Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Archive through October 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More picture links.

http://www.pbase.com/codered/d etroit_fire_2007

http://www.pbase.com/codered/d etroit_fire_2006

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lf. Those fires are non stop aren't they?
I like the pictures of the firehouses with the doors up and the rigs inside.
Well here are some pictures of some fabulous ruins from my town. I had hoped to have made a trip to the D by now and have some new pictures to post. But someday!

Dfd

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pictures of the rig that the firemen's fund has been working on. They're from the car show.

http://jalopnik.com/345100/detroit-auto-show-fallen-firefighters-memorial-rig

(Message edited by Dfd on September 30, 2008)

Lansingfire

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.haltfire.net/pierce /2008/august08.html
new command post.

http://www.haltfire.net/pierce /2008/september08.html

New Tac 2

Dfd

Post Number: 698
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lansingfire, What is the Tac 2 rig use for?

Racinian
Username: Racinian

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of Curiosity, since the second rig is lettered as Tac 2, is there also a Tac 1? Also, where are these units, along w/ the command post, going to be stationed?

Lansingfire

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess Tac 2 will be used for car fires in the parking garages downtown. I was on the DFD website and it stated that Tac 2 will be downtown station with ENG 1. Behind the fox. As far as I know there isn't a TAC 1. There probably was one but gone now. The website even stated it would be doubtful that the Tac would be maned full time. I'm not sure where the CP is going to be stationed. Could be with HM and Lad 10. but the website said may be at the garage and brought out when needed.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit ran four Tactical Mini Pumpers."Tac's".
Two Dodge/Seagraves and two Chevy/Pierce.
Four Chevy/Pierce replaced the original units.
Tac 1 will probably return to E. 1 quarters.
E.1 at Park and Montcalm was E.3/L.3.
The Command Post has always been a stand by unit.It will be assigned to an active station.
When needed, a driver qualified F.F. will take it to the scene. I mistakenly identified the new
Command Cars as Excursions. They are Expiditions.That was on another thread. I appreciate all the e-mails correcting me.I just wish my "friends" didn't take soo much GLEE in it.

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, You just need to start picking BETTER friends !!!!!!!!

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If any of you are interested, my "Floating Medicine Show " will be at E.17 on Saturday.
10:00 to 12:00. Check the Fund web site for info on a fund raiser for the Memorial Rig.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engine Companies No. 11 & 28 Firehouse E. Milwaukee.

fh

Dfd

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman, Is that a recent picture?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is L.Co. 11. E.11 is at Gratiot and Grandy.
Both long closed. E.11 is under going it's second
restoration as a museum and community center.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 415
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd, that photo is from 2003. So, it's 5 years ago. My how time does fly!

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a photo of E.28 L.11. E 11 is at
Gratiot and Grandy.E.28 closed in 1948.
L.11 moved into L.15 quarters on Kenilworth
east of Woodward in 1982. Out of service in 1992.
E.11 is undergoing it's second restoration.
It will be a museum and community center.

Dfd

Post Number: 798
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have pictures of Detroit fire alarm boxes on the street corners. This one was at Yorktown Road & Rhode Island in Cincinnati. It's Detroit sister was at Belton & Piedmont. Box# 4437

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3780
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but y'know, I went through some antique shops in Traverse City last summer, and doggoned if there weren't a number of old Gamewell fire alarm boxes for sale. Prices were $150 to $300, the higher prices for being with a key.

Didn't buy one. My wife would have zonked me.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936; do you might have an old blue call-box? I thought there were scrapping them at one time and police officers could get them for a good price.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3781
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had one, gave it away when I moved to Las Vegas. Trying to save room on the truck, I guess.....

Price was good, all right. Like zero down and no payments. They were stacked at the PLC warehouse next to the DFD training school at Warren and Lawton.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had posted this earlier on this thread but since the discussion came up I'll share it again.

Dfd

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent picture. Where was it located when it was in service?

Zitro

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To tell you the truth I don't know. I've often wondered if the 7-36 number which of course told the fire house it's location could be traced somehow. It's been in my family for at least 60 years. My grandfather was a Civil Servant and would go around the city making sure they were wound up and maintained. Father served on the DFD from 49-77

Lansingfire

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have old box #67 from detroit. Not sure where it was located. Was told near Cobo, but who knows.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro: Was your Grandfather Bob Grandy ?
F.C. Dan researched your box. It came from
the Post office at Shelby and Fort.
The 7 is a preliminary.The box would be
dispatched as Preliminary 7 on box 36.
The preliminary indicated an exact
location rather than the street corner.
Lansingfire: Your box was at Second and Larned.
Ray: You should have bought one.Now they are worth more than my Mutual Fund.

Zitro

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome!! Please pass my thanks along to Dan. My Grandfathers name was Claude Thompson. My dad was Joe Ortiz

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 560
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by Engine Co. 60 on Hoover not too far south of 8 Mile today (at Manning, I think). The firehouse seems to be in good shape but the old wooden doors could use a good scraping and repaint. Nice to see it hasn't been closed up - who knows when it might be needed!

Speaking of that, there was something on fire around 3PM in the Michigan Ave and Parkinson area today on the west side. Looked like it may have been a garage or something in an alley a block or so north of Michigan. I never saw or heard any fire trucks....and it was smoking before I drove by and at least a little while after I passed. Sure would have been convenient if the station on Central (No. 37) had not been stripped of their engine a couple years back....

(Message edited by busterwmu on October 22, 2008)

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there is a chance of E.60
closing.The days of calling E.60 the
rest home are over.We used to say it
was the only house where the men slept
in pajamas.It is now one of the busiest
companies. This months Box 42 Newsletter
features E.60 most famous fire.Thirty
five years ago,10/18/'73, Box 8796 Fifth
alarm plus special call, Michigan Abrasive
Company 11900 E. Eight Mile Road.
Up for a little trivia ? Something
happened at this fire for the first
time.It has not happened again.What
was it ? Detroitteacher and MTM,no fair
asking your fathers .

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 997
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it that the DFD received assistance from another municipality?

PS I recently drove past the station house, near Meyers & Grand River - the place looks great; just as I always remembered it.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good guess.You are on the right track.
Assistance was rendered,but not by
a Fire Department. E.49 is in great shape.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the Deputy Chiefs was sent airborne in a DPD helicopter to get a better view of the area involved and to aid in directing firefighting operations