Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through December 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great work OG. Ruth has the A2 event nailed down and you seem to have our day in Detroit on its way. Thanks. It's a shame that the Zeitgeist (formerly the Michigan Gallery) closed. It was a true Detroit treasure for about 35 years, a few blocks from the BoHo. I'm still sad. I was hoping to get the crew over to the Zeitgeist at some point. I was blindsided by the closing announcement.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 656
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Praise the lord! I just came from church and my N/A, A/A meetings. Praise the lord and pass the tuinals!

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My idea for a day/night in Detroit, is to rent an airport type van, if enough people are interested, and cruise the city. It would have to be a separate event from the Firefly and BoHo. There's too much to see and do. We might be able to get a van that allows alcoholic beverages on board. Regardless, I intend to hit some watering holes. Nothing fancy - I'm a dive bar fan. No hipster joints. Don't like 'em. I'll guarantee you a few places that no one else here knows, except, maybe Detgrrl.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally a place mentioned here that I CAN RELATE TO. DAVIDS Books, and some how remember that mural in A2.Stnfrnt may hafta go off line for awhile the owner of this computer might leave this house But I,LL MISS THIS THREAD for the time being.

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smilin' Neil (now) from the organ loft

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great day to be alive in south florida HIGH today 75 and sunny how's the weather up there??

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cold and Grey...18*...Just a beautiful day in the "D"

Stillrockin

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wish I was there NOT

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, Hoover, quit being a hater!

Hi, Neil, glad to see you! Looking good, dude.

1KD, we'll have to get together soon amd talk this soiree up a bit.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SR, said "What a great day to be alive in south florida HIGH today 75 and sunny how's the weather up there??
SR< HOW HUMID???????? drip drip drip

A2_dj
Username: A2_dj

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Wingnut was from Puppy Dog and Rex The Wonder Dog.

Candy_man

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey,Det313grrl cool, refresh my memory of you first.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you have to give her at T shirt

Candy_man

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Candy man in the Candy Van".

Stillrockin

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome A2 dj

Candy_man

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Remember Crash?"

Candy_man

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Gus & Neil at Bolinas Bay 1969".

Candy_man

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Leaving California for Michigan."

A2_dj
Username: A2_dj

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Crash. I remember Jones biting me in the ass once too, right after I was petting him and turned to walk away.
Nice doggie.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say, this isn't A2dj is it?

As far as Puppy Dogs lineage, that's not very clear. She had over 32 pups. The only thing I am certain of is that Jones was the first one to have passionate German sex with her.

ps.gif

(Message edited by old_guy on December 08, 2008)

Old_guy

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil, I bet you couldn't drive a van that said Candy Man on the side more than two blocks these days without getting pulled over. Of course if the cops pulled you over back then, I guess you'd have to explain that you lived in the organ room, in a mansion down by the river. Then they would have let you go.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you should see what he did to my turkey

Candy_man

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BushMark,I remember being at the Grande Ballroom several times. Is it still there? Saw Janice Joplin & Tim Buckley there and many more. Where are you crashing during the reunion? Thought you said it was Gus' b-day in June. Yours too?

Old_guy

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone seen this man. Last seen in this picture in 1974 during a car jacking. Claimed he was just trying to grab some Iggy Pop 8 Tracks.

fgy.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, mines on the 11th. If I remember correctly, someone else's is on the 12th. Please step forward birthday people. I believe the Grande is totally trashed. Somewhere on this site, there are a number of interior photos that are great, if not eerie. I was trying to find them the other night but was unsuccessful. Anybody else know where they're located?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 663
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grande is a shell only. It's been rumored for a dozen reincarnations over the years, most recently a church, but none have come to fruition. Lowell(DY founder and moderator)had photos on this site but they may be in mothballs due to huge archives DY maintains. Plea with him and you might get a peek, after all, he is the pre-eminent photo documentarian of Detroit and it's history. Lowell, oh Lowell, where are you? Come out, come out. Candy, I likely saw the same shows at the Grande that you mentioned. I graduated from high school about 6 blocks from the Grande. Even in high school I'd walk by the Grande(in it's rock infancy)and wonder about the place. I was soon to find out. Wow! Too much! All them long-haired f*+#!*g hippies hanging out and partying. I was at Frost's live recording of 'Rock N'Roll Music' at the Grande. I met a very tiny girl(Hoover, take it easy, she wasn't a 14 year old), we got high and she sat on my shoulders for most of the concert because she was to tiny to see the stage. After the show, I never saw her again. Talk about being used and thrown by the side of the road.

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all
I've been booking reservations for my husband and me - - - things really getting booked up in A2. The NASCAR event is 20 miles west of A2 and hotels are pretty pricey for the weekend. If you want to stay in A2 - try Extended Stay - they still have good rates. Hotels around Metro Airport are still reasonable and you should be able to catch a decent rate in the Detroit area. I suggest that you at least reserve something for the weekend now if you want to be in A2.

Det313grrl

Post Number: 502
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I TALKED TO JOHN COLLIER. He's in and will post soon.

Old_guy

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE LOVE YOU DET313GRLL!

Det313grrl

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Candy-man, I posted a couple pics of me in the archives through November 16, 2002. I'm not sure if we were around the Garwood at the same time.

A2_dj, glad you could make. Looks like we're building up steam here.