Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, he has a few of these.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just looked at a forecast for our region. There is at least a chance of snow each day from now until next Wednesday.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably coming from here, just had about 4" dumped on us this morning and another system coming in over the weekend. Just like last winter about every 3 days.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Merits, does Joe Ricci still own car dealerships in the area. He used to work at Merits along with most of his family too.

------------------------------ --------------------

Joe Ricci's Jeep dealership on Mack closed a few years ago and is now owned by Lochmoor Chrysler.

All his dealership operations are now in Dearborn or somewhere in that area.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: Yes, right next to the garden center next to the hippo, WWJ had and off site station...saw Bob Allison do broadcasting a few times.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Z. I sure hope you guys don't get flooded out again next spring. Say, who did FEMA contract to review the levee system? I heard they went cheap and outsourced it to a company called the Corpse of Engineers.

Zitro

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supposedly that was a 500 year flood, I think I have time on my side on that one

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole, I remember the R. Glad to hear your doing well.

Zitro - yes, yes, it's all coming back to me now. James Paul Sctinkin Schmeller Schmidt, as his mother used to call him, no I have not seen him in a couple three decades, but I heard through the grapevine he had some serious issues with... well lets just say not good. I guess he moved to Idaho or Montana years ago, but that's all I've heard in many years. Man you have one good memory. I hope I haven't told you anything in the past that will catch me off guard!

12468_laing, I graduated in"70" with some of the crew on here. And yes I know the Libecki's. Art, and Mom and Dad are clients of mine, and I used to hang out with Art's wife before they got married. Actually I just spoke with Art's wife last week. They are all fine.

Merit Drugs, Revco, and Frank's, I know them well, along with Vetere Hardware for ice skate sharpening to go hold some gals hand at Heilmann, and Epps Sporting Goods where I purchased my first mitt, and don't forget about Fantasy Bowling Alley with Walt the owner who occasionally gave us a free game cause we were there every Saturday and Sunday and spent most of our paper route money.

Zitro

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap, Let's see, I think Art married Mary Distefano are they still married? If so, tell her I said hi She should remember me, Chuck Stepp and I won a teenager league at Fantasy with her and Midge (can't recall the last name right now) Craig Chevrin(sp) was another that hung around Jim. I thnk the Wojciks lived around you too they were all good bowlers, I think Kevin still operates a pro shop around the area he used to be across from East Warren Lanes

7andkelly

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to love going to all those old hardware stores...Bridigares, Roulo's, Locke Lumber, Sears on Mack and 7, Monkey Wards.

I used to cup my hands into those bins of screws and nuts and bolts, and slowly pour them all back in...like they were nuggets of gold...drooling all the while.

One day, my Dad asked me to go with him to Forest City. I had no clue it was a new hardware store on Gratiot in Roseville, but what a joy it was to see all that lumber...all those tools...all in one place.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro - Yes, Art married Mary. Will tell her hey for you the next time we speak. Craig Chevy! have not thought about him in ages. Wonder how he's doing. Midge's last name I believe is Tucker. Wojicks lived across the street. Their Mom passed this past spring, so I saw them all at the funeral home. Kevin still owns a pro shop on Gratiot in roseville. He and Art still bowl together.

7K - yeah I remember the old extinct Forest City. That was the beginning of the Big Box Stores and the beginning of the end for most of the little hardware guys. That's part of the reason the likes of Locke and Bidigare are now gone. I still try, however, to support the family owned establishments whenever possible. They are still the backbone of a community, and besides, they alway seem to know more when you ask a question, unlike some at the Boxes. Today in electrical and tomorrow in the garden department.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you there, M. I get most of my good advice from my helpful hardware guy at Ace (Utica) and Warren Pipe and the smaller shops. Damman's in SCS used to be pretty knowledgeable too. But if I go to a newer Ace or ACO, they usually don't know squat, and they haven't accumulated the depth of inventory like the older ones, IMO.

I actually get some help from Home Depot (the established stores) too, but I kind of know who knows and who don't know. And I like the hot dogs. Lowes, not so much, at least my Lowes.

Zitro

Post Number: 2469
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: The Tucker name for Midge isn't matching up with the gal I'm talking about. At first I thought it was Midge Blake but then I realized I was confusing that with the lady who did the commercials for Palmolive that used to go the cheap route and soak ladies fingers in dish soap to soften their hands. I always thought she should have been sued for fraud. I remember Midge being of Polish descent and I think her last name started with a W. Maybe next time you run into Mary L. you can ask her?

Zitro

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Nice game by your Spartoons last night, big mistake playing at Fraud Field don't they know no Michigan based team can't win in that venue?

Zitro

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, did you know the Kasprzyk's I think they lived on Laing or Riad? The kids would have been Karen & Art but they would have been a few years older than you.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 564
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, yea, Izzo has this masochistic need to get his ass kicked real good early in the season. Twice this year.

Hopefully things will be brighter from now on.

Still - pretty embarrassing.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't recognize the Kasprzyk's. My favorite hardware used to be Deronne's on Morang by Whitehill. Used to get models there and remember when I had to have a note to buy the glue. They used to sharpen my skates there. It has been gone for years and has been replaced by another chain, can't remember which. Mark Libecki, Arat's kid bro was in my grade. Seems that Mark won a 5 figure sum when the lottery first came to MI

Zitro

Post Number: 2472
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Deronne used to sponsor a team at Maple Lanes for years.

Mkap: You graduated from Denby right? Here's a link to a 74' web site. You'll freak out when you see how many of that class has passed away already.

http://www.denby74.com/guestbo ok.php

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all for the HBD wishes - and it's nice to know that a lot of us are enjoying the same decade! You know, our 30's or so.....
Had a great time in Hamtramck for lunch at Polonia's, shopping at the Polish Art center (Yes, there really is a Polish Art Center in Hamtramck) and dinner with friends at night.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4929
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a great B'day, CFG. What did you have for lunch?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you had a nice BD, Cfg. What did you order at Polonia's? I am looking to get there myself in the next few weeks.

Laing, did you know the Gleason family or the Vreelands?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Polonia's... Mmmm.. Did you have the city chicken, polish combo, perogies? I'm hungry already and just had breakfast

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7&K, sorry, didn't know either.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polonias - best Dill Pickle soup in the state - we had that - and the pork chops - tried something different and wasn't disappointed. We also got cake with a lit candle - and the "jukebox" was set to StoLat as the waitress brought it over. THAT was a first! We've tried most all the restaurant's there - and Polonia's is our favorite for REAL Polish Food. Polish Village - across the parking lot - is a favorite for many - but we like Polonia's!

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy belated birthday CFG. Glad you had such a great day and great food. I've never had dill pickle soup.

Welcomes to Mkap and Detroitej72! Happy to see more Saint Jude's folks here.

Only 20 days till Christmas. Fast year.

Jcole

Post Number: 4931
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, have you tried Two Sister's in Rochester for Polish food? If so, what do you think? There's also a place up on Van Dyke near 22 Mile called Pyza. I ate there once, but thought it was a little pricy.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't tried either one - but there was supposed to be a good one near Lakeside - I think it was called the Crystal Mushroom - or something like that - EEEwwwww, don't know who they paid off for the review - but not recommended. It was pricy as well, and the only "pierogi" they had was yams - the "pierogi" was the size of a calzone and was sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon...come on....Polish food???

7andkelly

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am already late for my afternoon snack, and now with all this food talk, I can't hear myself think over my stomach growling.

Zitro

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya 7, I get a little resentful everytime Polish food comes up and I'm hundreds of miles away.

Jcole

Post Number: 4933
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can always come visit the old homestead