Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Lions Football » Archive through November 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now we need to start thinking about a GM not a coach.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Ford's past history, It wouldn't surprise me that if Marinelli gets one win this year, Ford will give him a new 3 or 5 year contract.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9289
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Goat. Marinelli does have some good traits but are they enough to make him a top notch head coach? He's made some serious rookie coaching mistakes and some very questionable game calls during his tenure here. I'm sure we can analyze each of his play selections and break them all down but it's always with hindsight and accuracy.

Bt rather than talk about history with this team (it won't change a damn thing) and what miserable road they've taken- let's focus on limping through this season and prepare for the off season where we'll hopefully have a management team with a strong decisive vision to making this team a contender.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Lions need a good GM. But what is there in the Fords' history of personnel selection indicating that they will hire one? Yes, the Lions may have some great draft choices in 2009. But what is there in the recent Lions' history of draft choices indicating that the Fords or a brand new GM will make them? I've followed this team for far too long and continue to believe that the Lions go nowhere so long as the Fords own them.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimi, I agree about Ford too, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. After 50 years of losing, when are they going to find that nut?

Smogboy

Post Number: 9292
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simply put, if you have no optimism with this team in choosing a decent GM, drafting properly, doing the play-by-play right, executing a decent set of downs, serving up a hot dog right- don't patronize them; it's obviously too painful for you. Be a fan or don't. Like so many of the true fans of this team, we realize our team's massive deficiencies but true fans cheer their teams in the most adverse of conditions. Fair weather fans cheer for the victors.

That's not to say we can't criticize the team's play, the ownership, the coaching staff or any of the decisions they make. Part of the fun and angst of being a football fan is being the Monday morning quarterback. Just be honest with yourself and make your choices accordingly every Sunday around game time.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a web site to see lions game today? As was posted a few weeks ago.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering that myself. It looks like maybe the posts were deleted. I downloaded "SOP Player", but couldn't get it to work.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Brandstetter, turn around and B-Slap that jerk Dan Miller. Tell him the Lyin's aren't playing for the super bowl. They are 0-10. No need to scream everytime they make a first down.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After hearing the halftime score, I knew what would happen in the third quarter. Same old - same old.

People are just too disgusted to even post on here anymore.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amen Big B.

I'm almost hoping we go winless this whole season, it will save me from keeping the tiny ember of hope that they MIGHT be able to do something next year. If we even win one, you know I'm gonna just say "well, at least we won ONE...maybe next year we will...."

Screw the NFL. I'm gonna go cheer my kid's high school team from now on.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit doesn't have a pro-football team this season.

Lions are a Sunday afternoon scheduled scrimmage squad for certain NFL teams to practice against during this season.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One win gets Marinelli a new 3 to 5 year contract. This is based on Ford's history. This team and organization is the laughing stock of the NFL. They only have one faithfool fan. He likes the Lyin's because they are consistent.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time in several years that I went to work on a Sunday instead of watching the Lions. 0-11, no wins in sight. May start working all Sundays.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 872
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't followed the college game much this year. Is there a truly standout no. 1 pick at qb or running back (no, not at wide receiver)?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The short-week Thanksgiving Day game looms vs Tennessee, who lost their first game to the Jets today..damn...that would have been unique to have the NFL's only winless team in the NFC Lions Turkeys vs the only undefeated team in the AFC Titans.

Probably would have set a record for the latest game ever in a season that two teams met with opposite season records, and the Lions, of course, own quite a few infamous NFL records, and are closing in on another one with 5 games left.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9338
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20043_stotter, why not be a man and call ALL of us fans faithfool? Or don't you have enough integrity and honesty to admit you're one too? Or are you that pathetic to constantly come here week after week and post because you've got nothing better to do with your life? Honestly, why do you care about the Lions or their fans if you don't give a rat's ass? What's your sick enjoyment out you get out of watching a flailing team or its loyal fan base?

C'mon old man, enlighten us. You're a pathetic fan and just as faith fool as any of us here. You're a given here EVERY single Sunday post game ranting about the Lions. You're more regular than a Dan Miller voice inflection. You show up here like a cheap whore on the same street corner every week displaying the same wares. Your material is the same week after week. Hmmm, the Lyin's (still can't spell them right and that pun's older than Moses) stink, Dan Miller is a slappy, the Lions faithful are idiots (and yet you can never admit to being one), and you give us the lamest predictions based upon ether. Any other enlightened thoughts you care to glean off of sports talk radio too?? Or has original thought fallen off of your cornbread too?

And oh yeah, one other consistent thing that you do oh so eloquently is you have no response to any of us here who call you out on things. Lemme guess- a smiley face emoticon.

Yeah, the team almost won but that's a given.

Let's true Lions fans discuss, rant and rave as opposed to dealing with our resident Lions fan/troll-in-denial, stotty here.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9339
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitchef, I would just hope that the Lions can squeeze out this season and find a solid direction next year by getting some solid management in here with vision. Their record this year whether they go winless or not doesn't matter- this team can't compete on a professional level. It's plain & simple.

I didn't watch it or listen to it. I came on late, saw the box score and wasn't surprised. This season is like a long, bad movie that we're stuck in a theater watching and can't leave. All we can hope for is that it has a fast forward or the film breaks.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 400
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cheddar_bob stated...
quote:

I was wondering that myself. It looks like maybe the posts were deleted. I downloaded "SOP Player", but couldn't get it to work.

The site is stoogetv.com. After a few attempts I finally linked on. The key is to watch the message box to the left, and wait until someone request the link to the Lions game and immediately (or within 20 seconds) click the link at the time the game is posted.

As much as I think Marinelli should stay, I truly think his message as been lost with this team.

Also, for all the Drew Stanton cheerleaders... he went out with a concussion after a sack. Stanton is as brittle as a pretzel. Why is he in a football uniform.

Culpepper looked confused and old. Why the Lions gave up on Kitna still amazes me!

The only bright spots is the game was Kevin Smith (before he went out hurt),and Calvin Johnson.

blksoul_atcha!

Smogboy

Post Number: 9345
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, now I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you as to Marinelli staying. I think he's a good guy but is he head coach material? And by no fault of his own (again, I'll pin the blame on Matt Millen for fielding this team) could even a Parcells, Lombardi, Cowher or Jesus himself coached the lackluster talent we have here? The head coach job here is like being the bellhop aboard the Titanic. What Marinelli preaches (hard work, discipline, accountability) isn't all that bad but in order to be a head coach in the NFL, they still have to be savvy on their feet in game situations- much like his players on the field. And there have been more than a few times where he didn't respond or change up tactics in the middle of the game to get a better result. Granted that could also be us being armchair quarterbacks but I think he'd even admit that he could've done better in certain situations.

Marinelli very well could be like Marty Morningweig in the sense that he's a better position coach than a head coach.

Again, his message isn't bad but I doubt if the new management team (fingers crossed) will want to retain him. When they come in and revamp the place, all of the old furniture (while still functional) may have to go just because it still may reek of Millen musk.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how many regular season games lost in a row now ? (07-08).

I'm running out of fingers and toes to count on.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9356
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Far too many there Bigb23. And don't even ask about how many playoff losses because we haven't seen that since the advent of the wheel.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10545
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have lost 18 out of the last 19 games. I believe that is an NFL first. It seems the Lions hafe broke a lot of records this season; all for the wrong reasons.

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bucs lost 26 in a row before winning their final 2 games of the 1977 season.

1976--0-14
1977--0-12

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didnt the Bucs win their first game against the Lions?

Smogboy

Post Number: 9362
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I feel for those poor Bucs and their pathetic records, we're mired in the middle of our own misery now. I don't think we can go 26 in a row, but y'never know.

Let's end this miserable streak now. And I'm not gonna care if we win it through our own dogged determination, the other team losing by default or whatever... let's end this streak somehow someway.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lyin's are such a sad joke. It's possible the turkeyday game might be blacked out. Well, if it is, it will help more people keep their dinner down. Mariucci got fired right after the turkeyday game and his record was better at that time than this, over his head POS, the Lyin's have right now.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9363
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry stotty- another one of your miserable predictions gone to pot. If the NFL grants the team a 24 hour extension, it's nearly a guarantee that the game will be shown.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081124/S PORTS0101/811240419/1126

Whether anyone wants to watch it is their choice obviously.

Now if anyone can give me a rational reason as to broom Marinelli out now, I'd like to hear it. He's more lame duck that George W. Bush a this point. Tossing him to the curb is symbolic at best- but do we need more symbolism of a miserable flailing team at this point? Why even come up with more paper work for the front office if he gets canned now? Why saddle Kippy Brown or Jim Coletto with the mop up duty? Again- it proves nothing by firing Marinelli now. It serves no one any good- not even Martin Mayhew if he's lobbying for the job of GM.

(Message edited by smogboy on November 24, 2008)

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bucs' first win back then was over the Saints--their coach was fired afterward for losing to TB.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9284
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So... Are they sold out?