Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Lions Football » Archive through November 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10479
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Smogboy.

sj, are you saying my post is BS or the Lions?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3854
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

0 - 16 is looking like a good bet just right now.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2766
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That pre-season is all bench warmers. that is what is BS.

The don't gameplan and play the whole game, but it is not bench warmers.

0-16 is no biggie, it is what happens next.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the game today. For all that missed it, Culpepper is HUGE and the Lions still suck.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think about this...

The Lions as a team were 11/18 passing the ball... WTF; when a guy like Drew Brees can attempt 58 passes in one game. We are the worst by far!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankfully the game was blacked out.
Lions just gotta ride out the year and start concerning themselves with a GM. They need to get together some kind of search committee of outsiders. People who know the game and can come up with a short list of candidates. Then when the season is over get after the hire. A new GM should have control over what coach to hire and player personnel.
Ford needs to open up the wallet and get somebody good.
Any Ideas on who the GM could be?

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perkins Management Disappointed To See Daunte Culpepper Leave So Soon

ORLANDO, FL—Day manager Gary Campbell of the Perkins restaurant on Conroy Road thanked Daunte Culpepper for his tireless effort, leadership on and off the dining room floor, and dedication to service Tuesday, saying he was saddened to lose a server who had one of the greatest careers in the history of the franchise. "Every Sunday you could count on Daunte to efficiently deliver entrées or find an open table for customers in the face of an oncoming breakfast rush," said Campbell, who was shocked to hear the three-time Perkins employee of the month was retiring. "The fact that he was able to maintain a perfect 158.3 customer satisfaction rating despite working with inexperienced line cooks is incredible. We still believe he can perform at a high level, but respect his decision to walk away from the restaurant game on his own terms." With the departure of Culpepper, Campbell said Perkins would promote journeyman dishwasher-busboy Jeff George from the second shift.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehe

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford did pull out the pocket book for the last GM. Where'd that get us? I know this might sound like it's from Ripley's, but Millen was the 1st or 2nd highest paid GM in the league.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't blame the other owners if they pull the plug on the Thanksgiving game in Detroit. Tradition only goes so far. Bill Ford took a letter from the Big 3 and made a plea (in the form of a threat to pull advertising) to keep the game a few yrs ago. The Lions continue to suck, this is a huge ratings game and the Big 3 no longer are spending as much. Maybe they can give up the game in return for some low interest loans or equity?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 down 6 to go.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it would be terrible if we lost the thanksgiving game. That is the one thing we get to look forward to every season. we started the game for god sakes!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"0-16 is no biggie, it is what happens next."

sj, this is a laughable statement. We're poised to see the worst Lions' team ever go 0-16, winless for the first time ever. One winning season, 9-7, in the last decade. No trips to the championship game in 50 years. This team is a dismal failure and the Fords are dismal failures as owners. The NFL should pull the Thanksgiving game from them because they have become the joke of the league.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 673
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw Marinelli on the post game. This guy should be fired yesterday and take Dan Miller with you too. He has no clue. They have lost 18 or 19 league games in a row. What a sorry SOS. Freep had a story today about, how it's possible that the franchise could be sold and moved.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9278
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw that Drew Sharp was the writer of that article and knew it had the credibility of round trip tickets on the Titanic.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2785
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

sj, this is a laughable statement. We're poised to see the worst Lions' team ever go 0-16, winless for the first time ever. One winning season, 9-7, in the last decade. No trips to the championship game in 50 years. This team is a dismal failure and the Fords are dismal failures as owners. The NFL should pull the Thanksgiving game from them because they have become the joke of the league.

Why is the truth laughable? They are going 0-16. 1-15 if they are lucky. This season is done. Nothing matters about it. The only thing that matters know is what Ford does next.

They will have, if Dallas continues to falter, 2 picks in the first 15 picks, and 5 total in the first 75 picks. Any competent GM can turn those picks into at least a mediocre team in one off-season. That is what what happens next is more important. A good GM pick should have this team sniffing playoffs in two years.

The Lions don't have a lock on the Thanksgiving day game, any other team could schedule a game on that day, but they don't want to. So it is just a bunch of ESPN talking heads crying about nothing.
The fans who think football is so important are the bigger joke, keep boycotting and asking for empty stadium and then moan when Ford finally sells the team and they move. You will not get an expansion franchise becuase the fanbase is just as much as a joke.

It is a shame, they actually had a good chance to win today, but the defense didn't show up again.

(Message edited by _sj_ on November 16, 2008)

(Message edited by _sj_ on November 16, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 9280
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_, well said!

I'm in no way shape or form happy about the loss today or any other day. This is pathetic Lions team is still the team I cheer for regardless. Isn't that what true fans do? True fans aren't just the ones that cheer the loudest when their team is a contender- we stick by them through thick & thin (it's mighty thin now). I'd much rather be a Detroit Lions fan than a football fan in Los Angeles where they don't have an NFL franchise.

I seriously don't know if they will go winless this year but they've been putting up some good fights as of late. They've beaten the Las Vegas oddsmakers for the last few weeks already when it comes to the point spreads. And was it just me, but did the Lions get royally jobbed when Culpepper was denied on that horrific non face-mask call? I watched it in real time and I saw it plain as day; how the line judges missed it was amazing.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 510
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel bad for Marinelli. He's not a good coach, after being a line coach for all these years this was his one and only shot at being a head coach.

He just doesn't have the talent. At this level no amount of coaching up will make up for the lack of talent. You can't really replace your starters because your backups are worst.

Also any game time coaching mistakes you may make will just crush you since the team is not good enough to overcome that.

As we have said over and over again the problems the Lions have go way beyond Marinelli.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, as far as Marinelli is concerned, I am ELATED that he is not 'feeding the fire' for the many unscrupulous, and self-serving reporters, that their only desire is to provoke a negative response so that they can use for resume building.

Two intangible assets are evident about Marinelli, he is promoting/demanding a consistent hardworking attitude within this organization. Also he his carving a philosophy of higher standard regarding how the players act/perform on and off the field. It may not show up in the win column, however it shows on the field during practice as well as game-day and will eventually show in the community.

The problem is, the level of talent in key positions, to which he has available to coach. When these players are lined up against superior opponents, which in the Lions case is most teams, then it shows how lesser of talent (in terms of the NFL) that Marinelli has available toward him.

I personally think he will be a great head coach in the NFL because of 3 reasons, and that is...

(1) He is very disciplined in his football beliefs.
(2) All the players respect him.
(3) He believes in his system/philosophy (which has worked before in the NFL).

He reminds me of ex-Vikings coach Bud Grant in terms of his style and philosophy.

'Firstandten' stated,
quote:

...As we have said over and over again the problems the Lions have go way beyond Marinelli.

I totally agree, we can put Vince Lombardi in control of this current team, and we will see the same mistakes. They simply don't have the talent to compete every Sunday in the NFL.

We can see by the lack of talent at obvious skilled positions, how much damage that Matt Millen caused to this organization. The up side is, that it does not take much to turn a team around. It only takes a quality management team to recruit the talent needed in only 4 positions to turn a team around. Those position are as followed....

1. A above talented offensive tackle.
2. A strong blocking tight end.
3. A Big Strong Defensive Tackle(like a Shawn Rogers)
4. A shut-down corner-back(like a Dre Bly)

By filling the 4 positions listed above with quality players to go along with Marinelli, Calvin Johnson, Simms, Culpepper/Danny O', and the rest, the Lions are almost guaranteed a playoff position.

The Lions will have the picks needed this off season to turn this team into a playoff contender as soon as next year. The question is, who will they hire to choose the right key players.

Just they way I see it!

blksoul_atcha!

Firstandten

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_X hit that last post concerning the Lions out of the park.

Next time you hear Marinelli or some other coach say in the Monday press conference something to the effect of we had a good practice and we didn't play well or the players didn't play the way they practiced or we practiced one way and the players played the game differently

When you hear something along those lines thats a dead give away that the team lacks talent in certain areas. In the Lions case most areas.

Theres a big difference between practice between players that are the same level and games against superior talent.

Of course you can't do what you do in practice against superior talent in games. Unfortunately the coaching staff can only work with what there given.

Goat

Post Number: 10510
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same mistakes? Like what tackling issues? These are basic fundamentals in football and yet Marinelli still can't teach them.

I could care less about his remarks and how consistent his "message" is. Either he shits or gets off the pot.

The fool reminds me of Hitler in his last days suggesting they could still win the war by just stating that fact.

The fact is his boys stink!

Cherilus was yet another wasted pick. Dizon will probably be mediocre at best. Why in the hell is Redding still around? For that matter what about Culpepper (not really Marinelli's choice but..)?

Which brings me to Mayhew. Anyone who thinks this dirt-bag should still be around after this year is insane! Remember folks he was Millen's right hand man. Why wasn't Percell's phone calls returned?

Anyone wishing for 0-16 is NOT a true Lions fan. I for one am hoping they win but realistically they will be lucky to be 1-15.

Sadly theLions won't even be 8-8 until another 3 years. The entire organization needs to be imploded and re-started from an expansion team pov.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9283
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In so many ways, Marinelli was doomed to begin with here being saddled with the lackluster drafts that Millen brought here. Let's pin the blame squarely on the architect of this place. That's not to say Marinelli hasn't made his fair share of rookie head coaching mistakes either- he has and hasn't exactly shied away from them either. I'm not exactly sure if I really expect anything from him in the post game press conferences or the Monday morning after a loss- what do we fans or the media really want him to say? Is there anything new to report? are we waiting for him to explode on the team and toss his hands up in frustration? I don't think he really has much to say other than he's got to go back to work with the talent he's been given. He doesn't want to coach or discipline through the media which is admirable. He does have some core values and a solid work ethic (which unfortunately doesn't always transfer to game day). If the NFL didn't force him to be up there I'm sure he'd much rather be at the practice facility doing what he does. The media keeps asking the same questions week after week now- they've become as much of a boor as the team's play. It's the same questions followed by the same deadpan answers phrased slightly differently every weekend now. There's no major revelations coming from those press conferences anymore. Until something major changes (a victory, an injury, etc.), I'm not expecting anything of note to come from those press conferences- not from the coach or the media.

For those who want his head now is absolutely ridiculous and a childish rant at best. Imagine if he does go- who replaces him? If anyone thinks he's a lame duck coach, we'd be replacing him with an interim lame duck coach. Let him finish out the year, get a new management team in here and let them see where Marinelli fits into the scheme of things. More than likely he'll probably get the broom or maybe he'll be retained and demoted to a line coach- where he supposedly had some success at one point of his career. Calling for him to step down now serves no purpose whatsoever other than satisfying some morbid twisted fan bloodlust. Until we have new management with a clear cut vision in here, let's try to finish out the season by looking at our assets, seeing what we do have by evaluating talent, and then make our moves in the offseason (cutting talent, drafting needs, getting quality free agents, hiring quality coaches, etc.).

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The question is, who will they hire to choose the right key players."

Who would you like to see as the Lions management leader and head coach (assuming Rod gets fired) next year?

I would like to see Jarome Bettis pulled out from behind NBC's camera and brought on with the Lion's office. Bill Cowher as head coach?

Firstandten

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marinelli took a calculated career move in moving from a line coach to taking a bad head coaching job. He knew this was most likely was his one and only shot at a HC job. He also felt that if he could add some discipline and coaching he could at least make the Lions respectable.

However in the NFL you can't scheme your way to victory when you have inferior talent unlike at lower football levels. And you can teach blocking and tackling until the cows come home but inferior talent just isn't going to be able to execute properly.

So all Marinelli can do at his press conference is say he's still teaching, making sure pad level is good and blocking and tackling is good and letting everyone know "its all on me".

Goat

Post Number: 10512
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree smogboy. What would be the point in getting rid of Marinelli now? The two other dufus's would be even worse!

As for new coaches. I will wait to see who is going to be available at the end of the season and then make my picks. But I do not want another rookie head coach. No way!

Bill Cowher isn't coming here either. He moved to NC to be near his daughter. If anything he may do something with that org. if he wanted to come back to the NFL.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9285
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't even bother with guessing who should be head coach for next season yet. Seeing as how we're still smack dab in the middle of a season, there's no way the team could even dabble in that discussion in fear of tampering. Again, let's finish off this ugly season- whether it be winless, 1-15, or whatever... get top new top brass in here, see what their vision is, listen to their timeframe for implementation, and then let them choose a new regime to run the sidelines.

It was obvious Millen had no vision, no timeframe for implementation (anyone with a sense of pride would've walked out at the end of their run), and piss poor selections for a head coach.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzyindetroit stated...
quote:

Bill Cowher as head coach?

In Cowher's case, the Steelers success may not have been simply his coaching greatness as much as it has to do with the Pittsburgh Steelers organization's philosophy. ( to be sure, he deserves to get the credit)

The Steelers built that philosophy from day one in the NFL. Now, what they have in place is a winning philosophy that consist of interchangeable pieces, in other-words they simply replace the players and coaches within the Steelers longtime fundamental philosophy.

To come to the Lions organization, Cowher would be trading in on a Steelers tradition that has never had back to back losing seasons, for an organization that has consistently had back to back losing seasons.

Why in the world would he want to do that! It's also a 'catch 22' situation for any coach/or president, to join this organization.

I'm not sure if he or anyone would fit comfortably into the Lions organization due to the Lions immediate need and urgency to compete in today's market driven League. They don't have the time to invest in an organizational philosophy like that of the Pittsburg Steelers...(My guess is, other organizations have put the pressure on the Lions to improve immediately for the sake of the League and the collective team agreements... in otherwords, one bad team is bad for all!)

Lions Fans, rightfully so, are not willing to go through 10 more years of change that it would take in order to win consistently. Lions fans and ownership need change now due to our long past of being a losing organization and the heavy NFL Market driven influence. So then it would be disastrous to start building a long-term philosophy similar to that of the Steelers in today's market driven climate. The Lions need immediate change.

Marinelli is our coach, we need to stick with him and continue to build on his stoic belief system of discipline.

Management is another story, I'm not sure who or what direction that the Lions should go. At best, I would say go after the most talented and youngest person they can find that has had success on the NFL or Collegiate Level. What we don't need is another 'retread' that wants to prove that he/she still has it!

blksoul_atcha!

Smogboy

Post Number: 9287
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Marinelli is our coach, we need to stick with him and continue to build on his stoic belief system of discipline."

Marinelli just might have too much old Millen miles with the new management. He just might be the sacrificial sheep that has to go at the end of this regime. I'm not saying that his belief & discipline system is bad but is he the person that delivers the message to the troops the best? The new management team just might want to start with a fresh slate.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BILL COWHER!

Goat

Post Number: 10519
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget kids, the MAJORITY of defensive players (I believe 11 of them) were guys Marinelli wanted. What does that tell you?

Just because someone sticks with the same refrain doesn't mean that they are right and we should blindly follow them. Look what it did to us all with Bush jr. ; )

But seriously, look at (once again) Marinelli's play calls? Why in the hell would he punt with over 4 minutes left in teh game with their defense was falling apart?

And for thsoe so-called fans who are looking forward to the L.A Lions...screw you all! Don't want to watch then don't but I am for one will still root for this shitty team because getting drunk during tail-gaiting is the only thinig I get to look forward to each week.

(Message edited by GOAT on November 17, 2008)