Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through December 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Neil.....in that photo of you and Gus at the beach is that Bushmark in the middle?

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice picture Stonefront.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt, I see you've got the magic of the resizing! Cool.

I got a good quote today in my mail...

"Happiness is good health and a bad memory"-Ingrid Bergman

Luckily, I have been blessed with both.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 690
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, my new appliances were delivered on wednesday. You now have a home for your entire stay in Michigan for the reunion.

Old_guy

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Life is always full of great surprises. Things are really coming together.

Old_guy

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching." Jack Handy

Old_guy

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

circa 75

bk.gif

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 691
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG, but you'll have to supply your own sleeping bag. I can arrange the boxes under any deck or dock in my complex. There's also a freeway underpass nearby, if that'd make you feel more at home.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Swiss saying: If you shut one eye, you can't hear anything.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 692
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I nominate Det313grrl to be the official photographer and histerian, oops, I mean historian, of Chapter #1, of the International, Universal, Fraternal and Mystical Order of Aetherial GarWoodyians. Do I have a second?

Old_guy

Post Number: 272
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, now it starts to get complicated.

Man 1KD, you're on a real thread roll tonight. Some good thoughts there. Some manner of medication may be in order though.
Hope those boxes are wax coated. I'm kind of picky.

Old_guy

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, so now it's C1IUFMOAG. That's going to be hard to sell on a coffee mug.

Old_guy

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just have to throw this in here. After I looked at that photo I posted, I noticed the rectangular outline in my left pocket. It was worn in from my wallet, which was a Sucrets can. In it, I had valid library cards from the Detroit Public Library, Ann Arbor, Chicago, Rockford, Madison, Minneapolis, Denver, Boulder, Phoenix, Tucson and Bay area libraries.
I didn't own a vehicle. I'd be hitch hiking in someplace like the Sierra Nevada's and the cops would ask to see some ID. I'd just hand them the Sucrets can and they'd thumb through it. They'd look at me and ask me if I was just passing through. I'd say yes, and they'd say, "Have a nice day," and drive off. Life was so much easier back then.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dgrl...echo OG's words on the bridge photo...outstanding!!

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love short term memory,
it reminds me to smile,
be kind, nod my head,
act like I know what your talking about
and laugh my ass off.
Because if you believe that then, Oh shoot,
wait what was it I was trying to say??? {{{{{{:-), :-) ' :-) ))))))

POETRY by HOLMES 1913
MANSIONS of the SOUL

Build thee more
stately mansions
O my soul
As the swift
seasons roll!
Leave thy low vaulted past!
Let each new temple,
nobler than the last
Shut thee from
heaven with a dome
more vast
Till thou at length
art free
Leaving thine outgrown
shell by life's unresting
Sea

Dec 13th was on a Saturday in 1913
Dec 13th is on a Saturday in 2008

I just happened to be packing some things from the past and found a 1913
"Calender of Golden Thoughts" copyright 1910 by Barse & Hopkins NY. NY

When I opened it up this was the first poem I found, among a famous poem for every week.

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SEX DRUGS & ROCK &ROLL wow how we have change LOL

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 422
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jarvo... sorry, I didn't notice your request to see my thumbnail short history of Grayhaven which was printed in Pipeline. I do have a much more detailed history synopsis but I have to save those details for my book. I am more than a little lazy, but for you I got off my but. To explain...much of what I wrote about Grayhaven is on our other computer. I had to Email this info from that computer to this one. In addition, my husband used to insist I save nothing on hard drive. He stopped insisting after our son's dog(which we were dog sitting) chewed a ton of my discs one day. Fortunately, much of what was lost/chewed had been transfered to paper and filed. So all is not lost. I hope you enjoy this.

Grayhaven The Venice of the Midwest

Grayhaven, a unique private marine/housing community on Detroit’s eastside, bounded by Dickerson Lennox on the east and Maharis Gentry on the west was conceived and developed by Edward Gray in the early part of the last century.

Initially, Gray, a dedicated yachtsman and chief engineer for the fledging Ford Motor Company, was looking for property to house what he called his orphan yacht. Marinas and dockage were at a premium in 1913. Gray identified an underwater farm owned by D.J. Campau Jr. and offered to buy a portion of the property. D.J. Campau Jr. was not interested in selling a portion but would consider selling all of his acreage. They came to terms and, at the cost of $100,000 dollars, Gray bought all 60 acres.

Over the next nine years Gray created an infill island and two lagoons called Starboard Lagoon on the East and Port lagoon on the west. In Gray’s own words he made $600,00 barging dirt from high rise excavations in Detroit, using this dirt to create the landfill that became Grayhaven. This took place between 1913 and 1922 when he platted his creation, which called for 175 homes (lots). Grayhaven was a gated community with private roads called Keelson and Port Drive. It had strict building and deed restrictions. All homes were to have basement level interior garages with year round boat wells also interior to the homes. As conceived, but never built, Grayhaven residents would draw their power from a private central power plant which would provide heat and electricity with conduits under the developments sidewalks.

Initially, Gray’s plans were for affordable “country” waterfront homes. His first big sale however was to Lawrence P. Fisher. Fisher bought the entire eastern “landside” seaboard of Starboard Lagoon and created a lavish Fisher family enclave. From that point on, Gray advertised his holdings as a who’s who development.

Many notables bought property from Gray including Gar Wood, an entrepreneur best known for hydroplane racing, Walter J. Dossin, also a wealthy industrialist with a passion for hydro plane i.e. Miss Pepsi, and William G. Koerber, a well-known local brewer.

Only 13 homes were ever built. At the height of the depression, Gray, dogged by controversy and lawsuits with City of Detroit officials and the looming Depression, went bankrupt. Gar Wood bought the remaining unsold island lots in 1935 and Gray’s widow allowed the remaining lots to revert for unpaid taxes after Gray died in 1939.

Today only four of the original homes remain. The most notable is the Fisher mansion, currently owned by the Bhaktivedanta Cultural Center. The other three include the Thomas Currie estate, the Dossin mansion and the E.F. Walker estate. It is of some interest that three of the four remaining homes are steel reinforced concrete homes, a method popularized by Albert Kahn with a stucco veneer. These types of homes were part of the eclectic revival movement or restated period homes popularized by the California Pacific Exposition of 1915 celebrating the opening of the Panama Canal. This exposition spurred an interest with architects regarding the provincial Spanish Colonial tradition. The Fisher Mansion is Italian Eclectic, the Dossin Mansion is Mission Eclectic and the Currie estate is Spanish Eclectic

PS Dear Mary, this is an extremely abbreviated history of Grayhaven. The superstitious part of me believes that the original Grayhaven and all of its reincarnations from the 1960s with Manny Harris through to today are doomed to fail. All current (within the past 50 years) developers insist on snobby gated and exclusive developments. This is something I firmly detest. As a historian, the only amusement I gain from my continuing saga of the story of Grayhaven, is that people are, have or will be purchasing homes on effectively what is a turn of the century City of Detroit Dump Yard.

PSS: The original land deeds also excluded any persons of color and Jews.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 423
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PSS: Jarvo, forgot to mention I intentionally included my notes to the editor of Pipeline. I really do detest gated community. I put it out on a thread a long time ago and got hammered by many forumers. My skin is a little thicker now than then.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original land deeds also excluded any persons of color and jews they didn't say anything about HIPPIES

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old_guy - don't get me started on Jack Handy quotes :-)

"It's true that every time you hear a bell, an angel gets its wings. But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap snap, an angel gets set on fire."

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them."

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/j ack_handy/3.html

Sug
Username: Sug

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO, I opted for the wet bar instead...

Stillrockin

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have one on me Gus

Jarvo
Username: Jarvo

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine work, Sumas!... you outta be a writer. HOHOHO ...seasons greeting to all
...another great thing about this thread is how the sense of humor of the various contributors continues to shine through and enlighten all...the assortment of photos and thought provoking quotes keep me coming back for more time after time...simply wonderful...its all here...poetry included...History, fine culture,nostalgic memories of a simpler era/time in our lives...what more could one hope for??

Here is a quote of the day...mostly for all the dudes here. It came in my email today.

Quote of the day:

"Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater.

If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby.

If you give her a house, she'll give you a home.

If you give her groceries, she'll give you a
meal.

If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart.

She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her.

So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of
shit.

Amen.

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HALLELUJAH Jarvo

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 694
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm waiting for thorazines and tuinals. Actually, I'll settle for anything at this point - ludes, darvons, carbitols....... whatevah.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2803
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do have that PDR handy, right ?

Jarvo

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Sumas, what is the big problem/objection with a "gated community"...unless you dont live inside it?

Jarvo

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1KD, run on down to the liquor store(like the old days back on Jefferson) and gitt yoo a big bottle of Xmas Cheer to tide you over until The Man can come through and deliver.

I'm waitin' on the man
Waitin' all I can

...hey 1KD, could rule#1 apply here??
Did'nt Lou Reed/Velvet Underground do that number in the Garwood Ballroom??

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning Ya'll,Stnfrnt I think that "Rock" between Sug & I looks like you. Old guy, I remember five of us in the candy van to Bolinas. (Looking forward to your story of a few years later.)Yes,then, Penny and I drove the candy van back to Michigan from Alameda She couldn't drive a stick so I had to shift for her.Our original intention was to hook up with a couple from Ann Arbor that I had met in L.A.to start a commune in Canada. They never made it after going to Woodstock.I'm glad fate brought us back together!
Quote of the day for Stillrockin:
Rock & Roll Brothers & Sisters! John Sinclair aka MC5

Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey jarvo,
Remember what Mr. Mazur in Finney High School (circa 1960's/70's)
history class always said:
" If you don't know the "Worlds History" you do not know anything at all" then he would say now LISTEN and you listened. The rest of the story I will save for the gates thread.

Just for fun---please can you start a new thread regarding the gates,
so we can fulfill your need for:
as you Jarvo, stated:
"another great thing about this thread is how
the sense of humor of
the various contributors continues to shine
through and enlighten all...
the assortment of photos and
thought provoking quotes keep me
coming back for more time after time...simply wonderful...
its all here...poetry included...History, fine culture,
nostalgic memories of a simpler era/time in our lives...
what more could one hope for??

And for those kind words I thank you.