Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heat. Cool.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 wins again, I'm going to have to stop being the initiator of these contests so he doesn't chip away at my lead over him. I remember as a kid these gates scared me, I always thought I was going to shish-kabobbed in them.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember getting to the games 2 hours before the gates opened to just wave to the players driving into the parking lot (which ended as a food court) - and then being the first ones under the gates - before they were even fully open to hand over the ticket. Which actually wasn't scanned - but ripped - and you had to pass through the turnstiles which also counted attendance. Actual attendance - not "paid" attendance where the mucky mucks buy tickets and spend the game in the local tavern, leaving the "good seats" empty.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Kapcia says hi to all - we have him, once again, involved in a major plumbing project in our home. He'll be joining up with us shortly!

Zitro

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark is Roulo's alum. It will be nice to hear from him.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell him to tell his brother Matt hello from 7.

Zitro

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah tell him 7 said hi.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4754
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe 8 and 9 would like to be included in that greeting, too.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay - I have to send him this link when I get home - I'll tell him he's the missing one --- that'll get him to join up!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Har, har, hardy, har, har.

Zitro

Post Number: 2388
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

45 years ago we heard Sr. Leonita make that fateful announcement. A moment frozen in time for those old enough to remember

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Was just thinking the same thing. 45 yrs seems like only 10 yrs.
Sr. Leonita breaking up during the PA announcement. Sr. Robert Marie rushing down to the office. That cliche question of where were you when Kennedy got shot of course always reverts back to SJS.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 548
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in French class in my sophomore year @ UD. Just remember the feeling of shock and loss.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in our 1958 Biscayne with a carpool full of Columbus kindergartners just arriving back on Eastwood...and all the Moms were just bawling their eyes out. The funeral...the bag pipes...it was majestic and riveting...even to this five year old.

Zitro

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sacrebleu!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And that's about all the French I remember after 2 years in HS & 2 in college. Of course, that's more than I remember of the Latin I studied for 4 years in HS.

Good old Conrad Vachon. Maybe the best teacher I ever had & I didn't even like the guy.

Jcole

Post Number: 4760
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Sr. Angus' class when the announcement was made. I was somewhat confused by it all.
Where were you when Jack Ruby shot Oswald? It was after mass on the Sunday following the assassination, and I had been sent to bed for talking in church when I heard my mom and dad start swearing and I heard gunshots on TV. I snuck out to see what was happening, and saw the replay on TV.

Zitro

Post Number: 2396
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I speak French to my kids during the summer. Mow de lawn!

Here's the Freep Front Page from the day.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. If J wasn't talking in church, her parents wouldn't have sworn, and Ruby wouldn't have shot Oswald. Now we'll never get to the bottom of it all.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must confess my reaction to Oswald getting shot was "Good. He deserved it".

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and Oliver Stone got richer because of it.

Zitro

Post Number: 2399
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad all of the Warren Commission is dead they might want to know this detail

Jcole

Post Number: 4763
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pick away guys. I tells it as I sees it

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in 8th grade on 11/22/63 in Sr. Ellen Therese's class. Ironically, we had just seen a movie in the gym about Lincoln. It ended with his assassination.

A few minutes after we returned to class, it was announced over the intercom that JFK had died. We had missed the original announcement about him getting shot.

Later that evening, my mom, brother, sister, and I took the bus to Tiger Stadium to see Notre Dame play Denby in the Goodfellow Game. It was surreal. ND lost 0-7.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Sister Eudora's class at AG - and wasn't quite sure what all the happened when the entire school filed over to the church. I remember my parents glued to the tv at home and identifying with Caroline.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born the same year Kennedy was shot. Freakish in a way being born the same year as a tragedy. I know my folks were attached to the TV as they watched all the news accounts. When my mom was born, she had no idea her birthday would be synonimous with one of the greatest American crisis as her birthday is 9-11. Three of my sisters were born in the same month, in November.

Jcole

Post Number: 4774
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman, we used to go to the Goodfellow game every year. My dad was 'Mr. Goodfellow' for the Detroit Police department, and it was a command performance, but I don't remember going to that game. Maybe I was just too young, or maybe he left us home that time.

Zitro

Post Number: 2401
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother played in 1 maybe 2 65'66' Goodfellow games for ND, but I remember the games being at U of D Stadium not TS. I wonder what year they switched?

Jcole

Post Number: 4777
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, do you mean U of D high or University? I don't remember UDM having a football stadium. I don't think they even have a team

Jcole

Post Number: 4778
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't they switch the Soup Bowl or Goodfellow game over to Wayne State at one point?