Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right J - and the computer rooms had to be sealed at kept at the right temperature and humidity! Even the first fax machine I used was HUGE!
Oh crap - Are we "old" if we go down the "remember when" or just "thinking back?"

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was pretty good at drawing snowmen...with the help of a compass. Using white crayon on the white construction paper was a mistake, though. All you could see were the pencil outlines.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trick was getting those wreaths home with most of the glitter still on.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

having something to make you feel old? on the side of my '79 ring from WSU, the seal of the business school includes a rotary typewriter - not an electric!!!!!!!:-(:-(:-):-(

7andkelly

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those computers were no dumb terminals...that's for sure. They were all sitting pretty in their sealed air conditioned rooms, while we were all sweating our @$$es off.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least we still refer to "typing" when we use the keyboard at a computer.
At Regina, if you didn't get into the typing room quick - to grab a "selectric" near the windows, you were stuck with the rotary styles in the middle rows!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky!

Back in my day, we had manual typewriters at NDHS.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did I do to have red boxes show when I typed a response instead of showing the words ---and no, I wasn't swearing, I swear!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5027
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you type the words Detroit and Memories close to each other or Hot and Fudge?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope - It was on my Regina reference post - and I don't know what I typed, but I read, re-read, and re-posted and still got the little red boxes, so I just re did the whole thing.

Jcole

Post Number: 5028
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually it's some site that's banned from here. If you remember what you wrote, email it to me.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I don't remember - but at least if I see the red boxes again, I'll know what I did - Thanks!

Bluesky
Username: Bluesky

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastburn -
Can you email me? I'd like to talk to you.
Thanks...
skyblue726@aol.com

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bluesky,

Done.

Bluesky
Username: Bluesky

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for welcoming me.....you're a warm group..

An I guess BS doesn't sound quite right as my abbreviation, does it?
Can you think of another one?

How about Sky?

Jcole

Post Number: 5038
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going with Blue, but you're right, Sky is better.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sky is nice, but that's just way too much typing. How about just B?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sticking with Sky - of course, all the while humming "Blue Skies, Nothing but Blue Skies - hum de hum hum (Since I don't know the rest of the words.)

Jcole

Post Number: 5039
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'from now on'

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comin' myyy wayyyy!

Hey Sky!

Zitro

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was singing that all day at work yesterday too cfg, and I think you're right, hum de hum hum are the lyrics

Jcole

Post Number: 5040
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of it is 'Blue Skies, smilin' at me, Nothing but Blue Skies do I see'

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL DeLaSalle had the same setup as Regina with the 2 Electric typewriters by the window and all the others the old, blind keyed manual typewriters. The added bonus was that you would watch the planes come and go through the window unless Bro. Bernard caught you 'woolgathering' Then it was BAM! upside the head.

Zitro

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What years did you attend DLS DC?

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of singing, our very own Judelaires will be performing a Christmas Program at St. Joan of Arc Church, December 16 @ 7:00pm.

(as copied from the SJA paper) The Judelaires began singing at St Jude Church many years ago. The group is well known for their enthusiastic style and audience-pleasing performances. Three years ago, they opened for the Rockettes Christmas show at the Fox.
No admission, but a free-will offering is appreciated. For more info, call 586-552-1180

See you there!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too funny, DC.

I wonder how many of the Judelaires are from the original group.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judelaires were at St. Jude this past Sunday - I wished I would have asked how many were originals! They came back last year for the first time - in like forever - and it was very well attended.
and thanks Z - glad we remember the same lyrics - it's a snappy little tune - even with the hum de hum de hums
Thanks, Sky - now you have me obsessed on the song!

Jcole

Post Number: 5047
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the lyrics that we would be most familiar with. Now sing along kids:

Blue skies
Smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies
Do I see

Bluebirds
Singing a song
Nothing but bluebirds
All day long

Never saw the sun shining so bright
Never saw things going so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When youre in love, my how they fly

Blue days
All of them gone
Nothing but blue skies
From now on

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 501
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my fave tune for Blue Sky:

Sun is shinin' in the sky
There ain't a cloud in sight
It's stopped rainin' ev'rybody's in a play
And don't you know
It's a beautiful new day hey,hey

Runnin' down the avenue
See how the sun shines brightly in the city
On the streets where once was pity
Mister blue sky is living here today hey, hey

Mister blue sky please tell us why
You had to hide away for so long
Where did we go wrong?

Hey you with the pretty face
Welcome to the human race
A celebration, mister blue sky's up there waitin'
And today is the day we've waited for

Hey there mister blue
We're so pleased to be with you
Look around see what you do
Ev'rybody smiles at you

Mister blue sky, mister blue sky
Mister blue sky

Mister blue, you did it right
But soon comes mister night creepin' over
Now his hand is on your shoulder
Never mind I'll remember you this
I'll remember you this way

Mister blue sky please tell us why
You had to hide away for so long
Where did we go wrong?

Hey there mister blue
We're so pleased to be with you
Look around see what you do
Ev'rybody smiles at you
Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba
Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba
By: ELO

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAY too many words for me - no wonder I forgot them all- I'm sticking with the hum de hums! :-)