Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned Polish food?
Just made about 100lbs of sausage over the weekend with my Dad and a couple of friends. We made Fresh Kielbasa, hot italian, two different kinds of wine and cheese. Mmmmmmm, Mmmmm, Good!

Zitro, thanks for the DH link. Some fond memories there as well. Hard to believe we are pushing 35 years out. My, my, where does the time go?

Hello CFG!

Hey! Does anyone remember the pinball parlor on Kelly road back in the early seventies? I can't remember the name. All I can remember is Zitro's wrist shot on the fooseball table. Kerplunk... game over. Who's next?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M, seem to remember more Wizards on 8 and I think Schoenherr.

Paper Station was pretty popular back in the day too...excellent burgers...generous pitchers for 3 bucks.

Thought of you today. Water heater's been on the fritz lately...intermittent. Usually it reset with the switch, but not today. They diagnosed it over the phone to be a sensor based on the lights, but I have to wait for it to arrive. Restart sequence failed so I thought we were in hot, I mean cold, water. An idea popped in maybe the part was just dusty, so I blew in some air, and it's working again...so far.

(Message edited by 7andkelly on December 05, 2008)

7andkelly

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weird coincidence with the Aurelio's. Z, how many Aurelio's are in baseball today? And how many retired Aurelio's survived age 53?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, I know you all do a lot of ridin' in the summer. Snowmobiling now?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently the life expectancy of a Major League baseball player named Aurelio is no more than 52 or so, I'd be changing my name.

M: I can't remember the name of the arcade on Kelly but I do know it was own by Tony Ingrao of Ingrao Hall fame, maybe it was Tony's. Still give the young whippersnappers a lesson on the foosball table whenever I get the chance, you should see the look on thier face when the old man snaps a shot off on them.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 566
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, no snowmobiles. Still take the sidecar rig out for short rides every now & then.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4959
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much snow do you have up there, EB? Anything appreciable?

Eastburn

Post Number: 567
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. Seems you folks in the banana belt often get more than we do.

Jcole

Post Number: 4964
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we're getting some more today. Only a couple inches, but still...
I think this is going to be one of the snowiest, coldest Christmas seasons we've had in a loooong time.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

temps here today are highs of 40-ish. will be getting the tree up today, and of course watching navy beat army again!

Jcole

Post Number: 4965
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we're set to get all the way up to 25° with a low of around 18°.
Yea!

Zitro

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It so cold here today I actually saw a lawyer putting his hands in his own pockets.

Jcole

Post Number: 4966
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww, he was just protecting his cash,... or something.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's official folks....By tradition the wearing of the blue and gold St. Jude Jets winter cap during the first shoveling of snow means the opening of winter season. 26 degrees and overcast in downriver..

Eastburn

Post Number: 568
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

25, windy, grey, flurries in Pt. Austin, Pt, Hope.

We're heading down to the banana belt (Ortonville) for a party tonight & dinner tomorrow at La Dolce Vita in Detroit with ND '62 grads & spouses.

And...you bet I'll be packing!

3 folks who reviewed the place said they'd been mugged in the parking lot. I should be safe since I'll have about 1/2 of ND's 61-62 football team with me. Of course, those dudes are pretty old now.

Jcole

Post Number: 4968
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet they could STILL beat the Lions.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea, EB. If the weather gets worse, you might have to spend the night down here.

Jcole

Post Number: 4969
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's La Dolce Vita located?

Zitro

Post Number: 2487
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Did you go to school with Vic Battani?

Eastburn

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll be staying at my son's place in Washington Twp.

I think we could put together a squad from the SJS thread that could whip the Lions.

Jcole

Post Number: 4970
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG and I can cheerlead. That ought to spur you on.

Eastburn

Post Number: 570
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, Woodward south of 6 Mile.

Cheerlead? Hell you're the offensive line. (And don;'t read anything extra into the word "offensive".)

Vic was 4 years ahead of me. He was in ND's 1st graduating class. I knew him. He made a fortune selling life insurance to ND and UD students & grads. He was a big time football guy at both schools.

Jcole

Post Number: 4971
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, then I'll be able to do the 'Defense, defense, {clap, clap, clap clap clap}'cheer in my down time.

Mkap

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did a small job today for Joe Choike up on Manning in the old hood. He is doing okay. Asked about Laura, she is also doing okay. I think he said she had five children, youngest sixteen. God Bless her!
As I was in the old neighborhood, I decided to drive past my old house on Rossini. Aluminum siding stripped as high as you can reach. My Father would be sick! But hey, at least I got to see the pale green asbestos underneath. Brought back some old memories of family get togethers there having bar-b-ques and such. Someone here a few days ago said you can never go back. Yeah! I guess, only in memory. What a loss.

Z - I know what you mean. If I play foosball with some young family members they can't believe it when I score off the wall from the second row back. And they absolutely freak if I score straight down the pike from the golie position. Although I have to admit, the shot is alot slower these days, and I cry from joint pain for several days after the encounter. I really do need to just watch.

(Message edited by mkap on December 06, 2008)

Mkap

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 - I remember Wizards, I think it was still up and running a couple three years ago.

Hope the HW Tank is fixed. Those direct vent buggers can be tricky. Many things can go wrong, and they are not cheap to fix. Good luck!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M, Fedex dropped off the new sensor at noon, and I had it installed and tested by 12:15. Didn't even need to do the restart sequence of left and right buttons (which is like defusing a bomb because you only get 30 seconds). I see the manual shows all the error codes so I'll know to check for them next time. Fortunately, it's under warrantee. Still think the old sensor was just dusty.

Wizards was cool because I knew I wasn't supposed to be there, and it was dark, and they had a ton of machines, and kids smoked cigarettes inside...a no rules kind of place.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, I call quarterback. You, you and you go long. And I get 5 Mississippi's.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: Are you referring to the Choikes just off of Crusasde on Manning? If so, I worked with Laura in the early 70s at Heilmann. She was a life guard. I believe she had a sister Marilyn and there was a cousin named Kathyrn (sp?) both of whom were in my grade at St. Jude (1967)....what a blast from the past

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J- you made a tear come to my eye as I pictured us as cheerleaders - you know - doing the splits - cartwheels - you jumping up on my shoulders - hahahahaha - I think Offensive line wasn't too far off - speaking for myself, of course! The little pleated skirts would definitely cause some jaws to drop and we could provide a distraction -
and WELCOME MKAP!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO WINGS GO! Huge shootout win over the Hawks.
Marian Hossa is a sure keeper. Reminds me of Gordie, actually.