Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5057
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, where at in Texas?

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austin

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tsomyak: The Swayneys were Frank, Tom and Eleanor

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2526
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: The winner gets to bring up gifts during Midnight Mass

Tsomyak

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was thinking about it earlier. I do know a Scot, but not from the neighborhood. I'm afraid the Lansdowne Swayneys don't ring a bell. My older brothers would probably remember though.

Jcole

Post Number: 5058
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Austin very briefly. It's a great place to be. It's beautiful down there. I love the restaurants and stuff

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: not surprised that you got the Ernie Harwell and the Fantasy Lane question right
Laing got the hardware store questions correct.

only two of the photos have been identified correctly....ernie and the school floor

Tsomyak: good guesses with the schools. I included MacGregor in Detroit

still need the photos Identified.
What was the name of the KofC counsil?
The name of the drug store on 7 and Hayes during the 60-80s still needs to be identified.

more later

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2527
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the bats!

Jcole

Post Number: 5059
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LaSalle Council

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: good guess on the car. between you and JC we'll call it at 59 1/2 until someone can give us a definite id.
need the exact name of the first Chathams

Jcole

Post Number: 5060
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the bats. Best part of Austin, after the Mexican food and the Barbecue

Tsomyak

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone was asking about a history earlier. I found the following on St. Jude's website. Certainly not exhaustive, but I learned a few things...

http://www.stjudedetroit.com/h istory.htm

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: got the Council name. (not De LaSalle)

Jcole

Post Number: 5061
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't Chatham Village Market?

Jcole

Post Number: 5062
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drugstore was a Revco?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsomyak: Not sure if you know but from the above website you posted if you click on home you'll find the fan of St. Jude website. If you're not registered in facebook please do...It's a nice and easy way to upload any pictures or memories that you may have of St. Jude

Tsomyak

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have really enjoyed living here in Austin as well. We've been here since 1980, and don't plan on vacating any time soon. The restaurants are great, although I would just about kill for a decent Greek place. I must say though the never ending summers are getting a bit old...

(Message edited by tsomyak on December 10, 2008)

Tsomyak

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a question about the St Jude facebook page. I became a fan. Is there some secret to being able to comment on the pictures? I don't seem to be able to.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, I see there are two classes of pictures, those from St Jude and those from "fans". I'm guessing I have to be a friend of the fan in order to comment on their pics?

Jcole

Post Number: 5063
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was down there in Winter 2003 Feb-May. That year wasn't a never ending summer. There was an ice storm that brought the whole city to its knees in March, I think. I remember laughing that a storm of that magnitude would have slowed Detroit down for about 5 minutes. There were pickup trucks with guys in the back throwing out shovels full of salt and sand. The Austin salt truck. It was so gorgeous in April and May that I just didn't want to leave. The Blue Bonnets and the Paintbrush, as well as the Indian Blanket are just so perfect. I miss seeing that. I went out and drove the Willow City Loop a couple times that spring, as well as driving down to San Antonio twice, and out to Marble Falls a couple times.
What a spring.

Jcole

Post Number: 5064
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsom, I don't know if you have to friend someone to comment on a pic on the St. Jude site. I'll friend you if you like and then see what happens.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It wasn't Chatham Village Market?

JC: Is that a statement, question, or both?
I'll defer to your expertise in the Chatham area. I thought the original Chatham before it became the super market chain was the Chatham Village Market.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole, it's funny you mentioned the ice, we actually had some ice this morning. The locals are absolutely clueless as how to drive on the stuff. If at all possible I try to stay off the roads, it just gets too crazy out there.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Revco it was. I believe it was a Rexall before Revco during the 50s (but let me get back with a more definitive answer)

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: question 22 is not George's Party Store

Jcole

Post Number: 5065
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I have the location you were looking for on the Chatam: Washtenaw and Kelly?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: no on ques 29
but where was Balkan Bakery? (I really don't know)

Jcole

Post Number: 5066
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember anything on Moross west of Kelly other than duplexes. I do remember someone mentioning The Dutch Shoe Bakery. Is that it?

Jcole

Post Number: 5067
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

23. The bomb shelter/tunnels

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: no on the bomb shelter/tunnels
The duplexes on Moross were east of Kelly