Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Wolverines Football » Archive through November 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting your accurate analysis, Glowblue. You got it right.

Both of our quarterbacks lacked consistency this year, and the two highly-touted qb's recruited for next year's team will need a year or two to mature.Some players mature a lot quicker than others.
I wonder if we are going to see much of either of the current qb's when we go into next season. They both appear to be nice guys,and enthusiastic, but have very average skills.
And I am afraid our pass secondary played soft all year. I think that's been a great weakness. We looked better against Utah in the first game than we did against Northwestern last Saturday.
Bring on the Bucks!! Ha!

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glowblue of course between the seniors graduating and the players leaving he would have a lot of inexperience players. My point is this, the seniors he can do nothing about, but he could have done more to keep the players that left with eligibility remaining.

He made the decision to go with the freshmen over the juniors and seniors whom he decided to give less playing time.

RichRod made the transition more difficult than it needed to be, there was talent on the roster, it wasn't the type of talent he wanted.

RichRod mislead Michigan fans when he said he would at least in the first year adjust to the talent he has. He did not do that and now I am starting to see similarities between him and coach Weis.

Firstandten

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also Glowblue you never put all your eggs in one basket. He knew that if he didn't get Pryor he was in trouble especially after he let Mallet walk.

You can complain all you want about the QB's on the team now but they were going to be Mallet's backups and RichRod brought that situation on himself by thinking he was going to outrecruit Tressel by promising the kid would come in starting.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7940
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverines are playing like Detroit Lions THEY SUCK! Poor Rich Rodriguez can't get his offense together. You all lost a bowl game. Better luck in Big Ten basketball. Oh yeah! You all Wolverines haven't been to Big Ten Championship and Big Dance or the NIT the NOT INVITED TOURNAMENT in over 10 years.

"S" GO GREEN, GO SPARTANS

Javon Ringer = Heisman Trophy winner

MSU SPARTANS Big Ten leaders in College Football, Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball Lacrosse, and Volleyball both men and women.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 861
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glowblue,

You think all the 4 stars and up are freshman?! Wow, dude. Talk about delusional. It's time for you to meet the "bare cupboard" that Lloyd Carr left for Rich Rod. These are the 4 and five star players currently on Michigan's roster that were recruited by Lloyd Carr.

Class of 2004 (fifth year seniors)
Tim Jamison- 4 stars
Doug Dutch- 4 stars
Will Johnson- 4 stars
Mike Massey- 4 stars
Morgan Trent- 4 stars

Class of 2005 (seniors and redshirt juniors)
Kevin Grady- 5 stars
Terrance Taylor- 4 stars
Cory Zirbel- 4 stars
Brandon Harrison- 4 stars
David Moosman- 4 stars

Class of 2006 (juniors and redshirt sophomores)
Brandon Graham- 5 stars
Stephen Schilling- 5 stars
Carlos Brown- 4 stars
Jonas Mouton- 4 stars
Steve Brown- 4 stars
Greg Matthews- 4 stars
Adam Patterson- 4 stars
Jason Kates- 4 stars
Brandon Minor- 4 stars

Class of 2007 (sophomores and redshirt freshmen)
Donovan Warren- 5 stars
Toney Clemons- 4 stars
Austin Panter- 4 stars
Ryan Van Bergen- 4 stars
Martell Webb- 4 stars
Michael Williams- 4 stars

That's a total of 25 four-star or better players on Michigan's roster that are holdovers from the Carr era. Of them, 19 have been at Michigan for at least 3 years. Technically, this number also includes 4-star QB Stephen Threet who, as you probably know, transferred from Georgia Tech to Michigan while Carr was still the coach and prior to RichRod being hired.

This also doesn't include the talent that LEFT Michigan either due to RichRod's coaching style or his unwillingness to adjust his offense to match the personnel. How much different would Michigan's season have gone if 4-star lineman Justin Boren was pass protecting for 5-star QB Ryan Mallett as while he slung the ball around to 4-star senior receivers Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington? RichRod chased four very talented players off the team. Two to the NFL and two to other schools.

So to recap, when RichRod took over the Michigan program last 11 months ago, he had 30 returning players who had 4-star or better talent. He scared 4 of them away but he still had a LOT of talent to work with that he inherited. Any person with any understanding of football should, knowing this, see right through the "cupboard is bare" and "he needs his players" argument. RichRod turned what should have been a reloading situation into a full on rebuilding situation when he didn't need to.

Firstandten

Post Number: 511
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo,

said it better than I ever could.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This also doesn't include the talent that LEFT Michigan either due to RichRod's coaching style or his unwillingness to adjust his offense to match the personnel. How much different would Michigan's season have gone if 4-star lineman Justin Boren was pass protecting for 5-star QB Ryan Mallett as while he slung the ball around to 4-star senior receivers Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington? RichRod chased four very talented players off the team. Two to the NFL and two to other schools.

You're gonna need to prove that RichRod "chased off" anybody. Because it is nonsense. Mallett was hated by everyone on the team and would have transferred even if Carr had stayed (Carr threw transfer papers at him several times during the season), Arrington and Manningham were widely expected to leave early before the 2007 season even began, and Boren left because his dad pressured him to leave, because RR did not offer his little bro a scholarship.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Michigan blue bloods are in full spin cycle now. Mallett left because he had no future in RichRod's offense and he was selling Prior to UM on the basis of him being the starting QB from day one.

As far as the two receivers, NOBODY thought at the beginning of the year that Arrington would leave early and some people speculated that Manningham MAY leave early. It was never a done deal. RichRod's offense, which ran the ball 74% of the time during the 2007 season at West Virginia scared them off.

The Boren "excuse" you made up is just absurd. Boren's dad played for Bo at Michigan. Boren was a legacy recruit. He said VERY publicly why he was leaving and just what he thought of Rich Rodriguez. This "little bro" thing sounds like something a fan of "little sister" would come up with to keep from saying his team did anything wrong.

Face facts, through either style or philosophy, Rich Rodriguez chased off what would have been 4 of Michigan's top 10 players this season.

By the way, I'm glad you've finally abandoned that oh so weak, "but there was nobody left to play but the Freshmen" talk. That argument was a steaming pile of crap that is totally defenseless to even the most basic of scrutiny.

Glowblue

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I see Michigan blue bloods are in full spin cycle now. Mallett left because he had no future in RichRod's offense and he was selling Prior to UM on the basis of him being the starting QB from day one.

A lie doesn't become true no matter how many times you repeat it.

quote:

As far as the two receivers, NOBODY thought at the beginning of the year that Arrington would leave early and some people speculated that Manningham MAY leave early. It was never a done deal. RichRod's offense, which ran the ball 74% of the time during the 2007 season at West Virginia scared them off.

Since you obviously pay only passing attention to Michigan football, you probably don't remember the preseason scuttlebutt was that Manningham was 98% gone at the end of the season, and Arrington was about 85%. Manningham did not get along with Mallett at all, so the chances of him staying were basically zero by the end of the season, and Arrington wasn't sticking around with no quarterback.

quote:

The Boren "excuse" you made up is just absurd. Boren's dad played for Bo at Michigan. Boren was a legacy recruit. He said VERY publicly why he was leaving and just what he thought of Rich Rodriguez. This "little bro" thing sounds like something a fan of "little sister" would come up with to keep from saying his team did anything wrong.

Old man Boren stated that his boys would play at the same school, but RichRod retracted Zach Boren's offer for whatever reason (Probably because RR already brought in a bunch of LBs in the 08 class, and lil bro Boren isn't particularly good). Once that happened, Justin had to transfer to Ohio State, which is the other school where Zach got an offer. That 'family values' BS is just an excuse.

Also, calling your rival "little sister" after beating them once in seven years is why the cow college will always be Little Brother.

quote:

By the way, I'm glad you've finally abandoned that oh so weak, "but there was nobody left to play but the Freshmen" talk. That argument was a steaming pile of crap that is totally defenseless to even the most basic of scrutiny.

Six freshmen have started for the Wolverines on offense this season. If you don't think that's a young team, then I don't know what to tell you.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Six freshmen have started for the Wolverines on offense this season. If you don't think that's a young team, then I don't know what to tell you."

It's called a coach who arrogantly threw out the baby with the bathwater because he wanted to "put his stamp" on the team. He decided to start a bunch of freshmen against some very talented upper classmen because they were "his guys".

There is no way that this Michigan team was a 3 win team this year? John L Smith could have won 5 games with the talent on that team.

Rich Rod may end up being successful at Michigan in time, but man oh man, this season really put into question whether that will be possible.

If I were a Michigan fan I would be concerned. Michigan took a MASSIVE step back this year while Ohio State remains a quality team, Penn State looks resurgent, Michigan State looks reborn and thriving with fresh talent coming in, plus other schools looking stronger like Iowa and Northwestern (Pat Fitgerald is an EXCELLENT young coach) and suddenly the neighborhood looks a LOT tougher for Big Blue. Beware.

As far as the cow college comments I will say this. Typically people who refer to MSU as a cow college fall into two groups.

a) Michigan fans who never actually went to college or to a college inferior to MSU (they certainly didn't attend UofM)

or

b) Michigan alumni who are compensating for some disappointment in their lives contrary to the built in arrogant sense of superiority that is part of the "Michigan Experience" like ending up in a lame, dead end job with a Spartan for a boss who has a smoking hot wife he met while at MSU while all the girls at Michigan bark. WOOF!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5653
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"It's amazing some of the things that people would say (on a message board) or yell at you of a personal nature," Rodriguez said Monday. "You almost want to tell them, 'Get a life.'

"There's a whole lot bigger problems. Look at the economy."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081117/SPORT S0201/811170447/1361

Apparently RichRod has not been made aware that how his team performs has a huge impact on the economies of both the University of Michigan and the City of Ann Arbor.

He'd better wise up fast.

Glowblue

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's called a coach who arrogantly threw out the baby with the bathwater because he wanted to "put his stamp" on the team. He decided to start a bunch of freshmen against some very talented upper classmen because they were "his guys".

What talented upper classman? The only upper classman on the offense who did not get significant PT this season are all lousy. For instance, the reason RR is playing freshman Kevin Koger over senior Mike Massey is because Koger is a better player.

quote:

Rich Rod may end up being successful at Michigan in time, but man oh man, this season really put into question whether that will be possible.

Considering that RR went 3-8 his first year at West Virginia, it actually doesn't at all. It is possible that he is just bad at transitioning teams.

quote:

If I were a Michigan fan I would be concerned. Michigan took a MASSIVE step back this year while Ohio State remains a quality team, Penn State looks resurgent, Michigan State looks reborn and thriving with fresh talent coming in, plus other schools looking stronger like Iowa and Northwestern (Pat Fitgerald is an EXCELLENT young coach) and suddenly the neighborhood looks a LOT tougher for Big Blue. Beware.

Well, you're not a Michigan fan, and you don't know all that much about football, either, so w/e.

quote:

b) Michigan alumni who are compensating for some disappointment in their lives contrary to the built in arrogant sense of superiority that is part of the "Michigan Experience" like ending up in a lame, dead end job with a Spartan for a boss who has a smoking hot wife he met while at MSU while all the girls at Michigan bark. WOOF!

Typically Spartoons who make fun of the women at Michigan are Michigan rejects, or the folks who had an ACT in the low 20s and didn't even bother applying to one of the nation's premier public universities.

Glowblue

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Apparently RichRod has not been made aware that how his team performs has a huge impact on the economies of both the University of Michigan and the City of Ann Arbor.

He'd better wise up fast.

I wouldn't worry about the University. We're doing fine financially. In fact, we just wrapped up the most successful fundraising campaign of any public university in American history.

Firstandten

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Considering that RR went 3-8 his first year at West Virginia, it actually doesn't at all. It is possible that he is just bad at transitioning teams "

Thats the point we are trying to make, RichRod is bad at transitioning teams. The other point is RichRod made what we can all agree on is a bad situation worst. I thought I would see a Urban Meyer type transition, or a Tressel type transition or hell even a Dantonio type transition.

Instead we saw more of a Bill Callahan Nebraska type of transition. The story of how he failed at that school should serve notice that the same thing can happen at Michigan.

Firstandten

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A schools tradition is important to fans, alumni and players. It helps to insure continuity in the program. RichRod did one thing to make me believe that he did not care all that much for Michigans existing traditions and that was when he tried to give the number 1 to a freshmen. I believe he would have done it if Braylon hadn't called him out on it. I believe RichRod would get rid of the helmets if he thought he could get away with it.

You also do things like bring in Boren's little brother as a legacy. Of course he has to earn his spot like everyone else. That keeps the former Michigan players happy.

Also do more in state recruiting.

One of the major things that doomed Callahan's career at Nebraska was that he got rid of the walk-on program. Seems like no big deal but that tradition was important at that school and the fans and alums didn't cut him any slack when he started losing.

That kind of thing I hope I don't see from RichRod, where he is so quick to do a 180 with the program

El_jimbo

Post Number: 865
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glowblue,

My ACT score was a 28.

Maybe if Michigan had an undergrad Urban Planning program I would have considered going there, but they don't. Michigan State is one of only 12 schools in the nation with an accredited undergraduate program in Urban Planning. So while Michigan may be one of the nation's premiere public universities (which MSU is as well at #30), for my program, it was one of the worst schools to go to compared to MSU because they didn't even offer the course of study I wished to pursue while MSU has one of the best.

So sorry, I got the superior education in my field I was looking for at Michigan State that I couldn't get at Michigan (which I could have gone to quite easily if I had wanted to) and I didn't need to carry a box of Milkbones to get the attention of the women around me.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 771
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Typically Spartoons who make fun of the women at Michigan are Michigan rejects, or the folks who had an ACT in the low 20s and didn't even bother applying to one of the nation's premier public universities.

The comparative attractiveness of the co-ed populace or the average ACT score has what to do with RR and his abysmal coaching job?

However, it is amazing how automatic the typical walmart wolverine will bring up test scores for school in which they have never attended when their sport of choice is faltering. We've heard it for about a decade in Bball...now fball. Regular as clockwork. Even more hilarious is listening to UM Dearborn and Flint claim they went to the real U. Tell that to AA grad and see how far that gets you.

But I digress.....

RR is an excuse making, arrogant ass. He chose to firebomb a fine program instead of working with what he had and adjusting his strategy to the resources at his disposal. Fine, remains to be seen if he can salvage from the wreckage a decent program.

oh yeah.... and Sam "white lightning/ you tube phenom" McGuffie appears to be the latest run off. Pulling himself "minutes" before NW game (after practicing all week) because he was too banged up. Now skipping the OSU game for a death of an unnamed member of his family. Kinda strange huh? And this was RR's prototypical "guy". Or is he not a "michigan man" now that he wants to leave?

I know no UM fan will listen to this, but you people are blind to the JLS snake oil similarities here. You'll be doing another coach search in 5 years...maybe less. How many more losses to MSU and OSU are you willing to suffer through?

When that happens you people should be calling for Martin's head for his ridiculous choice which was the result of a botched search. Let's not forget this was UM's third choice. Two other coaches turned UM down...one accepted then recanted. This 3 win season and all the dishonor and broken streaks that go with it should be laid at Martin's feet.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the funny thing to me is...You give Spartan fans shit for saying we haven't made it a rivalry...I bet there are a few people in a state to the south that might say the same thing about your sorry excuse for a rivalry the last 7 years...

GO SKUNK BEARS!

Danny

Post Number: 7950
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverines Football Team,

You're going to help the Spartans get the Rose Bowl by defeating Ohio State Buckeyes.

GO STATE GO GREEN GO SPARTANS

MSU SPARTANS + ROSE BOWL = NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.
We'll bring you all a souvenir roses from Pasadena for your generosity.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny...there is no way winning a rose bowl gets us the NC...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5657
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glowblue, you work for the University? I know the campaign fundraising went well, but does that mean I won't be fielding phone calls asking me for money now?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 866
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wheels on the bus starting to come lose. Apparently one radio station has reported that Zion Babb is off the team and there are some rumors that McGuffie wants to head back to Texas and Artis Chambers may be on his way out as well.

Firstandten

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you know why RichRod recruits solid citizens like Pacman and Chris Henry. He has to replace the soft non-RichRod players with somebody.

Glowblue

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Glowblue, you work for the University? I know the campaign fundraising went well, but does that mean I won't be fielding phone calls asking me for money now?

A student, actually. I'd bet you'd still be getting phone calls even if the football team was undefeated, though.

Glowblue

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wheels on the bus starting to come lose. Apparently one radio station has reported that Zion Babb is off the team and there are some rumors that McGuffie wants to head back to Texas and Artis Chambers may be on his way out as well.

Oh no, not Zion Babb! Whatever will we do without Zion Babb?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what are you going to do without Captain Youtube? Heck, On Sports Inferno today, Terry Foster thought that at least 6 non-senior players could leave the team this offseason. It's going to get ugly in Ann Arbor.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let Jimbo have his time. 40 years of mediocrity is hard to deal with. He and other Spartans have had to deal with constant success at UM while MSU has been failing over and over. Now for one year the tables are turned.
You know those Spartans, UM is so embedded in their thinking that cant help but to let use know how bad we are, its in their culture.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 868
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I'm just a sports fan reading the tea leaves. And yes, I am a Spartan fan and I have seen more than my fair share of mediocrity over the years. This also puts me in a unique position to see mediocrity and the signs of long term trouble for a program where fans used to success can't see it.

The same faults and failings I saw in Bobby Williams and John L. Smith I see in Rich Rodriguez. He is simply in over his head. The signs of it are everywhere. However, if you want to ignore the fact that your talent-laden team just had its worst season in history and simply chalk all this talk up to "jealous" Spartan fans be my guest. I'll remember that in 2-4 years when you are looking for a new coach.

As far as our "culture" is concerned, don't act like you don't do the same thing. It's a rivalry so of course you talk about your rival. You do it too with your cow college references and your prancing about thumping your chests about all the victories Michigan racked up against nobody teams back when our great grandparents where in diapers (oh...but how could you say such a thing? You do know the 1901 team was undefeated and shut out its opponents for the season 500-0, right? That's why I'm proud to be a Wolverine fan. blah blah blah).

Face it, we are intertwined. We share the same state and sometimes even the same homes. It's an in-state rivalry that BOTH sides invest heavily in and talk about a lot. So cut this crap about how "oh we are Michigan and we are above the fray in this little backyard squabble". That's the same arrogance that makes fans of other Big Ten schools root against you no matter who you play. That's why I can't wait to watch the Bucks beat you like a bunch of redheaded step children come Saturday.

Lastly, this isn't about me having, "my time". I'm merely harping on the EXACT same things I brought up the day Rich Rod was hired and from well before the season started. Personally I feel pretty vindicated because just about everything I predicted came to pass.

Danny

Post Number: 7958
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo,

Once you feel like turning on the T.V. set and see the U of M vs OSU game. You will see the Wolverines win means the Rose Bowl for Spartans.

"S" GO GREEN

El_jimbo

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

WHy would I watch a meaningless game like the UM vs OSU game?

Oh...It's official, Zion Babb was kicked off the team and 4-star DT Jason Kates left the team on his own. Kates was out of the blue so who knows what else is happening.