Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane: Was that really ELO or were they lip syncing to a pre-recording?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 580
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't hold a candle to In a godda da vida.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey EB - another song I mumbled along to - but thoroughly enjoyed and turned up high!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D, those are the "Mister Blue Sky" lyrics I remember. I have the album, and I used to play it all the time. Not anymore though. I'm hooked on XM 164 "Old Time" now where they play back all the cool radio programs from the 40s and 50s like Boston Blacky, Jack Benny, Gunsmoke, Jack Webb, Duffy's Tavern, Life of Riley, Fibber Magee and Molly ...

Eastburn

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoy 164, too.

The difference between you & me, 7, is that I actually heard most of those programs live.

We didn't get a TV (7" B&W, used) until I was 7 or so.

Eastburn

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go, CFG:

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, honey,
don't you know that I love you?
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby,
don't you know that I'll always be true?

Oh, won't you come with me
and take my hand?

Oh, won't you come with me
and walk this land?

Please take my hand!

Just so you won't have to mumble along.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Dave V (7Kid) use to crank that Iron Butterfly song (long version) on his living room Hi-Fi stereo with the windows open while we would sit on his porch feet up on the rails and just watch the world go by on Eastwood Ave. ....great memory

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks EB!!!
At least at one point in my life, I won't have to mumble!

Eastburn

Post Number: 583
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God rest him.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We sure to have wonderful vivid memories of our childhood friends and the sights and sounds of growing up. I was just talking to some friends about how we never used the phone to call a friend, you just stood at the side door calling their name in a sing/song - Maryeeee, Margarettttt - and they'd come pounding down the steps and flying out the door.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memory cfg. I remember my friend's dad had one of the loudest whistles I've ever heard to this day, the one you do with your fingers in your mouth (never could perfect that one) Anyway, he had a distinctive cadence to it and you could hear that whistle for blocks and usually it meant it was time for him to come home.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, good one, C.

E, you may have heard those programs, but I did grow up in black and white. I think I was in high school when we finally replaced our old Admiral...with a new Admiral B&W.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

both great memories. living on laing, the street in front of our house went from blacktop to cement with the majority of our friends living on the blacktop side. there were many times we were told to stay on the blacktop side so mom knew where we were.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, most of the moms and dads on our block would just yell their kids names out from blocks away, and they knew you could hear them.

Zitro

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy laing not much room for misinterpretation with the blacktop being a distinct delineator. They pretty much had you nailed on that one.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea boy, as i remember, we didn't try to "cross over" much, never knew when mom was looking out the windows and you had to wait till dad came home. them were definitely the days. funny thing, i had to call st jude church the other day to order a copy of my baptism certificate. has been a long time since i dialed 313-527-...., my home up there started the same way.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine was 313-839 (VEnice)- the "LAkeview" exchange was also in the neighborhood with DRexel being closer to Chalmers.

Zitro

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were one of the few to have 2 lines. My dad had a second job selling drafting supplies and customers would call our house with orders. My mother would be yaking on the phone so much my dad was forced to put in a second line. Both were VEnice numbers. I guess call waiting would have solved that back then.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not if Mom was on an important call - or Dad was in the middle of a big sale.....sometimes not all new features work as effectively as the old school ways.

Zitro

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: Did you guys have the one ring call dad back a the firehouse signal at your house? When my dad was at the firehouse in order to prevent having to use the pay phone he would call the house once and hang up and this was our signal to call him back.

Zitro

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just showed up a mlbtraderumors.com. Oh please let this happen.

According to Gerry Fraley, the Rangers inquired with the Tigers on the availability of Gary Sheffield. The Tigers probably wouldn't mind moving Sheff's $14MM salary for '09.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing on the Channel 7 "Action" News site about any trade rumors

Zitro

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mlbtaderumors.com has up to the minute trade talks, but keep in mind they are rumors.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I used to live on Lansdowne, I attended Saint Jude and Notre Dame. I'm glad to find this thread!

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Iron Butterfly. I used to have the album that had In A Gadda Da Vida on it. I love psychedelic music.

7andkelly---We are so on the wavelength. I love old time radio shows. I've even got a widget for one on my space. I used to listen to Detroit's old time radio(When Radio Was) every weeknight at 11:00-12 midnight. That was the coolest thing. Those became my bedtime stories. I'd get in my pjs, grab my teddy bear and cuddle up with the headphones on and listen to all those shows.

CFG--My middle name is Margaret and it's my mum's first name.

Our phone number was 313-839....
We didn't have it in Detroit but, when mum and I moved to Sterling Heights, if you plugged just the receiver into the wall outlet, you could hear all sorts of simultaneous conversations. I recall there was a number you could dial then hang up and your phone would ring back to you.

I've done my share of mumbling to songs. If I don't know the words, I just use filler till I get to the ones I know.

Kellyroad---That was really ELO. They used special effects for their voices but, it was them.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - You beat me to it, I thought of that about ten seconds before I read it. God forbid if you answered it on the first ring and cost Dad a nickle (or was it a dime?)!!!

Remember the party line? Mom could never get a word in edgewise when the other mother was on. Between the two of them, it was always busy when Dad tried to call from the station. He finally gave in and he paid to have a private line when I was about eight.

Welcome Tsomyak! What years did you attend?

(Message edited by mkap on December 10, 2008)

(Message edited by mkap on December 10, 2008)

Eastburn

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Tsomyak.

When did you attend SJS & ND?

Tsomyak

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated St Judes in 72, ND in 76.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tsomyak - I think you went to school with my brother - Dave. Did you graduate St. Jude in 72?

Tsomyak

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! Is your brothers last initial M?