Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » "Dom Polski: Dance Hall Days of Detroit's Polonia" » Archive through November 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bradyborn
Username: Bradyborn

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

photo from the roof of the Graylawn Apt, located E. Grand Blvd at Chene, 1981. Looking south. The Graylawn was one of the last bldgs demolished in Poletown.
from the Graylawn roof, 1981

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shot Brady. I was in the Graylawn, last time I'd say around 1976. It wasn't in the greatest shape back then, but did afford a nice view of the surrounding areas.

Eastside, Mortalman, and others. Poletown's area consisted of far more than just the portion removed for the plant. It was just a convenient way of defining the area in question.

As Mortalman has stated in previous posts, Poletown originally was from Canfield onward Northbound on Chene, and also St. Aubin and McDougall streets (East and West) St. Hyacinth parish would be upset not to be included, that's for sure.

I'm currently working on a DB listing all the business owners along Chene in 1928. Almost to Hendrie street from Superior street North to the Boulevard. It's amazing to consider the amount of businesses along that street, and the various types, many no longer in use. Like Milliners. That's a business you don't hear of every day.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What part of Houston do you live in, Eastsidedame? When I lived there I lived in West U. near Rice University. I was teaching oil & gas related exploration classes there back in the mid-80's. By the way what's going on with the Jim West Mansion preservation project?

Great shot, Bradyborn! I remember the Graylawn Apts very well. In fact if I can find them I will post some photos of that aptartment that I have somewhere. Thanks for posting that one.

So, it looks like all of this thread information will be included in another or a continued book on the Chene neighborhood!

I'm still looking for a good, understandable, reason why the only thing that was left in the wake of the Poletown GM Plant construction was the Beth Olem Cemetery. Was it law, money, influence, politics, geography or something(s) else that preserved it?

And, Townonenorth, if you don't like the fact that I keep asking the question there's an easy solution. You don't have to answer it. But, I am interested in an answer that makes sense and possibly creates some discussion and dialog because I don't think it is a black and white, pat answer.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, touchy are we? I don't see anything wrong with any of the answers that I gave you. Here's one more for you anyway.

From THE POLITICAL ECONOMY OF PUBLIC USE IN
POLETOWN: HOW FEDERAL GRANTS ENCOURAGE
EXCESSIVE USE OF EMINENT DOMAIN
William A. Fischel*
2004 MICH. ST . L . REV . 929

Almost a third of the Poletown project’s land area was actually in the city
of Hamtramck, which, like neighboring Highland Park, is completely
surrounded by Detroit. Hamtramck (pronounced ham-TRAM-ick), was the
junior partner to Detroit in the Poletown project, but its development was
proportionately more important to the smaller city’s fiscal base. Its role has
been overlooked by opponents of the project because of the inconvenient fact
that Hamtramck was a truly Polish-American city that had no qualms about the
annihilation of the nearby neighborhood in Detroit. This may be because
Hamtramck did not have to remove any residents from its part of the project,
since it had years earlier razed the housing near Dodge Main to create a larger
parking lot for the plant. For Hamtramck, the Poletown project was all gravy.
(The cemetery north of the plant is the Detroit area’s oldest Jewish
cemetery, which was not removed. GM allows access to families to visit
graves twice a year, and its inclusion in the Poletown project was not a matter
of controversy, perhaps because the cemetery had previously been engulfed by
Dodge Main’s parking facility.)

I'd call the GM legal department, or maybe the City of Hamtramck, if you want more info.
Good luck in your quest.

(Message edited by townonenorth on October 24, 2008)

Mortalman

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“Touchy” has nothing to do with the question. I just wanted an answer that made sense to me.
You said,
GM allows access to families to visit
graves twice a year, and its inclusion in the Poletown project was not a matter
of controversy, perhaps because the cemetery had previously been engulfed by
Dodge Main’s parking facility.)
Now that makes more sense to me and I had no idea that the cemetery was "engulfed by Dodge Main's parking facility." So, it seems like it's a carryover from the Dodge Main days.

But, I'll bet there is some kind of law governing the movement of cemeteries, also. I don't have any idea what it was or is.

When I lived in Houston they had laws surrounding the movement of a cemetery. There was a requirement to "make a good faith effort" to find decedents of all those that were buried in a cemetery that was proposed to be moved for permission to move the graves. Then, if descendants of each intermit could not be found public notices had to be made i.e. newspaper and/or magazine ads, public notices like billboards, etc. There were some cemeteries that were moved using the power of “eminent domain” where the greater good is exercised. But, it didn’t always work because there were some cemeteries that had important historical significance that could not be moved under any circumstance.

One of my questions/concerns had to do with the seizure of all of the land and everything on it for the construction of the GM Poletown Plant which in effect allowed the state or city government to expropriation whatever they needed for private enterprise. Since this was such a huge undertaking that affected so many businesses, people, neighborhoods, etc. I felt it warranted an honest question about one of the facets of this project that has always puzzled me.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that respect, the state law says that it's up to the community that has the cemetery to follow the act that governs vacating cemeteries.

http://tinyurl.com/69q79k

The sticking point, or so I've heard, is the Reinterment of the bodies moved. I heard that the cemetery nearest to Beth Olem that could have taken the bodies refused them. The act below limits the distance to 6 miles, so maybe that would have been the issue?

http://tinyurl.com/5h37jq

Mortalman

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Beth Olem Cemetery is located in Hamtramck, Michigan, on the grounds of a General Motors (GM) plant, locked behind security gates garnished with barbed wire. This plant was constructed in the 1980s, with the entire neighborhood (homes, businesses, churches) leveled to make way for this plant. However, "state law prohibits the removal of a cemetery." So here it stands, behind lock and key (and barbed wire), opened only two days a year (spring, autumn) for just a few hours.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t ooloose-letrek/sets/7215760206 7836055/

Here's an interesting post by someone that got into Beth Olem Cemetery in Hamtramck in the Fall of 2007. It's a pretty interesting and funny post with some nice insights.

http://tooloose-letrek.blogspo t.com/2007/09/storming-beth-ol em.html

If I knew how to make those cool "buttons" to links like "Storming Beth Olem" that you just click on I would but I don't!

Townonenorth

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

However, "state law prohibits the removal of a cemetery."

Nope. Read the link above in my previous post to the State of Michigan procedures (law) for vacating (removal) of a cemetery. It's not easy, or cheap, and costs are borne by the city requesting such a move.

Also, the law also stipulates that the reasons for removal are:

quote:

for the reason that such cemetery shall have become commons, or has become neglected or abandoned by its owner or owners, or has become a public nuisance, or shall impede the growth of any such city or village, or shall endanger the health of the people living in the immediate vicinity thereof

I think that proving the need for the land that the burial ground held was not possible given the vast expanses of land already cleared, therefore Beth Olem stays.

What buttons are you speaking of?

Mortalman

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to:

The Eagle Tobacco Wks thread

To this post:
Mikeg
Post Number: 1915
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 7:53 am:

Go into the body of Mikeg's post he has descriptive links that if you click on them they will take you to the website instead of putting the whole URL into the post. It makes it neater and more descriptive. Here are the three I am referring to:

Footnote.com

good portion

Detroit City Directories for the years 1861 through 1907

Townonenorth

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is formatting within the DYES software program that you can use, same as quoting.

use the \topurl command then in the brackets give the page you are referring then add a comma then your text. like so:

DYES

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6702
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do I format my posts?

Mortalman

Post Number: 446
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

, Jimaz! Thanks to you and Townonenorth for helping me figure out how to format links to, The Heart of Polonia!

Mortalman

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will one of you "eagle eyed" Forumers take a look at this photo and see if that church Sweetest Heart of Mary???) in the top right hand portion of this photo might possibly be Sweetest Heart of Mary off in the distance. I'm not sure of my orientation in terms of what the direction of the buildings in the foreground is.

(Message edited by mortalman on October 27, 2008)

(Message edited by mortalman on October 27, 2008)

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those double spires with gothic treatments at the base make it look bulbous in the skyline photograph, Also, those same treatments along the roof line make it look like a jagged edge roof, also like in the photo.

I'd say the double-spired church is Sweetest Heart of Mary. That's just my guess.

Mortalman: I came to Houston to work on "Urban Cowboy" for 6 months, and ended up staying. I now live in Sugar Land, Texas, where all our churches look like pointy boxes or Independence Hall.

(Message edited by eastsidedame on October 27, 2008)

Jleurck
Username: Jleurck

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The double-spired church is most definitely Sweetest Heart. Look between the antenna and the American flag on the tall building in the foreground and you can also see a pretty clear image of St Josephat.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 608
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered what that was! Thanks!

Mortalman

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked for St. Albertus in that photo but it didn't pan far enough east to include it. This or the northerly looking south direction is the only good angles of view to be able to get a good image of the "trinity on Fremont (Canfield)" which would be a great pic! If anyone has one I'd sure like to see it. The best I've been able to do is go east down to St. Elizabeth's shooting west and using a long focal length lense to try to get St. Albertus, SHM and St. Josaphat in one frame!

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, this site has been hiding on the bottom of the list for awhile.So I thought I would write a little to bring it back up to the top where it belongs.
Both of my sisters went to SHM, many memories of St, Alburtus and Felician Academy also along with all those fun fund raisers. Takes a lot of money to keep those places warm. I don"t remember St. Josaphats, what street is that on?

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh , did you know that there was a small movie theater on either the corner of E. Ferry and Moran or E. Ferry & Elmwood. My Aunt used to go see movies there but she could not recall which corner.

Mortalman

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Josaphat is on the same street as St. Albertus and SHM, Canfield but on the western end of "the trinity"!

Townonenorth

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've finished the database of Chene Street Businesses from 1928. It's amazing how many types of establishments there were, and just the sheer numbers of business owners staggers the mind.

I'd think it would be helpful to some that wish to research their family, or ?

It's in a PDF format for easy viewing.

http://www.freedrive.com/file/ 548639

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO: Isle_of_fun
The movie theater was on Ferry and Moran.
across from a bakery, kitty corner, from a bar.

my grandparents lived on Ferry behind the bakery.
My Dad,(RIP) remembers the movie theater. When I was a kid it was a church. I think most of the buildings are now gone from that corner.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks SLICK
My grandparents, and father. aunt, uncle etc. also lived on E. Ferry. Yes I also remember it as a church.
I learned to ice skate with hockey skates, two sizes two big, stuffed with socks, at the flooded park, what fun!

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isle of fun
at the flooded park, wasnt that Callahan. skated there a few times. Mostly went to Belle Isle for skating. Grew up on Piquette, went to Immaculate Conception, then St Stanislaus.
I suppose you went to St Hyacinth, assuming you are Catholic. Most everyone was.
Nick's sweet shop, corner of Moran and Kirby.
Firetrucks always going down Moran from the firehouse on the Blvd.
It was the Blvd, no need to say East Grand.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Slick

Our Grandparents were alley neighbors. My Grandparents lived on Kirby and Moran. 2nd house from the alley. The son of the bakery owner had a crush on one of my Aunts and when she became engaged to another man for some reason he wanted to stand up to the wedding. The deal they made was that he could stand up to the wedding if he gave them their cake for free, which he agreed to. I also grew up on Kirby 4th house from the alley on the Ferry side. When I was a kid the store on the corner was called Bill's and further down Moran just before Frederick was a sweet shop called Sealee's. Both stores sold pop frozen in small paper cups that they called frozen Lindeys for a nickel. I played at Calahan park and also skated at the park in the winter. When I was a teen we'd hang out at the park sitting on the dolphin. A couple of years ago I drove down Ferry and that dolphin was still there.

Another thing from Kirby and Moran was when the kid who lived across the street from us shot his Dad in the head, told the neighbors that his dad was out of town and he was locked out of the house and lived with them for a week. When the neighbors questioned the kid he went into the house and set the body on fire. It was quite a scene walking home from 3rd or 4th grade and seeing the fire trucks and police cars up and down our street. I was able to stand on the sidewalk right in front of the house and they walked right past me and a group of school kids with the body. The murder was in the downstairs flat and there were tennants living in the two upstairs flats at the time. We couldnt believe they continued to live there afterwards. The downstairs flat stayed empty for a very long time maybe a year or two before they cleaned it out and new tennants moved in.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SLICK, what year did you graduate from St.Stanies? Sounds right on the name of the park and yes oh yes to skating at Belle Isle and the skating rink on Jos Campau in Hamtramck

PACZKI, I was wondering about what year that shooting took place?
Was there a small candy/grocery store in the middle of the block on Moran between Ferry And Kirby? Or was that the sweet shop Slick mentioned?

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Poletown-area restaurant I keep picturing in my mind. I think it could have been on E. Milwaukee St. between I-75 and the Blvd. What I keep remembering is the massive neon signage, on a tall pillar or cylinder, that may have even rotated. If you drove by at night, it was about 10 times more lit up than anything on that street. I'm remembering it from the 70's. Does anyone recall this place (possibly Chinese?)

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ISLE - the kid who shot his dad went to Stannies and was a junior or senior at the time. The argument from what I remember hearing was about the dad not letting the kid use the car. I'm guessing i was in about 3rd or 4th grade so maybe '67 or '68. My cousin ran into this guy many years later at Eastland Mall. He was out of jail and married with a family. He actually stopped her in the mall and asked her how she was doing. She was so shocked to see him at the mall.

The small store was Seelies and was between Kirby and Frederick.

I remember going to a bowling alley on Chene with my Dad and bowling with the little green balls they had for the kids and afterwards we'd get a rib carry out from somewhere on Chene. I loved the ribs. they were crispy and had a thin hot sauce.

Thinking about the old neighborhood has made me hungry for those damn ribs and a custard donut or eclair from McDougall bakery.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PACZKI, I always found it funny how everyone always had a favorite bakery. Our family craved Palmer bakery sweets and breads. Never have found a rye bread that compared to them. I have found the best Cherry pie in MI at a newer Farm market in Leelanau County. name of the place slipped my mind but it is on Cherry Bend Rd.
about 2 miles n of 72, TC Michigan.

When I grew up in the old neighborhood all the elders always talked about( besides religion) food gardening and the great Northern Michigan. How great the soil was, the hunt for deer etc.
it is no wonder that so many left the area, or have a northern home as well . Who really knows, I left Detroit only because the traffic drove my senses crazy.
I have been across this State and there is still large numbers of Polish People in certain towns and Cities like Alpena, Bay City,and Cedar MI.
I am sure that here are more anyone want to add to this list?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palmer bakery coffee cake was great. So was their little fruit pies.
I'm assuming that you are speaking of their sour rye breads. It was great when they were warm in the morning just after they were baked.

Another gem was the Torino Bakery on Dubois and Hendrie. They baked breadsticks in an old oven, a nickel would get you one warm from the oven, about 3 feet long. Great on cold winter mornings, with the potato chip smells from the New Era potato chip factory a couple of blocks away wafting in the breeze.