Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is interesting to note that U of D College played the likes of Boston College and Texas Tech. ...Not sure the details of this report... it was understood U of D wanted to schedule non-conferece game(s) with U of Mich. in the 30s and 40s and they were snubbed.... apparently there was no love lost between the two colleges at that time.

(Message edited by kellyroad on November 24, 2008)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cfg, Since we cleaned the Eastside streets of the vermin it's okay to come outside again.

Too bad OD felt he had to bail just because Hitler & Stalin told him he had to.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, who didn't you use to hang with? Pretty impressive resume of associates if you ask me.

J, if the Lions did play at TS, and there are more than enough seats still left, I would love to go there and great them...with a bucket full of snow balls!

Cfg, Sr. Leonita told Lowell to reset you since you are way too chatty. Apparently, it was not reflecting well upon the school. Myself...I would have let it slide.

Soup Bowl? The Lions belong in the Toilet Bowl. I don't think they're even good enough to play in the Motor Shitty Bowl.

Laing, you can keep your well earned 6000 and your nickel, but the Titans losing streak will continue thru Thursday because the Lions at least don't let me down on Thanksgiving...usually.

Z, Vermin indeed. Mission accomplished! The Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings are the best team in all of hockey. And the Sharks suck. I guess OD lacks them. Who knew?

KR, do you work at the Historical Museum? Wherever do you come up with these things?

Joker, do post more often. I'm guessing you have some neat pictures of SJ Church, and if my guess is right, maybe even some 8MM. These would be a great addition to the SJ site on FB.

Diane, Happy Thanksgiving, and hope things are improving for you in Houston.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Hopefully Jokerman, Duck, and Eastwood_Rex can post pics and continue with some of their memories and anecdotes of St. Jude.

Zitro

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you all caught up now 7?

No wait I asked you a question about HS overtime

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 500 ft. rule got me thinking about the bars and party stores near St. Jude back in the day. George's party store was probably closest to the church building and the bars on Kelly and 7 coming in very close.....This all leads to this inquiry: Were there any obscure neighborhood bars within the boundaries of St. Jude Parish that you knew of? Not the ones on 7 mile or Kelly, or Morang, or Hayes but right on a side street in a residential area....perhaps on Boulder or Cordel or west of Hayes. There may have been one or two one Queen or MacCrary or Celestine...don't recall any north of 7.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4787
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall any in the area between Kelly and Hayes and 7 and 8 Mile.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, had to look this one up.
The 10 yard line overtime rule applies. http://www.mhsaa.com/sports/fb /playoff.pdf

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trivia Question: (DO NOT GOOGLE THIS)

Most all of us at St. Jude have been at or near Skinner Playfield. Where is Skinner Playfield? Again, be fair... no internet searches

The first correct answerer may receive a bowl of their favorite soup.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly area bars. Paperstation was number one...just a hop skip and a trip home from there. HUGE pitchers of Miller's beer for three bucks, and excellent ground rounds with sauteed onions...a great way to celebrate an NDHS hockey victory.

Jcole

Post Number: 4788
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, he wants ones NOT on Kelly or 7 Mile Rd. Old neighborhood joints like the ones you see on the west side, built in old houses, where the owners lived in the back or upstairs.
I think we were too modern on our side of the city

7andkelly

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh. Well there's at least that one dive bar on Celestine and Glenwood or something. The name escapes me. Didn't some softball player girl post the name of it once on this thread? J, if you can imagine, this place was Humphrey's on steroids!

Jcole

Post Number: 4789
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know on the other side of Gratiot there were some businesses like I think KR is talking about. There was a candy/notions store on Schoenner and Pelkey (I think)and the lady who owned it lived in it, too. There are still a lot of them scattered around town; some were bars, some bakeries and some party stores. Our corner of St. Jude Parish just didn't have houses that were set up that way. The closest thing I recall is the party store/paper station on Boulder near Manning. Most of those places were from the 20's and 30's.

Jcole

Post Number: 4790
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Skinner the original name of SJ Playfield?

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly---Thank you and things are getting better here. We are set for a move December 1st to a nice shiny new place. I have been reunited with a love I thought lost and it is nice and sunny and warm down here.

KR---Do you frequent FB at all? I've sent you stuff.

Back to 7andkelly---I have been to Paperstation and loved their burgers and beer specials. I'm a MGD girl from way back. Also used to snag some MD 20/20 when in high school and skipping class to go hang with the bad girls. Dominican girls knew how to party.

And on a very sad note, the Lions are "playing?" this Thanksgiving Thursday against Tennessee. I think we need to send TN sympathy cards and boxes of tissues for their tears over missing Thanksgiving dinner having to play. The Lions really ought to just call up TN and tell them they can have the win seeing as they'll have it anyways and this way every one can enjoy dinner including those that will be watching and trying desperately to digest the turkey having to view the carnage.

Back to kellyroad---Skinner Playfield? Hmmmm....was that the playfield that was in front of Heilman right on 7 Mile Road across the street from the Orthodox Church?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane and J Cole: No

Diane: There was a Luthern Church on the southwest corner of 7 and Morang. Across the street from that was St. Jude playfield. I'm not sure what Orthodox church you're referring to.

We've all been to or by Skinner park probably on several occasions. It is either in or very near the St. Jude Parish Boundaries.... remember no fair peeking. Turn on your visual mental map.

Diane12163

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR---Was it more down Kelly near to Morang? I recall there being something there once. I think it might have been near Denby.

(Message edited by diane12163 on November 25, 2008)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Before the soup is served, tell us exactly where it is...(No google map peeking)

Diane12163

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right next to Denby High School on the Morang side. Duchess is by it.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of soup would you like served Diane? You got it! Skinner playfield indeed runs along Duchess right behind the old Denby driver's training course and just north of the tennis courts.

Diane12163

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR---Thank you! I sure had to clean out some cobwebs in the brain to remember that. Hmmmm....soup. I have, ever since I've been to Lucille's on Kirby down from Henry Ford Cottage Hospital loved their Chicken Noodle Tarragon soup. It's so homey and tasty.

Zitro

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little more Soup Bowl history. There's a couple of 63' SJS grads in this pic.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - thanks for the vote of confidence and letting me slide due to my "chatty" nature. Chiming in on the bar scene - remember I was a 'west of Hayes" rogue at one time - there was a "Wagon Wheel" bar on Chalmers between 6 and Mapleridge, where I remember tipping a few brews. Anyone else venture there?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, Z - your attic must not only be FULL - but VERY organized - I'm envious!

Zitro

Post Number: 2418
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple other 63' St. Jude grads who played for St. Ambrose were Bob Gore & Doug Martinelli.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: and I thought I was a rat pack. Who were the players from SJ. You mentioned Jim Navetta before...that name sounds familiar...Did he have brothers or sisters? Where did he live in the parish?

CFG. The Wagon Wheel must have been on the east side of Chalmers between Mapleridge and Spring garden. There were a few bars however, some in the St. Jude parish boundary that were right in the neighborhood. I believe on Faircrest, Lindhurst or Glenwood along Queen, MacCrary or Celestine. Interestingly, when you look back at the history of St. Jude Parish, the south "green" section had an entirely different makeup than the north cherry or Harper Woods sections....one noticable difference was the presence of corner businesses on a residential street or lack of depending in what section you resided in.

Jcole

Post Number: 4798
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We 'Cherry' SJSers where in a more centralized business district setup. Our area was brand new housing when St. Jude went up, as opposed to the 'Greens' who had some history in the area. If you look at 1930 era maps, there was very little in our corner of the world

Zitro

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the above pic Bob Black & Bob Ortiz are the St. Jude players. Jim Navetta was an ND grad I think he went to St. Veronica. He had an older brother Bob who graduated from ND (not sure what year) He taught at ND when I was there. I'm sure 7 may have had him too.

Zitro

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between 7 & 8 mile, from Kelly to Gratiot, I think the only business that wasn't on a main drag was Frank & Rudy's on Boulder.

Jcole

Post Number: 4801
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about before. Wasn't it near Manning?
Also, in that picture, it says the QB was Rick Werner. Any relation to Ken and Frank?