Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through November 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His name is actually Rick Wenner so it's a different family. I know it's a little hard to read.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4803
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Ken was the oldest one, but then I thought, what the heck, maybe I missed one.

Zitro

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a younger Werner brother Matt too. They were all really good hockey players

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, did Doug Martinelli have an older sister named Donna?

Zitro

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Not sure, he was good friends with my brother and I used to be a bat boy for their Wish Egan team but I didn't know anyone else in his family or where they lived for that matter.
He was a star tailback from St. Ambrose during those years.

Zitro

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Yes, Franks was located on Boulder in between Manning & Tacoma.

Jcole

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, that's the building I remember. We used to walk over there after Blue Birds at Mary Diegal's house.

Zitro

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She lived on Manning just a few houses away right? This was one of those sawdust butcher stores. They would cut everything fresh for you. Ground the hamburger when you ordered it. They would keep a tab for families on a little spiral notebook kept in old cigar boxes.

My only gripe with this store was they would never get in the high numbered Topps cards which it turns out over the years have usually a greater value as they were a limited issue. I think George's was the place to the high numbered Topps.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh yeeeessss, George's Party Store, aka The Beer Store...baseball cards galore, a pack of 10 with a large gum for a dime...and Mr. Freezes...and Hershey Bars before they went small for a nickel...Bazooka Joes for a penney, and on and on and on. Never bought beer there though.

BTW, did Bob G have an older brother named Kevin who would have gone to NDHS?

Zitro

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, don't know that either 7, as it was these guys were 7 years older than me. I just saw some Topps cards in the store and they are putting the flat piece of gum in the them again. Maybe it's left over from the old days still. Hey, once it gets stale it's stale right?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son still laughs about the time we bought some old cards from Gibraltar, and I tried to chew the old gum. Bluck!

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have my complete set of Topps 1972 cards - at one time they were worth something - don't know anymore.

Zitro

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That set still books for around $1800 Gem mint. The 71' set is the one to have it's very condition sensitive though due to those black borders chipping

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW - I'm selling those ASAP. Yes, definitely mint, in plastic - or whatever - individual sleeves. Betty's got the 72 minis complete set and I know those are worth even more. I'll have to check on the 71's - time to cash in!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHA CHING!

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Books for is one thing. An actual price will probably be about half that. Might be better off breaking up the set and selling off the big names.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much for a '67 Willie Mays with chipped edges and creases?

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to have a fair smattering of Topps cards and also Bazooka. I recall the gum always being stiff as a board and it would break. It was hard to chew fresh let alone stale. The cards always smelled like the gum. This roommate I lived with up there for a while had these long boxes filled with Topps and Bazooka baseball cards from like the 40'sor 50's up and all in pretty excellent shape. He had I think 1000 cards altogether. Plus he has old tickets from TS that were uncut, in other words with the stub still attached. He has I think in the 10-20 count of those.

Does everyone have their turkeys and stuff for Thursday yet? Wal Mart's was a madhouse down here tonight. Parking was not an issue because there essentially was none. I can just imagine "Black Friday", and who came up with that morbid moniker?

Jcole

Post Number: 4811
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Black Friday because traditionally, it's the day that the stores' accounting systems become profitable, or 'in the black'

7andkelly

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a better name than Bleak Friday.

Anyway, I loved that the cards smelled like the gum. And the talk of gum and turkey and all those cards from the 40s and 50s have me drooling all over my keyboard. Plus Walmart's reminds me of root beer popsicles of which I think I still have one in the freezer, a.k.a. the ERBPR.

Zitro

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Topps first issued their cards in 1951 that's what makes the 51 Mantle so valuable plus the fact it was hie rookie year. so if there are 40's cards they must be a different company, like Goudey or Playball.

Zitro

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Max is right on getting about 1/2 bv on the sale of cards. The 71's if mint would probable get more like 70% due to the scarcity of good condition ones.

Diane12163

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most likely. He never mentioned the other companies to me, just Topps. He had some other teams in his collection but, mostly DT. He also had some other memorabilia like really old concert tickets and still with the stub attached. He had some coins and pennies from as far back as 29. He has books, too from the 30's up of all sorts of agriculture, survival and business topics and all are in really great condition.

Gonna go pop some M&Ms now.

Diane12163

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

turkey dinner

Almost Thursday!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M&Ms are good. I much prefer Hershey's chocolate to Nestle's myself, although, I really don't understand why you're eating them so late. You'll be up half the night.

Diane12163

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly----Gee Pops, I don't have school tomorrow. :P

Zitro

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 you might still have to go back to work next week. The 67' Mays books for $21.00 in VG condition. It sounds like yours is in poor condition. You're better off keeping it.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a few pages of 71's in a binder. In my spare time (hahahahaha), maybe I will pick out the big names, and get them on ebay.

Zitro

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pete Rose & Nolan Ryan are the key cards in that set. Around $75.00 BV each

Jcole

Post Number: 4816
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's on the agenda for all the SJSers for this long weekend.
My life is pretty much a long weekend, so all I've got is dinner tomorrow at Kate's house with her in-laws. After that, life as usual.