Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Tigers Clarify Opinion Of Renteria « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2952
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/ news/article.jsp?ymd=20081201& content_id=3696945&vkey=news_d et&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

They lose the compensatory draft picks but, by declining, they make sure that a player who they don't truly want will not return and be a heavy burden on their payroll.
He still could return, however. If, as a free agent, he stimulates absolutely no interest, he could return to the Tigers, who can't say that they already have a for-sure shortstop, for a fraction of the amount he collected (note my avoidance of the word "earned") in 2008.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He needs to go back to the National League, what a bad trade for us.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2955
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And in that failed attempt, we gave up Jair Jurrjens, as well as Gorkys Hernandez (who is still a maybe-maybe not, but still.)
I agree with you, Kenp. That one is really, really hard to swallow.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9335
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone will be interested in him, thinking this season with the Tigers was just a bad year. But good riddance. Hard pill to swallow is right, gave up so much for him and Willis, he blows and Willis gets hurt doing nothing.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Tigers are so worried about Santiago breaking down over a full season, let him play 100 games and find a veteran utility guy to play the other 60. I don't see why this is so difficult. Those guys used to be a dime a dozen. There's clearly nothing out there in the way of a good ss worth paying a few million to, especially when they figure either Iorg or Worth will be ready in 2010.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9469
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Ravine, why did you have to start the Tiger talk so soon? I was just trying to wash away the misery of last season with this year's Lions' pain.

And after hearing of how well Jair Jurrjens pitched and what a class individual he was (he came back in the off season to take his Michigan "family" out to dinner as a way of saying thanks) makes the pain that much more agonizing.

I suppose Spring Training will be along soon and we'll be sitting back tossing back line-ups, stats and shaking our fists in the air about the great American past time before long.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 887
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes! Renteria gets 18.5 mill for 2 yrs with the Giants - and I was worried the Tigers might offer him $5 million for 1 yr.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renteria stunk in both one years stints with the Red Sox and the Tigers. SF must be hoping that he will regain the NL batting stats that he had with the Braves in '07. GL with that, Giants..heh!!

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.T Barnum was right

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.