Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Eastwood memories » Archive through October 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastwood Avenue north side between Rex and Redmond looking east (June 08)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Sipost's and Shephard's bungalows, and the Aubrey's colonial, KR. I can probably still name most of the families on both sides of Eastwood from Morang to Kelly from the 60s and 70s. Is the glider still there on their extra large porch? Rode over there on my bike many a time, that's for sure. The awnings are still intact, I see. Notice the indent in the sidewalk. No doubt a wide trunked elm tree was there, and just as sure those are replacement slabs. Nice to see the replacement trees providing significant shade.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry EB, but baked apples were beyond my level of priviledge growing up south of Seven Mile. Raking / burning leaves was a job, and after that we had other jobs waiting. Us boys weren't afforded much time for the culinary arts, although I do remember getting to slop the bar-b-que sauce on the rotating chicken on Sundays. Besides, why would you bury the apple in the leaves when it would get hotter sitting on top of the pile?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

7, I'm hurt that you'd think I'd hold such evil intent. Just wanted a baked apple.

I believe there was an infamous burro scandal that may have lead to this conclusion

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't there. I don't know anything about it. It never happened.

Eastburn

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the mission (which never happened) involved a sombrero. No burros were harmed (or involved) in the execution of this mission. (Which never happened.)

Zitro

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you clarified that kinda, sorta. You wouldn't want the PETA fanatics on your case anyway.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Good job on remembering the neighbors who lived on that block in the 60s. That section is still very well maintained.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the Aubreys, does anyone from the SJ class of 70 remember the Aubreys? Joyce 1969, Steve either 1970 or 1971

7andkelly

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Z...especially Mr. Pita...I like that place.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the house on Eastwood across the alley from Colonial. It was a nice wide, oddly shaped lot. I can't quite recall the name, but I would probably recognize it if I heard it. Next door were the Carions. There were two distinctive features in the front. One was a lantern on a pole in the front lawn, and another was one of those statues of a guy holding a ring for you to tie up your horse.

Lawn lanterns were rare in our neighborhood, but I don't remember seeing too many more of those lawn ornaments.

Eastburn

Post Number: 507
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, the apples were buried in the embers of the burning leaves so as to bake.

Now, as to the harsh circumstances of your childhood. I'm looking at the beautiful (even today) brick homes owned by the the affluent south-siders on Eastwood. Take a stroll among the asbestos-sided bungalows inhabited by us poor folks on Eastburn to see what a sustenance level childhood was like :>)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: I think they were the Veenstras. Nice folks..they ran an insurance business in their basement. They had a professional office set up...thought it was really neat. They were the "guards" for the Colonial bank after hours. Although many of the Eastwood kids would still climb to the bank roof even though the Veenstras (or Basses from across the street) kept an eye on the place.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, again, so sorry to have given even the mere appearance of thinking ill of you. I look forward to trying out your baked apple recipe some day.

As for the homes north of Seven, I'm sure a photographer of KR's caliber and quality lenses could shoot up some equally attractive photos of homes up there.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Veenstra's". Your memory is astounding KR. And yes they did guard the bank. I'm pretty sure I even got yelled at for making skid marks on Colonial's black top parking lot.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Aubrey was in the class of 71, Joyce was in 69 - also knew their mother who was a "playground mother". real nice family

Zitro

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7-Was there a Mike Veenstra? I seem to remember playing ball with a guy by that name.

It's amazing how some people have decided to return to these threads now that we've rid them of all the pervs and commies. The Eastside is Trully a safe place once again.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, you're right...Mrs. Aubrey was a Duty Lady.

Z, I don't recall a Mike Veenstra living there. Was he older? Mark Carion (MGRHDS) lived next door. I'm sure you remember him.

Zitro

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Mike was a year older than me. I may have the last name confused with someone else, I'll have to go through the official WE baseball program.

I used to work with Mark in HS. We worked for a company that washed walls.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job cleaning up Heilmann Park, Z. It is indeed, once again, "the dawn of a new day.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't recall any Veenstra kids around our age. The whole Carion family (next door to Veenstras) were top drawer. Since this is a Eastwood memories post it would be remiss not to mention Mark. His death in his early twenties due to a diving accident was as I recall the first real tragedy on that street. If you knew Mark you knew his friendly, outgoing, and dynamic personality. He had just graduated from U of D business school and had the world by the tail. There were several young men that lived on that block (between Redmond and Kelly) and attended St. Jude School.....Mark and Brian Carion, Mark and Alan Garavaglia (and older brothers) Paul Bass, Ron Karl(and older brothers) . Occasionally, Mark Carion would head west toward the Redmond intersection and join the rest of the Eastwoodians and the Saratoga/Faricrest groups for touch football.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to read about the death of Tom Tresh, a former Tiger and native Detroiter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/ne ws?slug=ap-obit-tresh&prov=ap& type=lgns

Eastwood__rex
Username: Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then there were the football games on Eastwood and Rex for those of us that lived west of Rex. Or the touch football at the yellow church that was on Morang at the south end of the triangle. We used to play there right after a good rain. Turned into mud football.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think your're referring to the St. James Presbyterian church on Morang and Mapleridge...the place where everyone in the triangle went to vote (I wish I could remember the precinct number)

Eastwood__rex
Username: Eastwood__rex

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep,
That's the place.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the house on the NE corner of Saratoga and Redmond still has the cherry tree in the backyard. Sure was rewarding climbing that one. Anyone remember the Sind's (Bill and Catherine) plum tree? That tree bore so much fruit, they had bushels of extra plums which they so kindly bagged up and gave to neighbors and friends up and down Eastwood, Fordham and likely beyond. And there was a couple or more houses with grape vines...one was Mr. Gatow's(sp?) on Fordham in the middle of the block across from the blacktop. There were so many vegetable gardens...easily accessible through alley gates...cucumbers fresh off the vine, bright red tomatoes, onions, chives, raspberries, currants... Plus the free to a smiley, appreciative child extra large sugar cookies from the bakery at 7andkelly. A kid could hardly go hungry in the 60s in the triangle...that's for sure! Not to mention food you would get at your own house.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: no wonder people in the triangle got guard dogs.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 and Kelly: regarding the Sinds plum tree...for many years Yours truly ended up being the delivery boy to the neighbors on the block especially between Redmond and Rex. ... never realized how many plumbs a plumb tree could yield until that job. Of course, our family received the mother lode of of the crop in return for the delivery service. They were juicy and sweet. Yes,the cherry tree on Saratoga and Rex yielded an abundance of sweet cherries. During the early to mid 60s many of the alleys were closed. Some of the neighbors took advantage of the extra land with vegetable gardens. With the right amount of fertilizer and proper composting some of those well planted gardens gave the Polla's and Chathams's produce section some competition during the summer months.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, guard dogs? I called them my good friends. The only true guard dog I remember from that era area in that area was on the SW corner of Fordham and Redmond (Mr. Shutey's old house?)...Brit, Mr. Bell's German Shepherd. Tragically, Mr. Bell died young, and Brit went soon after. I think Mr. Bell was a Detroit police officer. In addition to his grieving wife, he left a young son named Scotty, and possibly there was an older sister.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: You rekindled an interesting memory regarding Mr. Shutey(sp?). For anyone living in the triangle in the 50s and early 60s. The Shutey's home of Fordham was known for its garden....actually a minifarm. There wasn't an addition or garage at the time and every square foot of the backyard was used for planting...including corn. Mr Shutey wore overalls and a straw hat. He was the epitome of a farmer. At the time I thought it was a little odd and eccentric but in retrospect he was ahead of his time. Regarding the Bell family, the name Linda rings a _____(*__* sorry)