Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5050
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, KR, I get it

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred's Fine Foods! I'm sure that was it. Thanks!

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's okay, J. The rest of us think of you as a sweetheart.

Jcole

Post Number: 5051
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you 7, you are too

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pre Jay's

Zitro

Post Number: 2479
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In these tough times maybe we need to bring these back.

Jcole

Post Number: 5055
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I could use a new toaster

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Your matchbook collection is the go to reference of Detroit east side history. A friend of mine collected hundreds of match books an would just toss them in a big glass bowl. Do you catalog yours? How many are in your collection?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL: There was one other name of the business known as Dunn Inn, Paper Station, or Chatham Village. It was the name of the place during the 60s. What was it. Honestly, I'm not sure but it was mentioned before. It's one of those names when you hear it you'll know it.

Zitro

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's around 10,000 but really it's been dormant for quite a few years since no one advertises on them anymore. I wouldn't say they are cataloged but I have them somewhat segregated by regions of the country or the world. I've had several people turn their collections over to me as they've gotten tired of theirs.

Interesting enough, I've found most matches from Asia are actually made of thin wood strips vs cardboard which I believe becasue at the time it wss cheaper to make that way or they didn't have the technology.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro's posting of S&H stamps brought up another interesting memory of the use of gift stamps. It seems on the east side there were S&H and Gold Bell stamps that were given out at the gas stations or grocery stores. Our family collected Gold Bell stamps and seemingly would stick with certain businesses depending on weather GB stamps were awarded...(but mind you this is from the perspective of a little kid). Does anyone remember what businesses awarded what gift stamps?
Sinclair Gas on Kelly awarded what stamps?
Chatham and Kroger awarded what stamps?
BTW, never knew S&H stood for Sperry and Hutchinson...that could be a great trivia question.

Zitro

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know my mother shopped primarily at Chatham's so I will assume the S % H stamps came from there and who could foget buying a set of the infamaous Funk & Wagnells Encyclopdia sets through there.

This link has quite few other eastside matchbooks listed in it.

http://www.facebook.com/album. php?aid=2002608&l=edb9e&id=120 0987561

7andkelly

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, 10,000 match books...that's an incredible collection. I wonder where yours ranks.

KR, don't forget Wrigley's. They were always giving out something. I'm pretty sure my aunt got an entire set of dishes from that place.

Zitro

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

&

Jcole

Post Number: 5057
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's not the Candlelight or the Rosewood, so we can rule those out.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: What was the name of the bowling alley on the north west side of Van Dyke and Outer Drive? A buddy of mine and I bowled there during open bowling on Sunday nights back in the early 70s and I completely forgot the name of the place. Match book reference is just an option.
.. think it may have had the name of 7 or Van Dyke in it but not sure. Thanks

Jcole

Post Number: 5058
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I was about to say the MY mother shopped mostly at Chatham, and we saved Gold Bell Gift Stamps, so there you go. Who knows why they saved what they saved. I remember a Gold Bell redemption center over near 7 and Gratiot. My godmother was the bookkeeper at the A&P over there near Robert Hall, and I think the redemption center was by there somewhere. I wonder if A&P gave Gold Bell? That would explain why we saved those. Mary, my Godmom, probably got a lot and shared with Ma.
Does anyone remember if/what Polla's gave. Dad loved to shop there, so he could 'taste' fruit.
Who elses dad was a fruit thief?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: You have ESP! I was just about to post "wasn't there a redemption center on the south side of 7 just west of Gratiot?" Don't recall shopping at Pollas except for picking up a case of 16 ounce E&B on beer day specials and standing in line seemingly for hours at the butcher counter when ground round was on sale. The family always shopped at Chatham or Kroger for most of their groceries including produce. Fruit tasting was acceptable back in the day...afterall you wouldn't want your family to be fed non-fresh produce would you?

Zitro

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I was assuimng on the S & H coming from Chathams but I'm not sure.

Here ya go KR:

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: It was a one word name...like Bud's or Al's. I think the answer is buried somewhere in this thread.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: YOU DA MAN!

Zitro

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple new pics on SJ FB page

Zitro

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall Falcon Lanes was one of cfg's old hangouts.

Jcole

Post Number: 5059
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people hung out at Gino's even into the 80's

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was Gino's?

Jcole

Post Number: 5060
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gino's Falcon Show Bar, at the Bowling alley listed above

7andkelly

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chatham Inn, Star Bar, The Paper Station, Jay's Paper Station, Dunn's Inn.

Jcole

Post Number: 5061
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember the Star Bar, but I'll take your word for it.
Does anyone remember a Middle-Eastern restaurant where Aldo's used to be?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Buy American! Support your local businesses"

M, I'm with you on this one. Since '79, I've always had at liest one GM vehicle, and sometimes two, with some Fords and Chryslers mixed in as well.

I do hope it all gets worked out for the big 3...somehow. If you're a congressman or senator, and you don't want to lend them the money because you honestly don't feel it's in the taxpayers' interest, then fine. Just don't say the problem is poor quality. Those that do obviously haven't driven a Ford lately, or a GM or Chrysler either. I am very satisfied with the GM and Chrysler vehicles I am leasing...I just hope they will still be available the next time around.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Duh.

7: Ah yes, the Star Bar
Do concur with the big 3 observation. Hopefully, this thing doesn't go to a political morass..north vs. south, republican vs democratic, organized labor vs. non-union you name it....the JD powers quality reviews certainly back what your state.