Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The University. They had a program until about 1974

Zitro

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure about the above date that was the last year a U of D grad played in the NFL. Here's a story about the Lions playing at U of D before moving to Briggs.

Unlike previous Detroit pro football teams, the new Lions team was loaded with some of the finest players of the day and the team leader was Dutch Clark, a true triple-threat superstar and the last NFL dropkicker, who became a charter member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Playing in the University of Detroit Stadium before crowds of 12,000, the Lions won the NFL championship in their second year, 1935. Those early successes firmly established pro football in Detroit and for more than 60 years the sport has been an integral part of the Michigan sports scene.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4781
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they replaced the football field with Calahan Hall.

Zitro

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember it being not too far from the tower. I may be confusing the Soup Bowl at U of D with the Goodfellow game too. Jokerman and Max Carey have already doone quite a bit of research on the topic on a thread a couple years ago. Here are the results from their efforts.
http://www.shmsonline.org/CHSL /Boys+Sports+10650/Football+10 718/Football+-+Champions.htm

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: yes 1935. the year the Lions, Tigers, Wings, and Joe Louis were champions.

UofD stadium was a nice size to watch a football game. The stadium was torn down in the 70s. Did you attend a game at UD high vs Notre Dame at U of D stadium? Eastburn did you? Jokerman? anyone else? Imagine watching an NFL game in a setting like that now..Outdoors, braving the elements, hot chocolate. Now imagine actually having a real NFL team represent your city..I digress

Zitro

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Lions keep playing the way they are they might have to relocate back to a Stadium that only seats 12,000.

Laing, now that your boys have finally lost a game, howz about asking them to lighten up this Thursday? You've got a lot of guys dinged up time to shake the rust off of Vince Young don't ya think?

Jcole

Post Number: 4783
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter and her husband both went to UDM, and graduated from there, and I just don't remember a field. I know it was all about basketball when they were there. It was the Perry Watson years, and BB was king, so that could be why I never noticed.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: The football field was along McNichols. It became a parking lot.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the 1938 Tower yearbook

Jcole

Post Number: 4784
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, KR. You know, I remember when the Lions played outdoors at Tiger Stadium, and sitting in the snow and freezing cold to watch them.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 553

I think I remember going to a ND game at U-D. But, then, I think I remember a lot of stuff that probably didn't happen. The effects of long-term drug & alcohol use, I'm afraid.

Football was in full swing during my U-D years (62-66). I used to hang out with some of the players.

The Lions also practiced there pre-season.

Congratulations on our 7,000th post, KR!

Jcole

Post Number: 4785
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7000th??

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zitro, that game sunday vs the jets was terrible to say the least. don't think young will be taking over the rest of the season - receivers dropped too many good passes, defense didn't tackle, and everyone seemed out of sync. all i can say for them is the monkey is off their backs. they were due to lose one or two, so now that it is over, onward. as for thursday's game, ya never know what can happen. thought the lions would pull it out vs the bucs - they ahd a good lead for a while. oh well. football and turkey - that is the answer for whatever ails ya. as for u of d football, my uncle played football when he was at UD in the 40's.

Zitro

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on 7000 JC. KR, I must have went to the 65 Soup Bowl game against St. Ambrose. ND won 27-21.

JC: I like BB King too.

Jcole

Post Number: 4786
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, BB King is the greatest. I wonder if he played basketball?

I'm confused by the 7000th comment, EB. Who has that many posts?

Zitro

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, some coaches don't put a lot of stock into a "Good" loss, but I think in this case it may have been what they needed to wake up and realize if they want it all it's going to be tough. Now all someone has to do is stick a sock in Lendale Whites mouth

Zitro

Post Number: 2409
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been KR with the 7000th post, my bad.

Check this out. It's from the 1943 Denby Navigator, I was looking to see if there was any reference to the Goodfellow game. Look at how they refer to an upcoming game against Hamtramck. At least they could have spelled Kielbasa right.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I give up - how can you tell the number of the post? Lowell made me re-create my login id and password, so I don't even know how many posts I've made.
and yes, to go back a few entries - there was nothing like a Lion's game seen from the 3rd upper deck in TS. I used to go there at lunch when I worked at the Book Bldg. The guard would let me in, and I would sit in the dugout -have some pictures by the goalposts. Loved that Stadium summer or winter!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember very well the 1965 Goodfellow (the 1963 game wasn't mentioned in our 5th grade class and of course the events of that day overshadowed everything else) game at Tiger stadium. Our 7th grade teacher at St. Jude, Sr. Margaret Patrick, made a big deal out of that game. She asked who were fans of what school, who's going to win etc...It seemed 50/50. Many of the families at St. Jude had kids at Notre Dame or Denby. Notre Dame (and St. Ambrose) were the power house catholic football schools in the 60s..many of the catholic schools benefited from the excellent CYO football programs from schools such as St. Jude.....and powerhouse public schools like Denby also benefited from the CYO programs.
The 1965 goodfellow game was especially significant because it was televised (I believe on WWJ channel 4)...of course that was during the day of only 3 to 4 local stations... and it was also during an era prior to state rankings, all the division playoffs, local access channel broadcasts etc. That goodfellow game in essence was a state championship game and all the bragging rights for the east side particularly...Yes the Kelly Road battles. In a way the result was disappointing..a 14-14 tie game.

Also, in the fall of 1965 Sr. Margaret Patrick made a big deal out of the Michigan/Michigan State
game....remember that was the year the Spartans along with the Fighting Irish were vying for the National Championship. Sr. put check marks on the board of who supported who...As I recall it was pretty even.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, 7000th post in the thread.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: the 3rd deck of TS on a cold blizzard day trumps the morass that exists at Ford Field.

Zitro

Post Number: 2410
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question for 7 or anyone else that may know. Do they have overtime rules for HS Football now?

Zitro

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not confusing that game with a Soup Bowl game, I seem to recall Jim Navetta dropping a pass that would have been a sure touchdown with minutes to go in the game

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: OO Sa Sa Sa, Oo Sa Sa Sa, Hit em in the head with a big Kielbasa.... I get the feeling that the editors of the 43 Navigator lacked an unabridged dictionary and cultural sensitivity training. Besides, "kabassa" is a much more popular food to consume during a football game.
On the grander scale it is interesting to see what was acceptable in yearbooks just a couple of generations ago.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - I agree!!!!

EB - I understand the meaning of the number, I just don't know where to 'see" it.

Zitro

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: It's on the main page.

Campfire_girl 7020 234 11-24-08 4:35 pm

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and now Zitro is 7021 at 4:55
and Kellyroad is 7022 at about 5:06 PM unless someone else sneaks one in

(Message edited by kellyroad on November 24, 2008)

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll hang onto my 6000. that and a nickle may get me a cup of coffee. ha!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: be proud of your 6000. The millenium mark apparently is special. Ten thousand is not that far away.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Z - I never knew where to look when we hit the 6000 mark - and forgot about it until now. I always keep this window open, so I've never paid attention to the main page. It's enough for this work addled brain to keep up with messages, let alone message numbers.