Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 576
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to the Usher's annual Christmas party last night in the lower church. Talked to one of the ushers who had been a St. Jude usher over 50 years. He had stories to tell about the "old days", Father Ording - and Ushers meetings at the usher's homes instead of at the Parish. What a delight to learn more about St. Jude. The party was small, but fun. Father Robert was helping Brian at the DJ table and looked like a natural. Mike Sawicki and his wife were there - always a joy to see them. The crew from the Pantry was there was well - and we even indulged in a "shot" toast!

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one for ya.
What was the name of the small music shop located on Kelly between the Rosewood Lounge, the pizza parlor (where I had my first "official" date w/ RM (some of you know her))and Tastee Freeze?
Follow up: The place had two names. What was the name changed to in (I believe) the seventies?
Double follow up: Where are they located now?

Mkap

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - I don't know the name of th ME restaurant at Aldo's, but does anyone know the name of it now?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5064
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MKap, it was Amato's Music in the early seventies.

Jcole

Post Number: 5065
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldo's is now Milt's Barbecue, or at least it was last year

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 577
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole - I think it's Milt's ribs - something like that.

Jcole

Post Number: 5066
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, how are Mike and Viv doing? It's been a long time since I've talked to him.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 578
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're doing well. I reminded him again to come join us on the SJS Facebook page as well as through this communication. Said that he's been meaning to do so....and would try to get connected. He was also talking about the old choirboy days.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Famous Pizza

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nostrovia, C!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 579
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a wild night for me - two thimbles of "shots" whoo hoo!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wild night for many of us. Saturday night with the laptop.

Tomorrow's the big day. Official start of the Christmas season for us.

We'll be at my brother-in-law's with a bunch of family turning out krusciki. (Yea, I had help with the spelling). I'm not qualified (being Scots/Irish, Belgian) to do any of the high tech work. I'm consigned to "transport" moving product from the cutting operation to the holding tables & back to the fryers. I'm also pretty good at testing & quality control. It's about an 8 hour process.

Jcole

Post Number: 5069
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yum. We're having Polish dinner for Christmas: keilbasa and sauerkraut, ham, pierogi (my daugher Kate's homemade ones), cheesy hash browns, homemade pickles, rye bread, oh, yeah, and some vegetable for a good example for the kids. Could use some of those krusciki for dessert, EB

Eastburn

Post Number: 583
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be in your usual spot in the bushes by the car wash & I'll toss a box out of the truck window about 9:00 PM.

Remember they're even better after they sit for a few days.

Jcole

Post Number: 5070
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, meet you by the car wash

Eastburn

Post Number: 584
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever wonder what newbys to this thread think when they read some of this stuff?

Jcole

Post Number: 5071
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's half the fun

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great trivia ques Mkap. On the corner, a couple of doors down from the music shop was our dentist (across from the Tastee Freeze). Now if anyone can state his name your truly would get the trivia prize. (Note to Z: I don't think he gave away matches).
Mkap: Are you referring to Little Ceaser's Pizza adjacent to the Rosewood Lounge parking lot or another one further south?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: Are there any "treasured" usher stories you can share with us?

Mkap

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC - Yes on the Amato's Pied Piper. That was the second name.
Still waiting for the original name and where thay are now.

JC - Right On again! Milt's has some of the best ribs this side of heaven. Great sweet potatoe pie too.

KR - Not the Little Ceaser's. I don't know what the name was, but Zitro may have rung a bell with "Famous".

Jcole

Post Number: 5072
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It WAS Famous Pizzeria and Bakery. .99$ pizza's and Italian bread to die for. Booths along the wall to take your 8th grade 'date' for dinner before a Friday night Basketball game or after a Saturday football game.

Jcole

Post Number: 5073
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dentist = Dr. Shipko

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: You know the hood. Pizza, Bakery, and of course to follow the dentist.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I hadn't thought about Famous Pizza in years. On nights when my parents were going out for the evening, they would leave money for us to go to Famous for dinner. Before my brothers could drive, that meant me perching on my brother's handlebars for the ride over. Geez, now I'm hungry again...

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any former tunnel gang members in this group?
If not,I will come clean as having been caught by Frank in 1968.
I'm glad I got this off my chest..I feel so much better!!!!!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sttunnelgang: Welcome to the forum. You've got the right thread. After 40 years isn't a load to get off. Please let us know some of the tunnel stories. What part of the tunnel were you in? Did you traverse the entire tunnel? Where did Frank catch you? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't spill my guts 100% because it might reveal a clue to my identity.
I believe 1 or 2 former tunnel gang associates are with us.
It was a very traumatic event.
I was placed in the WPP [witness protection prog] all because of sister Robert Marie and the penquin sisterhood.

Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it takes me a while to respond its because I have to recheck my spelling before I post anything.
Sister Robert Marie launched a martial arts front kick at me once while I was seated because I gave the wrong answear!!
From wherever she is watching...I forgive her.

Jcole

Post Number: 5078
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was one scary little nun. I had her in 5th grade for something. Miss Warzniak was homeroom, Robert Marie was across the hall

(Message edited by jcole on December 14, 2008)

Eastburn

Post Number: 585
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Sr. William Patrice around in your day, kids?

If so, anyone remember her politically incorrect nickname?

BTW, I got promoted to cutting & folding!

SJT, I'm the official Fr. Confessor around here. You can't just blurt stuff out w.o. checking with me 1st. Oh yea, welcome to the board. Stick around, you'll have a lot of fun. Particularly if you do know some of these slackers (which you do if you're a 70 grad).