-laws. Can you live by them? Would it be difficult for other co-owners and co-op members to live by them. How do the by-laws address conflicts? How are violations handled by the board? What remedies does the board have to sanction co-owners? What remedies do you have to appeal? Important points are how the board is elected and how board members are removed for malfeasance. Look closely at financials as far back as possible (usually posted monthly) and meeting agendas and notes. Meetings should be posted and held regularly at a convenient location, reports and minutes available shortly thereafter. Look closely at commons areas for maintenance. Look for window signs, curtains and other things regulated by by-laws. When was last revision of by-laws. If they're decades old, they're likely outdated and need revisions. Before purchasing shares or becoming a co-owner, attend monthly meetings, if possible. It's unlikely you'll be allowed to speak or take part - privileges usually reserved for co-owners. You'll see how co-owners and the board interact and conduct business. Ask the seller and board, in writing, if there are any outstanding financial or legal (lawsuits, liens) issues. Ask, in writing, about increases in association or co-op dues. It's no different than being a responsible, involved member of any community. A condo, co-op community is a small municipality. You have to pay attention so other's irresponsibility and negligence doesn't cost you. Example: A local board member was operating flagrantly without supervision or revelation. He had a legal dispute, not revealed in meetings or minutes, resulting in a judgement against the association. It was undiscovered until a co-owner attempted to obtain a new mortgage. A lien was placed on the entire association, preventing new mortgages or loans. The association had to pay a judgement due to negligence of a renegade board member and co-owners. Living in condos and co-ops is only a trade-off of yard and maintenance work for vigilance in administration. Check out Robert Meisner, Michigan's pre-eminent association and co-op attorney. Meisner wrote the existing state laws regulating associations. He offers classes, seminars and books.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hillary Clinton? College daze.

Old_guy

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD, Was the Bagel Factory the place on the corner? If you got a star on your receipt, you won a dozen free bagels. If it was the same place, the agency a bunch of us worked for was right across the street. The side street, if that makes sense. I lived on Bagels with cream cheese and swiss, and a side order 40 from up the street.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, the Bagel Factory was on the south side of South U, between the Village Corners (the old party and variety store on the corner of Forest, an A2 institution) to the west, and the modern white apartment building, to the east. The Mud Bowl was on the corner, one stop further east. Yes, the Bagel Factory offered all kinds of promotions. It wasn't my favorite place, but I had a girlfriend who worked there, so lot's of freebies. Try local.live.com and descend accordingly to view the block. Rotate from road maps to aerial view. If you get low enough, you can actually see the oval sunroom of the Bagel Factory protruding toward the sidewalk of South U at the east end of the Village Corner's building. All to be demolished, soon.

Old_guy

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I believe I lived on Forest. About six blocks down, give or take.

Old_guy

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt, here's an old photo of the paegans. That would be Brad Carlson (aka Bun E. Carlos) of Cheap Trick fame on the left.

12.gif

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG....okay, man, you must have one helluva collection of photos and other stuff from the last century...keep it coming! Just heard from Jeff Swanberg (bass player Mark's brother) and he has stuff from Berkley Medium; Jeff was vocals/frontman, Jeep Capone (drums), Russ? and Fred Brace on keyboards and bass, and me. I guess Robin Zander was our roadie, but who remembers little things like that? We did lots of gigs around Wisconsin and Illinois. Loved the frat parties in Madison. Trying to get him to post here because he knows tons about how Stonefront evolved from Berklet Medium. He slept in a closet at the house and has photos so I hope he gets on board.

Ruth

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry - I should have mentioned that the photo of the mystery chick was taken at the Garwood sometime in 1970. I don't think Hillary was ever there....hmmm...then again.....

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone...Entiendo… usted quiere ver que mucho más lo hacen los cuadros de los días de Garwood… por supuesto yo también. ¡Pienso que mucho más son manera del onthere una vez que todos imaginamos cómo conseguirlos encendido aquí!!!
...This is getting to be too much fun...but not fair
xox

Margie

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about rick Derringer & Edgar & Johnny on the organ & singing "Let It Be"...

Does anyone remember Hoover bringing in a big case of silly string...

How about Lee Michaels on the organ !

Margie

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 526
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recognize 'Mountain Man' Leslie. He's looking pretty skinny here. I saw him at the Cincinatti Pop Festival at Old Crosley Field and he was gigantor. In fact, a couple of times I saw him he had to play his guitar below his belly. No kidding. He'd get his guitar up there occasionally and rest it on his stomach, but a lot of his playing was done below the belt. It was mighty nice playing, regardless. He played in town a few years ago and he'd dropped 150 pounds, easily.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, if you lived directly upstairs of Steve's, then you were at 1313. If elsewhere in the block, it could've been any of the addresses except 1305 - 09, which is the new condominium, and 1301 which is UMMA (BJ's). Anyway, we can walk and/or ride the town and experience our flashbacks.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if I could ever explain how much I appreciate Lowell. Be glad to chip in on expenses so he could come and see what he's done, here. Hats off to the guy(s) who didn't give up on this thread when it wasn't getting much response. Feeling rather grateful, today.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I can only go back 2 or 3 days and re-read these postings. Any help to bring up the archives list would be great.

Jarvo
Username: Jarvo

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...did Leon Russell ever show up/play at garwood? I know he did the Mad dogs and Englishmen tour with Joe Cocker from around the same era as the the peak of the garwood heyday...One helluva show...both great showmen...
...maybe they could fall in to the category of, "if you think he was there, then by golly he was there!!"
That was a great line. Too funny.

Margie

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Mornin Stony...
my email is...thankfulheart10@yahoo.com
if you send me your email address and put Stnfrnt in the subject line,so I know its from you I will copy and paste the previous postings and send them to you. xox
Jarvo...yes Leon was there by golly !

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 417
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the only pic I have of myself from the Garwood

This is from the Anti-Nuke march in NYC in 83'

and not too long ago...

Okay, there, I'm out of the closet!

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!!!!!!!!

Old_guy

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photos Det 313. You look great. Love the shirt too.
Stone, I bet you are feeling grateful today, living in California, but on a sailboat so you can sail away if the flames get too close.

When I saw the pictures of all the smoke from the wildfires on the news, it reminded me of you and the recollection of the smoking party with the milk jug and Gus in the shower. Hell, it made me think that it's probably what the Garwood looked like from the air during the parties.

If you hit the Garwood Archives line at the top of the page, you should be able to pull up the rest of the pages.

Man, I've been thinking about it, and even though I worked in the music business after leaving Detroit, and lived all over the country, I've never been anywhere that even compares to the music scene in Detroit back in those days. It really was incredible. I always wondered if that had something to do with why so many bands (kudos to Hoover) came over to the house after they did shows. That line from Jackson Brownes song, The Load Out, from Running on Empty, "And Detroit, I don't know, we do so many shows in a row," really tells the story. They didn't just hop on a plane after the show when they were in Detroit, they stayed and partied. Big bands that just did one show in Chicago or Denver, did two or three shows in Detroit. It just seems like everybody was into music, way more than other places. Incredible times.