Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, it's louder than I thought.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's already on list of things to do next time I get back there. Eat Polish food till I drop.

7: A bag of Munchos will quell that for the time being

(Message edited by zitro on December 04, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4936
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or some Flamin' Hot Lay's Potato Chips

7andkelly

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, I second that motion.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya know, that is one thing i really miss being here in tn - ethnic foods. none of the good butcher shops, polish and hungarian stores, etc. i have found that down here, nationalities aren't really mentioned. sure there are the italian, mexican, japanese, chinese, thai and indian restaurants, a couple of jewish delis, but not that great. and, there is a city councilman who wants to make english the official language of the metro government. real welcoming, huh? i still dream about going to delray to the hungarian meat market with all the great smells and food. only memories now.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to Kopytkos for our Kielbasa and it's a meat market the like's of which remind me of a 1920's movie. Jimmy Stewart should be leaning on the glass windows of the market with a big ole Fedora. There are actual meat hooks, where the smoked kielbasa hangs and Polish Busia's who work the "register" - writing on the brown paper sacks!

Zitro

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are really making me homesick

Jcole

Post Number: 4938
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Greektown and Mexican town when you think of home, either, Z

12468_laing

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, forgot about Mexican Village on Bagley. was our favorite when we all lived home, and took my family when we came back. couldn't beat that place. Funny thing about that, when I had my wisdom teeth taken out in 1977 at a place on 7 mile towards gratiot, (burned out long ago), the next day i was eating tacos and drinking beer at the Mexican Village. ah, the memories. never really acquired a taste for stuffed grape leaves, though, but the burgers at Lindell AC were the best

Jcole

Post Number: 4939
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No stuffed grape leaves, but the Gyros are great at Golden Fleece

7andkelly

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nemo's is great for a ground round.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: Mexican Village is still going strong. Looks like there's going to be a bridge to connect Bagley over I-75 so Mexican Village, Xochimilcos, Mexican Town, Los Galenos, etc will be all connected. Si!.. If you haven't been to Mexican Village lately it's about 4 x the size as during the 70s....two extra rooms on the west end and a banquet facility upstairs which on occasion takes the over flow from the restaruant..still great food ...and yes the head of the bull is still mounted in the orignal side dining room. Ole!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: can't beat the late night, non-pretensious atmosphere at the Golden Fleece or the Gyros.

12468_laing

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kellyroad, wow. someone is making some dinero on that one. there used to be a market next door - got some good peppers, and i still have a mexican baseball magazine with aurelio rodriguez in it before he was with the tigers - he was my favorite after kaline stopped playing. they called him the "mod mexican". seems i heard he passed away a few years ago.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, the market is still there. Can't walk out without a churro, that's for sure!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, watch out for the FB virus...if it's real.

http://www.reuters.com/article /newsOne/idUSTRE4B37LV20081204

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always liked Mexican Fiesta on Tel and Ford. For Greek, Plakas upstairs in Greektown later at night. Great place after the clubs. Now I want some Saganaki. For Asian, Kim's Gardens in Novi is awesome. Italian would have to be Como's. Their Steak Siciliano is mouth wateringly good. I miss my restaurants up there. We have some good ones down here but, always a fondness for home.

Cool. I just happened to look at it. It's my 500th post.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 7K about the virus warning -
and I'm in agreement with Golden Fleece as the best authentic Greek food at the best prices. - Gyros are the best! Went to Pegasus after the Lion's game - and the food was 3x/price and no where near as good.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing - if I not mistaken Aurelio was killed by a hit and run driver while in Mexican Village. I'm not sure how many years ago.
Visited him in the hospital one time and his roommate was Steve Kemp who was also having surgery.

Zitro

Post Number: 2479
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A-Rod(the original) was killed September 23, 2000. One of the best third baseman I ever saw play, if he could have only hit a curveball.

Zitro

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some eerie trivia:

There have been three players in major league history named Aurelio, and all three were killed in car accidents between the ages of 44 and 53. See also Aurelio Lopez and Aurelio Monteagudo.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing - if I not mistaken Aurelio was killed by a hit and run driver while in Mexican Village. I'm not sure how many years ago.
Visited him in the hospital one time and his roommate was Steve Kemp who was also having surgery.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the double post - had a disconnect and thought the first post didn't submit. Z - was Senor Smoke an accident victim here too?

Zitro

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall right he went back to his hometown and became the mayor, then he was killed also

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought he went back home - but never knew he became mayor!

Zitro

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't miss the big college wraslin' match tomorrow on the Big Ten Network. The #2 ranked Cyclones are taking on cross state rival #1 ranked Hawkeyes at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. A record crowd of over 16,000 is expected to jam the arena for this one.

Zitro

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had me doubting myself enough I had to look it up.

After retiring from baseball, López returned to his hometown in Mexico and was elected mayor. He died in a car accident in 1992 one day after his 44th birthday. He was elected into the Salon de la Fama in 1993

http://www.baseball-reference. com/bullpen/Aurelio_Lopez

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be darned....learn something new every day - thank you - Z - the baseball answer man! I've had the best time going through all my old scorebooks, yearbooks, autographs, etc., Some I'd sell, and some - like Don Drysdale - never. He was such as gentleman and signed as he was walking through the Tiger's parking lot. Full of personality and charisma.

Zitro

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A signed Don Drysdale (nicknamed the Big D) baseball has a BV of around $200.00. Remember he was on an episode of the Beav and he and Gilbert called him out in LA and ran up a huge phone bill?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember that episode. Didn't know his nickname - looks like I'm going to have trouble liquidating my baseball assets -too many good memories!