Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5045
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the Chatham Inn in 1951

Jcole

Post Number: 5046
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, those church papers have a wealth of knowlege in them. I really missed out, never having been to 'Pappy's Merry-go-round Lounge' on Greater Mack.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2476
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I believe it was The Paper Station first then Jay's name was added later. The investigation begins.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 578
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lendzion's Handy Spot.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't recall Lendzions EB but it may have been. As of 1967 it was called Handy Spot Party Center.

One more, there was a Standard Station for years right next to the Chatham's on Kelly Road. What was the name of it?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chatham Inn was another name.
There was another name besides Jay's Paper station or the Paper Station.

JC: No on the baptismal room door

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Standard Station's name was Amoco. ha
The picture of the window is on the bell tower under the bells.
st jude church older

Eastburn

Post Number: 579
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, Earl Lendzion owned the Handy Spot.

A story -

When I was about 8 we had one of our famous 12+" Detroit snowfalls. Things ground to a halt in "the ruts".

My Dad was out of beer, booze and smokes. Things were getting deparate.

He called his buddy, Earl, & put in his order.

Sent the kid, pulling his Flexable Flyer, through the snow for the pick up.

I think I got a candy bar for my efforts.

Thought notheing of it. Just part of being a kid in the 50s.

12468_laing

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and that story was repeated throughout the neighborhood. brings back good memories. i remember one time that we had a bad ice storm with thick ice over everything. had to get to the store for the folks, so i tied on my ice skates and skated to the tick tock on morang. like ya say, just part of being a kid.

Eastburn

Post Number: 580
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't imagine my grandkids being sent on errands like those.

Look at playgrounds today.

How many times did a kid take a tumble off the monkey bars onto the blacktop at St. Jude & break his/her collar, or some other, bone?

Sue the school? Sure.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: Correct on the bell tower window...with a picture to prove it.

One more picture to ID

EB: The playground's today are designed with recycled rubber like material spread underneath the state-of-the-art playscapes. The irony, at least in my casual observation, is that not that many kids are using the playground equipment like before, especially unsupervised. And yes the days of kids running errands to pick up booze and smokes (even with a permission slip) were gone long, long, ago.

BTW: Did the blacktop have monkey bars at one time? I recall that St. Jude Playfield along Brock (behind the only house on the block) had at one time a slide (not quite as big as Heilmann) and a chin up bar. Were there monkey bars too?

12468_laing

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't remember any monkey bars anywhere around the school, just the bike racks behind the school. there were some i think on the play field. that last picture has to be a business on kelly north of moross. sweetheart bakery?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: Got it! Sweet Heart Bakery. Their cheese cakes are tops.

Eastburn

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before the portables went in on the blacktop there was a slide, monkeybars & some other playground equipment. All the younger kids were there after lunch.

Don't recall when we started going accross the street to the parking lot. 4th grade, maybe.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: That explains it. When I started school in 59 the portables were there. I wonder if the equipment used behind the school was transferred over to the St. Jude Playfield..??

Bluesky
Username: Bluesky

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't visit very often...

Someone was trying to think of the name of the hamburger shop on Kelly. Was it Fred's Fine Foods?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sky: Where on Kelly?

Bluesky

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred's Fine Foods was on Kelly...near Houston - Whittier...
sorry I don't know if it was north, east, west or south of Kelly.
Fred's had great burgers.

Bluesky

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, someone was trying to think of the party store on Morang, near the Wooden Shoe Bakery.
It was called Party Den. I think it later became Mr C's.
The owners of Party Den were the Ervinks.

Bluesky

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 & Kelly--
A while ago you inquired if someone knew the Gleasons and Vreelands..
I knew families by those names.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Barb and Val.

Bluesky

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Barb and Val also...
Hey, do we know each other?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure B. Don't you recognize me? It's me, 7. I will email you.

Bluesky

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know your true identity 7/Kelly.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes two of us. Half of the time I don't even know who the #3|| I am.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7: Weren't you the guy with the cape running around the blacktop?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. You must be thinking of the Boy Wonder.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aha, so that was you

Jcole

Post Number: 5049
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Out of all the contestants 22 is you"
Thank you, KR. You made my night

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: You're Welcome. Of course you do understand that it's because Sweet Heart was nearby in your old hood, right? right? No inferences with bakeries and you JC. You do understand, right?