Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through December 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody really bored out there can check out my youtube channel. I have 136 favorites videos, you might find some of them entertaining...

http://www.youtube.com/user/su pergirl3000

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still searching for two ladies who were frequent visitors to the Garwood and were good friends of mine and Margie's. I have a bit more information for any super sleuths out there. Gloria Blondy and Cynthia Oles both graduated from Southfield High School in 1966. I know that Cynthia moved to LA in 1971 (We lived there together along with Larry McCort for a brief period) I lost touch with her in 1974.
She loved Southern CA so she might still be there.
Would love to find them both - and of course I'm still hoping to find Larry McCort.
Any ideas? anyone?

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the cleaning of the garbage shed. Larry and I were talking about it the other day and we were trying to remember where we took it, and in what.

Sthrn_boy
Username: Sthrn_boy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"on the side of a side road...15 foot cliff...on top of a small pile of garbage"???

-Arlo G.

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks det313grrl I'll see if I can remember more that might fit.
Yeh Sug & Old guy you see a picture of me and have memories of cleaning up that garbage. I remember my sister Jean (RIP) and I started helping to pull it out then I decided to crash for a bit. The next thing I remember was hearing the organ blasting in my ear. So I decide to get up and go out for a beer. Meanwhile you people had loaded all that garbage in the candy van. So when I got in and smelled it I had to speed over to "Alices' Restaurant" and dump it all behind her place.I'm still running from Officer Opie:^)

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil, I was just checking out Cripple Creek on the web. Looks like you found a pretty nice little part of America.

Hiwatt
Username: Hiwatt

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gashl1-Thanks for the kind words.Looking foward to see everyone and I hope the band can play some.Stnfrnt-got a 335, Line 6 amp, and I'm trying to remember some of the old songs...the
FOG is lifting slowly...

Hiwatt
Username: Hiwatt

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt- Remember when we liberated wood for P.A.
cabinets from that condemned hospital? Possibly
the creepiest(...fun...)adventure in quite some
time,hurdleing over whinos and junkies.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14859
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya, for those who either don't want to travel WITH their rigs, or want to play on some history...there is a fellow who's purchased the stage setups of some huge shows over the years and rents the stuff out of an obscure warehouse down in Taylor! (he's reasonable, and is a supporter of crazy fellow travelers like ourselves...and a downright great fellow.)

We can get a Hammond B3 or B4 with Leslie...a drum set from a vintage tour...it could be pretty curious!

May be time for the first meeting of the Friday weekend bash to commence...we'll be ready at the BoHouse for sure.

I'm finally dragging myself out of some induced depression fatigue, so I expect to hook up with Det313Grrl soon...Scott from the BoHouse and I finally talked last night for a few hours.

Cheers, all...stay warm. For those of you who don't have to worry about such things, I may be jealous...for those of you serving your time living on warm waters, I most certainly am!

Heard Cripple Creek had a Breakdown a few years back...now THAT tune helped me sell a boatload of hifi back in the eighties.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon.....you talkin' bout Boz Scag's breakdown?
Steve Luthaker on screamin' lead Breakdown?

Gannon

Post Number: 14860
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click on the underlined word, Stnfrnt, and it'll take you where I wanted to lead.

Jazz keyboardist Dave Grusin's song of that name, Cripple Creek Breakdown. Curiously cool and catchy tune...unbelievably great recording quality, on the 'right' sound system you get a personal concert.

Come next year, I may have a reference AV system in the BoHouse's gymnasium room or downstairs in the bar room...likely to be downstairs, though. Should be able to give you a nice sample of how great home entertainment can be!

Movie night extraordinaire.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey gannon welcome back from the crud
your breakdown link does not work

Movie night extraordinaire. sounds good

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Sug, We almost died laughing when we read your thread suggesting that maybe the owner of the house on the site of the old Garwood mansion would let you camp out. This is not to insult you, it really is a cool idea. Here are the facts. The satellite home (which is what it is called in Shorepointe Village) is owned by the developer. He is a serious scum bucket. A perfect example would be, that when the owner of the old Dossin Mansion held a charity party on Halloween some years ago asked permission for guests to park on vacant land, he was refused. Consequently, the charity party guests had to park at a near by school and get chauffered in. That of course was an extra cost and less money to the charity. If you still want to try, I'll be happy to provide you his name and business #. Ps: To get to the south end of the island, you need to pass thru two security gates. In his development plan presented to the city, he requested to build three! Hope that tells you what a "stellar" kind of guy you'll be dealing with.

In regards to Ralph, he died many years ago in Florida. Ruthie, his wife and by all accounts a sweety pie spent many years in a nursing home, a victim of Altzeimer. His son, is a bigger prick than Ralph was. He has however renovated Ralph's home and it is quite fabulous. If, the developer allowed you on the island, which would never happen, Paul, Ralph's son would certainly stop you.

Don't bother the developer who clear cut the Fisher woodlot. He is even creepier than the developer who destroyed most of the last vestiges of the island which was a part of a community called Grayhaven.

If you want to camp on original Grayhaven property, west of the island which the Garwood and island were a part of you may want to contact the state of Michigan, contact would be Bylich. This is the area where that tiny marina existed west of the island. The state and city have fought over that property for years. Last word I had is the state now has it. it is still nature like and the marina though empty is still there, in fact it was dredged just a few years ago prior to closing. If you want that contact, I know who to get it from. Sounds cool if people want to rent boats or camp. Moorage is there and in semi decent shape. Pitched right to the state employee it could maybe happen. If you want to pursue that I may be able to help. The more I think about it, it would be almost perfect. Afraid I know so much, only to get my hopes dashed regarding Grayhaven as a historic district. If the state finally does indeed now own it, the plans are to turn it into a state park. Your get together on Grayhaven West could be a great PR event for the state to announce that this will be a great state riverfront access park. Years ago the plans were to have a boat launch as a part of the park plan.

Grayhaven is mystic and very special to me. I did not share your Garwood days but it is obvious to me that so many of you felt how special this area was.

Ps: The picture you referred to was taken from the Fisher compound. Fruehoff was on the west side off Port Lagoon.

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey sumas
what great info , and some really great ideas, you are so very kind to share.
will write more in the morning

Ruth, thanks for the clarity of secrets, and for that first post,
should we call you
The FirstPoster LOL {{{:-) }}} as I also welcome
The Firstlady,
Hiwatt, Sthrn_boy and Candy_man wow WOW WOW AND more wows what a great bunch of people.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas - I try to sit back and watch the magic unfold here. But what a great idea, for people who want to camp and party, but within blocks of others who want something a little more upscale. All in sight of the old Garwood mansion area. And promote the area to boot. Too bad about the original site, try your best.

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on Old guy. Sometimes I feel like Dylans'"Walking Antique". Are you Superman, on call from your day job?

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocketwhit is the man who started THIS Garwood thread just over a year ago, but there's another one from 2004 started by "VAS".
Garwood Hall of Fame thread

Is VAS posting with a new name these days?
And also, they spoke of "SC", better known as "TC" who partied/crashed at GW and his/her Garwood history site...
TC, are you with the group?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it really matter?

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't harsh my mellow -

The reason I ask is I'd like to see "SC's Garwood History' page if it still exists.

(Message edited by kennyd on December 10, 2008)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SC a/k/a TC, is around here someplace. I'll talk to him and let you know.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 676
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, the Fruehauf Mansion was to the east of both lagoons and the Gar Wood Mansion, down (south - toward the river) Lennox Street from the Lawrence Fisher Mansion, near the gate to the park. The park was the site of the old Maritime Hospital. I'm assuming that's the hospital Hiwatt referred to in his earlier post #4, as the place they 'liberated' (I love that term), the wood for the PA cabinets.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 677
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think SC a/k/a TC, originated the Gar Wood thread even further back than that archive. Then he stopped posting, not to be heard from for a few years. RocketWhit kept it alive and rolling in SC/TC's absence. Thanks Rocket. Only Lowell and the moderators can say for sure - they hold the keys to the archives.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 678
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, regarding post #263, I'm with you on that one. If Breeze doesn't show up in June, I'm not either. He turned me on to the house, I had great times with he and Firstlady, and to me, Breeze is an all time 'character'.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 679
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took pictures of the BoHo, the closed Zeitgeist Gallery and Maheras Playground/Park/Marina (the marina and park across the west lagoon from the former site of the Gar Wood) yesterday, to post here. Unfortunately, my poor, old, digital camera came apart. The telephoto lens popped out and the pictures won't download. I'm going to try to take them again soon with another camera so we'll have some current photos.

Sug
Username: Sug

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Breeze no party.........

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas.....great info. I posted last week asking about a mini-marina located across the channel from the Mansion site on the downriver side. My original thought was to rent a 30'-34' sloop for a couple days and anchor up somewhere on Lake St. Claire. A dinghy ride to that little marina would put me (us) at a central launch point for truckin up to A2 and launching bass boats for some walleye/muskie fishing; plus the Bo House stays right in the mix. I would like to spend two or three days in A2 with our resident historian/tour guide to check it out. Detroit really holds no facination for me. In all the time I lived at Garwood I never went anywhere except to and from the clubs we played or out on the road. I did live in A2 for a spell and got out and about a lot while there. I'm real interested in the boat facilities and moorage angle. Might solve some accomodation hassles. I think 1klsn is running down some infoon that and any input along those lines would be great.

Hey Bushmark......ran across a website (forgot to mark it) that touts that Bed movie as 'one of the really great cult movies' ever made. Go figure.

Graynoodle
Username: Graynoodle

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi everyone. i am in contact with breeze and have let him know whats going on with this.he's a hard person to get a hold of,especially since i'm in s.d. and he's in detroit. if any of you want to give him a message e-mail me at thomaslong@cox.net. i will pass this on to him. i'll be talking to him this weekend.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 415
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielson, I am very sure of my info since I have all the original landdeeds. The whole eastern seaboard was a Fisher family compound. Freuhauf built on Port Lagoon. The Park you refer to is AB Ford Park which was originally part of a military installation. A missle silo is still there on site. The Mariner hospital was located at a different park near Fox Creek. At the time you were at GW, the hospital was used as a Methodone Clinic, the junkies used to hang out at an adjacent park, locals used to call it Needles Park because of all the drug traffic. The hospital is long since gone and is a park now called Mariners. Mariners park was also the location of the old stone windmill owned by Le Duc. Next to Mariners Park is Lakewood East (aka Needles Park, west of that is ABFord Park which was adjacent to Grayhaven. A B Ford Park was Named after a military pilot who went down in WWII. To the west of Grayhaven is Maharis Gentry Park. The Gentry name was added because some years ago the city tried to sell off the park to the developers of Clairpointe Subdivision. A local community organization fought the sale and won in court. It was spearheaded by Gentry, His ashes are now interred there under a pine tree he planted. Maharis Gentry was the first city park to receive a historic designation

The address you take your screen name from is wrong too. The address was 400 Keelson.

There has been a tremendous amount of misinformation on this site about the area history. My favorite is someone saying that Fisher and Garwood got together to build Starboard Lagoon. Way wrong. I usually don't bother to correct anyone because like you I get challenged on my info. I have a room full of documents to back me up.

Stnfrnt...The guy's name is Jordan Bylich. I stopped communicating with him when the city declared a victory and they owned the land. There was an RFP put out and they had a buyer. Now I am told by the Creekside Community developement President that the state has it. I have Jordan's number and email somewhere but it is easier to check with the Pres. When he gets back to me I will share that info. By the way, the city can't get anything right the sign on the marina says Greyhaven (sp).

You have another option. The developer has a public marina at the north end of the island. The northend is rental property and there is a management company that runs it. I am quite sure you could rent a temporary slip since that Marina was mostly empty this year. The rental office # for Grayhaven Estates is 313 331-2040. I have the gate code for the south end of the island so you would be able to view what little is left of the Garwood site. If construction hasn't started on Port lagoon you could easily camp there in the wooded part. Stay in the woods however because Ralph's son would report you in a heartbeat. Good luck

Ps I also have the gate code for the construction site next the Fisher mansion but the construction fence is easy to breech

Gannon

Post Number: 14862
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,

If you HAVE the documents, when you choose NOT to correct the public e-record...you are a huge part of the ignorance problem!

THANK YOU for the corrections you have put forth, man! You share your passion and research in a positive direction.

Do we know if that old boat junkyard is still just west or downriver of that nearly abandoned 'Greyhaven' Marina? I haven't been back there in a year.

That's where the group of older hippies that I'm vaguely familiar with keep their fleet of 22-28 foot sailboats...and I'm sure we can get Ryan to take a few expeditions on his 28-footer, but it might not be big enough for what 1KielsonDrive is thinking about!

Cheers

Gannon

Post Number: 14863
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,

If you HAVE the documents, when you choose NOT to correct the public e-record...you are a huge part of the ignorance problem!

THANK YOU for the corrections you have put forth, man! You share your passion and research in a positive direction.

Do we know if that old boat junkyard is still just west or downriver of that nearly abandoned 'Greyhaven' Marina? I haven't been back there in a year.

That's where the group of older hippies that I'm vaguely familiar with keep their fleet of 22-28 foot sailboats...and I'm sure we can get Ryan to take a few expeditions on his 28-footer, but it might not be big enough for what 1KielsonDrive is thinking about!

Cheers