Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St Marys of Redford Parish/School/neighborhood Nostalgia » Archive through October 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After seeing the St.Judes thread get so much activity, thought I'd put this out there for us old (and current) NW-siders. I grew up on Prevost, three houses off of Eaton, two short blocks from SMR. We could see the bell tower from our house (which is, sadly, boarded up these days). This was one of the biggest parishes around in its heyday, back when I was a kid. The church would fill to capacity for every mass on Sunday. There was a waiting list to get into the school. I went there for all twelve years (Edison for kindergarten). Parents were very active in parish-related activities. Some of my memories:

The Fall Festival. They used to have a scaled down festival in the grade school gym (the old gym), just games, no rides. Then in the late 60s they expanded it to a full scale festival. Rides (at different times the double ferris wheel, zipper, scrambler, round-up, tilt-a-whirl, kiddie rides, sky diver), cake-walk (I remember my sister winning an album by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs), dunk tank, large game tent, etc. In 70 or 71 the grand prizes in the raffle were three cars (OK, so they were a Pinto, Vega and Gremlin). They had the cars parked in front of the church along Grand River with a big sign advertising the Festival. This was a huge money-raiser for the parish, though it didn't thrive for very long once the white flight epidemic hit the neighborhood in 73. If I remember right it was held on the first weekend in October or thereabouts. Busloads of kids from SMR high school would go out to the malls to sell tickets for the raffle.

Dads Club Shows. These were a big deal back in the day. They had a heck of a good band that played the music - for some reason I remember Burt Kuhlman being in the band, I think he may have played trombone? My dad acted in a few, my mom sang with the Belles of St Marys in a few. Al Fucinari was usually in the plays. I still have some of the programs from the shows in the 60s and 70s.

HS Footabll, Basketball games. My dad used to take me to football and basketball games as a kid. We never had our own football field, I know we played at Mackenzie's Hammersburg field some and possibly Benedictine as well. I remember seeing games against St.Ambrose, Servite, Bishop Gallagher, Holy Redeemer, etc. I remember Jim Walters being the big star in the late 60s, either QB or RB. But the basketball games were what I really loved. After they opoened the 'new gym' in the high school, they would pack the house for every game. I was a basketball nut, so for me it was every bit as good as a Pistons game. I still remember one of the big cheers, when they were trying to come back, was 'Hey, we believe', all the SMR fans yelling it out. A highlight for me was going to the concesison stand at halftime, of course. They hosted the playoff districts some years, and I'll never forget Lutheran West playing there in the districts when Dave Baxter was their big star. He went on to play at Michigan. And of course SMR won the class C championship in 77, same year that Magic's Everett team won in class A. We had Steve Smith, John Sabourin, Tony Taylor, all-stater Joe Stafford...

Basketball fundraiser games. These were usually a team made up of faculty, alumni and priests, playing against various teams. They played a team made of of Detroit Lions in the early 70s. After the game the Lions went into the commons room, talked to people, signed autographs. I had a piece of paper filled with autographs - sadly lost it somewhere along the line. There was also at least one game against a local version of the Globetrotters, I think they called themselves the Harlem Ragdolls. And if I remember right, they held at least one donkey basketball game there!

The new gym. We were probably one of the few schools around who had two gyms. The old gym (i.e. the grade school gym) was the old-fashioned type, with very little room at then ends of the basketball court. Til the new gym was built (opened in 68 I think) this was where all games were held. Not much bleacher room, and watch out if you were running full speed down court in either direction! Dads club shows were also held here. After the new gym opened, the high chsool b-ball games were held there along with other activities (halloween candy sale is one I remember). As a kid, I thought the new gym was amazing - so huge, so much seating, and those plexiglass backboards were awesome. I played intramural basketball in 5th and 6th grade (Saturday mornings in the old gym) and made the all-star team in 6th grade. The game was played in the new gym, and I may as well have been playing at Cobo Hall! I remember thinking how cool it was to use the same locker room and court that the high school players used. Played against Tim Andree that year - he played for Brother Rice in high school (was on the team taht beat us in the HS Catholic League playoff semis in 77), made all state, went on to play center at Notre Dame.

After the grade school announced it's closing, they had a mass to celebrate the memory of the school. The church was filled to capacity, just like it always used to be way back when. Boy did the memories come flooding back, sitting in there with those hundreds of people, in one of the many obstructed view areas behind one of those huge pillars. It was SRO that day. Sr. Loretta gave a great speech after the mass, and there was a luncheon in the old gym, tours of the grade school.

I know there's some old SMR folks out there, let's hear from you. I'm only scraping the surface of my memories.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 284
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fall festivals were really the greatest. I remember seeing Jesus Christ Superstar there iirc in the big gym.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Jim Walters 1969 class. We also had a good basketball team nicknamed the "Cardiac Five" because of the close games they had.
I was co-editor of the yearbook.
One thing you got there was discipline. I hated the hair and dress code.
Always enjoyed the sock hops at the old gym. The Bouys often played there.
Monsignor Hickey was the man there for years and years. He had quite a history and his family was well known in Detroit.

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was saddened to hear about the school closing, I attended SMR back in the mid 70's to early 80's from k-8. I fondly remember the fall carnival and the talent shows, the christmas choir where we sang the "Bells of St.Marys" we had practiced it in secret so we could surprise Sr. Loretta, and it did. Loved our 8th grade science class all the chemicals to mix.
And I have to agree with Daddeeo, I got discipline, I was smacked with a ruler in 2nd grade by Sr. Rose for misbehaving, when I got home and told me mom about it, she laughed at me and told me that it served me right and that next time I will behave. She was right.
OMG in the Sr. Loretta office there was this HUGE paddle with holes in it, thank GOD I never was on the bad end of that one =)

Jimb

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddeo, my brother Kevin Burke was in the class of 68. I think his band may have played at some of the sock-hops. John Carney and Jim Mallon were also in the band, along with various other guys. I remember my brother talking about the Bouys back then. I remember Msgr Hickey well. Sherzer took his place in the early 70s I think. Used to see Hickey walking up and down Grand River all the time. He definitely had a presence about him. One of the things I remember about the football games back then (I was 8 or 9) was hearing Walters' name over and over on the PA system.

Wykkidx, I also had Sr. Rose in the 2nd grade, a few years before you (67-68). I had no idea she stayed around that long. Yeah, you didn't want to get in trouble in her class. I remember her grabbing kids by the ear and tugging hard. There weren't really very many strict teachers around in my years, she was really more of the exception. Sr. Loretta was always going around to the classrooms finding the kids whose hair was too long and giving them so many days to get it cut. I was always one of them. Even when I see her nowadays, she tells me I need a haircut!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimb: Good Luck with this thread. Many of us on the north east side (St. Jude) considered St. Marys of Redford our counter part on the west side with a hugh parish and school steeped in tradition. I believe St. Jude and St. Marys were the largest parochial schools in the Arch Diocese of Detroit during the later part of the 50s and 60s. St. Jude never did have a high school instead it became one of the main feeder schools to Harper Woods Notre Dame and Regina. Like you, our family's home was just two blocks south of our church and the bell tower of St. Jude could be viewed from our driveway. Those memories just don't fade do they? Hopefully, you will continue to get meaningful dialogue in this thread.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That paddle (with the holes in it) was famous in the Athletic Dept. Coach Baz used it on more than a few who got out of hand.
Lawsuits would fly these days if that was used now.
The new gym was built when I was there. It was state of the art and hosted many tournaments in the late 60's.
I worked with a Carney at Wrigley supermarket in 1965.

Jimb

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddeeo - Yeah, I think the new gym was dedicated in 68. Before it was built there was a big field there. We used to play baseball there sometimes. I vaguely remember watching high school basketball games in the old gym before that. Walt Baszlievicz (sp?)- he was a big name in high school sports. I think I remember him being the football coach at SMR back then, went on to be director of the Catholic League or something along those lines.

KellyRoad - Thanks. Noticed that your St.Judes thread has been out there for many months, with thousands of posts. As a kid I wasn't even aware of St. Judes, since they didn't have a high school. I knew of all the high schools that had teams in the Catholic League back then. I wasn't really even aware of the east side in those days! Didn't really know much about it til I went to work for GM out in Sterling Heights in 83, then at the Tech Center for a while. Living as close as I did to St Marys, it was a huge part of my life. Went to school there for grades 1-12, went to church there, played sports there, parents were very involved with the school and the church, plus I hung out around there a lot as a kid, playing strikeout in the parking lot/playground, getting into the gym whenever I could, etc. Those memories will always be there.

Rustic68
Username: Rustic68

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended St. Mary of Redford for 12 years. We received a great education along with having great core values that have lasted a lifetime. Most families were large averaging 5 children up to 8-9, which weren't all that uncommon. Families stuck together and for many still have contacts with one another. Talk about security!!
Because the nuns were at times a little difficult we seemed to learn to have a weird sense of humor, maybe you could call it "coping skills"....but we sure did laugh a lot and still do!
Lots of fantastic memories!!!

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Mary's also had two "spin-off" chapels, also with schools. They are both now closed. Can't remember their names. There was almost a third parish, but Cardinal Deardon said "no." This was just before the riots, so it's just as well, I guess.

Jimb

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiburn, you're thinking of Mother of Our Savior, near Schoolcaft and Greenfield, and Queen of Hope, which was Southeast of Schoolcraft and Southfield. Both had grade schools and churches. There was a big influx of those students at St. Marys in junior high school. My dad was on the tri-parish schoolboard for a while in the early 70s. I think MOS closed some time in the 70s, pretty sure that Queen of Hope lasted a bit longer than MOS did.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to MOS (1958-65) before St. Mary of Redford. We won the inter grade school Dad's Club softball league two years in a row and then they kicked us out.
Those were the days when we had 50 kids per class room. Must have learned something because I got through college ok.
Blending the Queen of Hope and MOS kids with St. Mary kids joining together in the JR. High was tricky. The cliques were tough to overcome.
A lot of kids didn't make it through the four years there.

Jimb

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daddeeo, my dad used to coach in that league. He would have a party for the kids at our house at the end of the season, pop, chips and hot dogs. I got to join in on the party. It was in the mid to late 60s, not sure exactly when he did that. He always had those scorebooks where they had the grid where you wrote each players name along the side, the innings went across the top, and he always filled it in as the game went along. You know, K, BB, 5-4-3, HR, 1B,..., you drew a line around the 'diamond' to show how far they made it when they were on base. He used to do that when he watched games on TV at home.

I remember playing on a Cook Park parks and rec softball team one summer, I must have been 8 or 9, it was before I could start playing at O'Shea (parents didn't let me play O'Shea til I was 10). I remember playing games at Cook, Burns Elementary and Dossin (both of those had gravel infields if I remember right), possibly one or two other places. Edison maybe? Then I moved on to the 'bigs' over at O'Shea after that.

Jimb

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a picture of St. Marys church. My brother took this last summer.

St Marys of Redford church 2008

Jimb

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a fuzzy pic of the Detroit Public Library, Cheney Branch, right across the street from the church.

Library Cheney Branch

Anyone remember Milky's Market? At the NE corner of Mansfield and GR. Closed in the early 70s, reopened later as Larry's Party Store. I still remember their old-fashioned hand-cranked cash register. And right down the street was Bud's Party Store (became 7 Star around 75 or so), where I got all my pop, chips and candy as a kid. My dad had them deliver his cases of Black Label beer to our house, which he kept in our 'cold room' at the foot of the basement stairs. And of course good old Bashurs Drugs. Got my baseball cards there, as well as comic books. I can remember walking to Bashurs on Saturday mornings in the summer as a kid, with a dime in my pocket, standing outside the store waiting for them to open so I could buy a pack of baseball cards. As I walked home I'd pop that hard piece of gum in my mouth and see what players I got.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sometimes still dream about riding my bike to the Bashurs on Schoolcraft.
Those were the corner stones of the neighborhood. Good old Chaney Library. I loaned out many books from there. Glad to see they are still there after all these years. Remember the Robert Halls across the street from them?
How about the Rice Bowl?

Jimb

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot all about the other Bashurs. Seems like there were a lot of drugstores in that little area on SchoolcraftI - Ashton Drugs, Ringler Drugs, Bashurs. I remember buying clothes at Robert Halls. Bought the only pair of white jeans I ever owned there when I was in 5th or 6th grade. In high school days, we'd drink in the alley behind where Robert Halls had been. Two of my sisters worked as waitresses at the Rice Bowl, my older sister around 75-76, my younger sister around 79-80 (she didn't last long, hated the owner). My parents loved that place, starting eating there a lot after my older sister started working there. How about the Alter Ego headshop? Right near SW corner of St Marys and GR, I think. Then there was the old St Marys bakery, right next to Bashurs on GR (maybe two doors down). When I was in kindergarten at Edison, me and my buddy Matt walked there together every day (yeah, in those days 5 year olds walked a mile to school by themselves!), and I remember walking by the bakery all the time, dying to go in and get a LunchStick.

Expat
Username: Expat

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you know that St. Mary's of Redford was designed by the famous Boston architect Ralph Adams Cram?

It was built in 1924 (the same year, Crams also designed St. Florian's). Cram biographer Douglas Shand-Tucci describes it as "a magnificent French Romanesque basilica." But it also has Spanish touches (Cram had visited Spain in 1920)--for example, the wrought iron pulpit is of Spanish inspiration. Finally, according to Shand-Tucci, Cram’s youngest daughter Elizabeth, “a beautiful young woman," was reputedly the inspiration, at age sixteen, for the Madonna commissioned from Sterling Calder for the high altar.

Jimb

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to a site that shows the history of the parish and the school - it leaves off right before the 'new' church was built.

http://www.smralumni.org/histi ntro.htm

Rustic_in_md
Username: Rustic_in_md

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jimb and other former or current NWsiders:
A new poster here, having read many of the threads on this forum on numerous topics on the current events in the city. Like many here I occasionally wax nostalgic on the good old 50s to early 70s of my childhood and early adult life in northwest Detroit. The neighborhoods surrounding St Mary of Redford were a prime example of the urban American dream. Most of our parents were employed continuously or were professionals and were well paid. The city’s tax base was solid. There even were jobs for any teenager willing to show up on time and follow orders. City streets were maintained, freeways were planned and built and the bus system was on time and cheap. Our parents had the choice of sending us to good public, better parochial, and even better private schools. The city was relatively safe for children. Not only could first graders safely walk over to St Marys bakery as Jimb notes, but 12 year olds could ride the bus round trip, shop at Hudson’s downtown, and lunch at an Awrey’s counter with no problems. Granted someone could be the target of a bully or get muscled for the nickel or dime milk money, but even as older kids there were never lethal weapons involved. The tragedies I recall in our neighborhood were related to automobile, other motorized vehicle accidents, or behavior involving alcohol. Some of the posts already made indicate another major reason why St Mary of Redford neighborhoods were top. The institutions, mostly religious and civic but also educational and recreational supported the public and their families and the public supported them and actively participated. As others have noted, we also spent much of our money locally in independent small businesses that wanted business and did for their customers what no corporation has ever matched with their so-called business models.
The 50s and 60s will never return to Grand River and St Marys, but hopefully some strong and unselfish leadership can establish a new paradigm for safe, productive and fulfilling interaction of citizens and their institutions. So, if you lived in the general area, greetings from a former home towner. BTW, I remember some short touch football games in the median of what was then Southfield Hwy in front of the Massey Ferguson Plant, obviously, before the freeway was built, and yes, a nun told us it was too dangerous and to continue our game on the field behind the school (QOH).

Jimb

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, Rustic_in_md. Thanks for the thoughts and memories. It's a shame what happened to that neighborhood and the city in general. Hopefully some day it can get back somewhere close to what it used to be. I'm guessing you graduated in the mid 60s or thereabouts. I had brothers/sisters in classes of 65, 68, 71, 76 and 80 (I was 78). The two oldest went to U of D ('62 and '64). One of those then-average sized families of 8 in the neighborhood.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Mary's was featured in an AIA publication "American Churches of today", circa 1926. the pictures of the building are excellent, and there are almost no houses in sight of the church in the photos.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I you went to Queen of Hope you might have known Dan Miller.

Expat
Username: Expat

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another QOH alumnus here, class of '68. Didn't go to St. Mary's for high school though (U. of D. instead).

Some more history: QOH was a rather non-descript (especially compared to St. Mary's) cinder-block church. But it did have some pretty amazing religious art on the walls which we always assumed was from Monsignor Hickey's collection. Hickey was a graduate of Harvard Business School and basically responsible for saving the Archdiocese's finances during the Great Depression (like a lot of businesses, the Archdiocese had overexpanded during the booming 1920s).

QOH got its "independence" from St. Mary's in 1966 (though we kept the art). Our first priest as a genuine parish was a certain Fr. MacKinnon (sp.?). He was an extremely charismatic and popular guy, but he was destined for greater things. We lost him after a couple of years to a more prestigious post. (I won't mention his replacement who was a complete disaster).

Jimb

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a few friends who are old QOH-ers. I know that some of them were altar boys at the church, early-to-mid 70s, have heard a few stories about some of their not-so-proud escapades. They all ended up at SMR after their time at QOH was finished. I seem to remember QOH going through the 7th grade, or was it 6th? I could swear that we got that big group of new students in 8th grade, but could be a year off.

Beachboy
Username: Beachboy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Rustic_in_md, for your post on SMR. It brought tears to my eyes, esp. when you said "The neighborhoods surrounding St Mary of Redford were a prime example of the urban American dream".

I played an early organ recital at SMR when JFK was Prez - parish was booming, my Dad's former babysitter had taught there (as an IHM) years before ... Met the organist (cousin of the famous Flor Peeters)... was introduced to Msgr. Hickey - impressive man ... are the paintings he collected still in the church?

Loverly place, beautiful memories. Thank you all for this thread :-)

Rustic68
Username: Rustic68

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey there...It's great to see this healthy conversation continuing. Everyone contributing has brought back many memories....St. Mary's Bakery....yum....lunch sticks, brownies and cherry pies....Bashur Drugs....Cheney Library, where we used it tell our parents we were going to "study"...Robert Hall to maybe be lucky enough to buy something....what about Grand River and Greenfield shopping area??? What fun.....cruising Big Boy's.....going to Sander's across the street for a Sundae.....Does anyone remember Friday night skating in the winter at "Winter Wonderland" located on Schoolcraft????
Getting back to SMR...how about being in "Pigs Alley" in St. Catigan (sp) class???? Wow, how did we survive??
What about float building time before Homecoming? How much fun was that?
Hey, remember Perks Party Store where just about anyone could purchase beer there. We would buy beer and cruise around and drink all night. No worries.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Mary of Redford was a childhood experience of mine six, sometimes seven days a week. M-F in the grade, Jr. High and High Schools, Sundays attending one of the early Masses (SMR had 6, 7, 8, 9, 10:30 am, and noon Masses-most all packed) and sometimes I’d be up there on Saturdays to go to confession.

The grade school had limited park space so we’d burn off the last 15 minutes of our lunch by playing in St. Mary Street, which would be blocked off just north of Grand River by pylons that instructed cars to go around another way. There is also an empty lot between the elementary and high school which allowed for play. Each of the six grades all with 4 classes would be able to get their 15 minutes “in the yard.”

We’d have a chance to play bean bag football out on St. Mary, with maybe 4-5 a side. Other kids would be using the street playing tag and other games but local “ground rules” assumed them to be on the field of play-both sides would have to tolerate them. So when in the huddle my buddy tells me to count to three then wail the bean bag down the middle of the street as far as I can, I nod in agreement. Sure enough, I can still see that green bean bag sailing through the air in a high, long arch and being chased down by my team mate for a score.

Then the alarm would ring. This act called for immediate quiet and cessation of movement on the street. Another alarm would ring and every kid on the street would have to line up in pre approved areas, based upon their class. No one could talk at this time, or otherwise cut up in any way. All the while, Principal Sister Maxine aka “Machine Gun Max” would watch the activities from her Stalag Crow’s Nest in the second floor school’s office which overlooked the yard and street. If she observed ANYTHING she thought was not right- a kid cutting up, talking, laughing- she would rap on the window glass with her ring resonating quite loudly getting everyone’s attention and summoning the offending kid upstairs for questioning. We all knew Sr. Maxine had “ways of making us talk”. Sr, Maxine stood maybe 5’0” but she scared the sh*t out of any kid who came to see her for disciplinary reasons.

I remember in maybe the 7th grade we took a field trip to Monsignor Hickey’s art galley which, to the best of my recollection was located on E. Grand Boulevard just south of Gratiot. The building has since been torn down.

In addition to the State Championship in Class C basketball that year, the boys track team won the State Class C Championship as well. State and Catholic League basketball Championship runs were common at that time with teams going several brackets deep quite often. Frank Orlando, long time Detroit Country Day Girls basketball coach and State Champion coached the Rustics Boys team just prior to Pat Mulcahy taking over in the mid seventies and winning the 1977 State.

I remember maybe a year or two after graduation, we rented out the old gym for what was billed as a fund raising situation. In advance of the event, we sold quite a few $5.00 tickets to what turned out to be a HUGE party with several kegs of beer and a band that played til the wee hours. We all thought the band played some Santana song so well that it was heard several times throughout the course of the evening. The place-being the old gym-was nearly indestructible although some Maroon tried to re route the plumbing in the men’s toilet. We somehow got that mess cleaned up, tidied up the place, met with Sister McGrath or Loretta the next day for an inspection of the facility. Luckily the old gym always has and will smell like old sweaty socks and within hours of the party the old barn returned to its signature smell disguising the decadence taking place there just hours before. We ended up getting our $25 deposit back, no one the wiser

Jimb

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winstin_o, I take it you're a Beatles (or at least Lennon) fan. I remember that party well, and I remember the deal with the plumbing in the bathroom, and the band - I think it may have been Dave Johns's band (he was the drummer). I think the Santana song was Black Magic Woman.

Besides the beanbag football, we also played kickball in the parking lot, with home plate near the gym entrance (maybe that was for gym class?). We used to play strikeout in the 'playground' during the summer - the gym wall had the strikeout box on it for many many years, or sometimes a regular baseball game with a rubber ball if there were a few guys around (the old invisible man on base, pitchers hand, supply your own catcher...).

Sr. Maxine had a little dog whose name I can't remember. She would bring it to school, and sometimes there would be announcements by her, calling her dog's name because it was loose in the halls. This must have been 5th or 6th grade.

Rustic, I was always hanging around GR -Greenfield, mostly Wards and Kresges. Wards had some video games there, including a car racing one, I think they may have been right by the entrance into Kresges from Wards. We loved to go down in Wards basement and check out the minibikes, the record department upstairs (where i always bought my 45s), Kresges cafeteria (they sometimes had a deal where they had balloons filled with a piece of paper that told you how much a Sundae would cost, also the first place I smoked in public). Bought my shoes at Thom McCanns or Flagg Bros. Big Boy was a big hangout too. Loved their pancakes, chocolate milk, the little jukeboxes at each table.

I remember them making the floats when I was a kid. I'd wander over to the parking lot and watch them, then watch the parade of floats go by when they were done.

I also bought beer while underage at Perks, as well as 7 Star (formerly Buds) and Great Lakes (I think this was previously Joes, on Fenkell), and before that waiting for a buyer outside Larrys (formerly Milky Market) or Eadahs.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Later, Duffy's and Dooley's got a lot of patronage from alumni.