Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4645
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved to Almont at the end of Junior year, so Gar Wood was not on my radar. Before that, I was hanging up at the other end of Grosse Pointe with my Austin Prep buddies, sailing and smoking.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around 8 to 3 is what I recall except during 4th grade before the additional 6 classrooms in back were added we went from around noon to almost 4 in half day sessions.

Does anyone recall what mass the school attended when it went for daily mass or first friday. The St. Jude Calander lists daily Masses at 6:30, 7:30, 8:15, and 9:15. If I recall correctly, the 6:30 Mass was in the basement (usually with a handful of people). 7:30 seems to early..My guess is 8:15....Does anyone recall?
See what you started Z.

Jcole

Post Number: 4648
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was the 8:15 mass, KR. I sort of remember going directly to the church from home, at least when we were older. Z, does that ring a bell with you?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's pretty much what I recall. Although as I've mentioned before due to choir commitments it seems like I went to church every and literally twice on Sundays

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was going(69-77), it started at 8:15 and went till 3:30. We usually had lunch recess at 12:00 noon and if we had a mass day, mass was early like at 8:30 or 9:00. I think gym was in the early pm.

I recall that picture well. I saw that view from 5th grade on. The younger grades had recess in the smaller courtyard betwixt the gym and school.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: That's pretty much what I recall in the early to mid 60s

JC: remember Dark Shadows very well. Barnabus Collins kept everyone by the TV set on a daily basis didn't he. I want to say it aired at 3:30P

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're right about the times, J. I do remember watching Dark Shadows...it used to scare the $#|% out of me...the memory of it still does.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mystery Photo.
Can anyone identify one person in the above photo taken in 1962-63 except Fr. Ording on the left?
The credit union is brand new and 7 Mile had just been widened and paved.
JC, that's not you on the bike is it?

Jcole

Post Number: 4652
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm I would have been 6 or 7 that year, and I didn't learn to ride a two wheeler til I was over 8. I was clumsy

Jcole

Post Number: 4653
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Wikipedia "Perhaps one of ABC's first truly popular daytime shows, Dark Shadows found its perfect demographic niche in teenagers coming home from school in time to watch the show at 4 p.m. Eastern / 3 p.m. Central, where it aired for all of its network run (except for a 15-month stretch between April 1967 and July 1968, when it aired a half hour earlier)." The original series aired from June 27, 1966 to April 2, 1971

(Message edited by jcole on November 14, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: It looks like someone is hanging on the handlebars trying to steady a clumsy rider*__*

Jcole

Post Number: 4654
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, is that you behind the Monsigneur on the right?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have been 9 or 10 just a little before my time in the surplus and cassock. I am however in the picture below.
Did everyone have caps and gowns at graduation? same color scheme?

(Message edited by kellyroad on November 14, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that Cardinal Reardon?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: great data on Dark Shadows. I delivered the Detroit News in late 67 and 68....remember on many occasions rushing off late to the paper station around 4 after Dark Shadows ended (where were the VCRs when you needed them?) to deliver the route....never realized it had changed broadcast times

Zitro

Post Number: 2329
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news is the Wings won tonight, bad news Barry Melrose got fired already and we may have to endure his Wings bias drivel on ESPN again.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I don't think that's Cardinal Reardon but I'm not 100% sure. I really don't know what the occasion was. There was another picture taken about the same time that was the blessing of the church but they weren't wearing albs. However the altar boy on the right look similar to the one in the other photo. It remains a mystery

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a different miter than the other photo....but could that be the same altar boy?

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 459
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're thinking of the alter boy holding the cndle in the above picture and the one who is furthest back in the first one, I'm not sure how old he was when he became a priest but, could that be Father Villerot? I recall him being slender, wearing glasses and having dark short hair like that and having a slim face like that. The alter boy looks to be in his mid teens or possibly 17 or so.

I loved Dark Shadows and truly always found it kind of cheesy but, good cheese. Kate Jackson(Sabrina--Charlie's Angels) got her start there. Then she moved on to the Rookies after Dark Shadows and played a nurse there. She was on Scarecrow And Mrs. King later.

Go Wings! Glad they won!

I still have to talk to my mom about WWI. I called her today and she was not there. She is such a social butterfly since she moved into her assisted living place up in Clinton Township.

We did not wear caps and gowns when I graduated from 8th grade. We wore dressy dresses and the guys wore suits. It was so hot that day as I recall and I had gotten a white sundress witha jacket over and it had a rainbow colour trim on it. Everyone else had on suits and long gowns with long sleeves. It made me laugh.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, so you saw a different miter? Well that sure presents a different angle.

Diane, your story of the guys wearing suits reminds me of a day I stood up at at an outside wedding. Must have been 105 degrees with no shade. Well the preacher hadn't met the groom until the day of when he found out he had a kid and was just recently divorced. Despite his reservations he went ahead with the wedding, but in addition to presiding over the usual nuptials, he meted out a lengthy Baptist sermon about fidelity and family values, and in a round about way accurately predicted that couples' own divorce.

With the extreme heat, it wasn't just the groom who was sweatin' bullets that day. I'd hate to be the one cleaning those vests and jackets.

Jcole

Post Number: 4658
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have made for a pleasant receiving line.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 542
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, I don't think that's Fr. Villerot. He's in his 80s now so would have already been a priest when that picture was taken.

Caps & gowns???? In my day only the most affluent (not me) had shoes.

Jcole

Post Number: 4659
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, and you walked 5 miles to school, uphill both ways.
The flour sack you wore still said 'Pillsbury' across the back, and all the kids whose mothers could afford bleach laughed at you.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z:...and Tocchet replaced him...what were the odds of that happening?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.. Where does the bishop store his hat?

Diane: the above pictures were taken around 61 and 62. Fr. Villerot became our pastor in the 70s. He is now in his 90s. The altar boy would be much too young to be Fr. Villerot.

Eastburn: It is interesting to hear your story. The hardship you endured, the distance you walked, no caps and gowns, shoeless, the sombrero, the motorcycle gang, the seminary. You need to write a book. I would like an advanced copy.

Zitro

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too, I enjoy fiction

Jcole

Post Number: 4660
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a few graduation pictures from 8th grade, and I'm not in a cap and gown. I was wearing a God-awful turquoise lace dress with my hair done up on top of my head in curls. No way I was fitting a cap on that creation.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 543
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fiction????????????? Z, I'm wounded.

J, I'd like you to ghostwrite my autobiography. You seem to appreciate the drama and pathos of my early years.

Zitro

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB- Let me Spillane it to you.

Jcole

Post Number: 4662
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read this poem in a book a while ago, and it seems perfect for today:

November
by Thomas Hood

No sun--no moon!
No morn--no noon!
No dawn--no dusk--no proper time of day--
No sky--no earthly view--
No distance looking blue--

No road--no street--
No "t'other side the way"--
No end to any Row--
No indications where the Crescents go--