Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I was thinking JC. I thought they were dead when they were teaching. Look at Sr. Leonita though, what was she when she recently died 104?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5108
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, it's cool that you got that room sign. She was one of my favorite teachers, along with Sr. Joyce and Mrs. Huget

Zitro

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sr. Paul Therese was a HUGE Tigers fan!

Jcole

Post Number: 5109
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that, Z. I remember her bringing a TV in for the world series the year we had her

Zitro

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What were the room numbers up in the gym?

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Room numbers in gym were 6-130 & 6-131.
Yes, they're both in Adrian - in fact, they still teach in a mentoring program. Don't have a clue as to their ages, but both are very sweet and very thankful to be remembered.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of those gals were also a lot younger than we thought. The Dominicans had my sister teaching in Cleveland when she had just turned 18. She joined the convent after her sophomore year @ Dominican, just before her 16th birthday. They got her through the last 2 years of HS & a year of college (enought to qualify for a teaching certificate in OH) in 2 years & got her out there. Her principal (the friend noted in my post above) tells me she was only 30 at the time & was running the school.

Jcole

Post Number: 5110
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we were in 131, Z. CFG was in 130 with Mr. McAdams, right, C?

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the last years they used the classrooms in the gym? I graduated in 72, and for the life of me can't remember having regular classes there.

Jcole

Post Number: 5115
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess it was when the school enrollment started to decline. The portables were gone by the time we were up there, so they were probably the last of the auxillary classrooms. That school was so over-populated when we were kids that they didn't have a room to put us in when the ceiling collapsed in third grade, so we had classes on the gym stage until they fixed the roof

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct J - 6-130 was Mr. McAdams. Kinda cool to be by ourselves in the gym and the view from the gym windows gave you a great look over the neighborhood. I was up there not too long ago - no great finds - but it sure brought back a lot of memories!

Jcole

Post Number: 5116
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, btw, we were up there in 67/68

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The third grade ceiling collapsed? Hmmm, that would have been the year I was in first grade. That would also explain the reason why whenever I smell hot tar, it brings back memories of the first grade. And no, I'm NOT making that up! It seemed that odor lingered the entire year. How long were you guys in the gym?

Zitro

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS: Doesn't surprise me since smells can be powerful reminders. This collapse was no joke either. It wasn't like a couple of ceiling tiles fell, it was entire I-beam. One of the kids (Gerald Cicotte right JC?) said something to the teacher and she just barely got the kids out of that row in time. I don't think there was enough time to get anyone out of the room before it fell. Not sure how long we were displaced. I'm not even sure I told my parents, nothing seemed like a big deal back then. Today there would have been lawsuits up the ying-yang

Jcole

Post Number: 5117
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember exactly, but it seems like it was a month or two. It might have been shorter and to a 8 year old it seemed long.
My memory says it happened in the spring and we finished the year in the gym.
CFG, ZZ, what say you?

Zitro

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're guess is as good as mine. It does seem like it was warmer out but I can't be certain.

Jcole

Post Number: 5119
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it was Gerald. The part that collapsed was the side by the windows. I think the flat roof was holding water and it leaked into the area above our ceiling. It started to sag, and the ceiling tiles were popping loose when Cicotte noticed and warned the teacher.
Anyway, I was thinking the water was from either spring thaw or rains and that's when it happened

(Message edited by jcole on December 16, 2008)

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey KR.....that is not ss Robert Marie.
shorter and meaner!!!!!!!!!
not sure who that is.
sister leonita?
does that sound right?

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Sister James Barbara was 1967 and not sure how long after.
She would tell us about when she taught in Florida and one of her students was the kid from the tv series flipper.
She had picts to show the class..... flipper and the kid.
Her class was above the gym in 1966 or 67

(Message edited by sjtunnelgang on December 16, 2008)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 583
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was 3-109, Mrs. Huget - and yep, it was the entire window side of the ceiling. It bowed for a brief time and some kids ran, but I remember a bunch of us just got under our desks - and they were the kind with the wrought iron on the sides and the inkwell in the top middle. Don't ask me how I remember that - but those desks were ancient, which is probably why they help up under the ceiling collapse. Father Ording came in the gym and joked "Is this the chicken Little class where the sky fell in?" The things we remember!

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, Mrs. Huget in 3-109? I had her 65-66, and she was the one who taught the class to say the ABC's backward - can still do it. What timeframe are you saying the roof fell in? I truly don't remember any of it.

Jcole

Post Number: 5121
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It fell in 63-64.
Sr. Daniel Michael taught us to say the alphabet backward in 1st grade. Maybe Mrs. Huget picked it up from her.
I can still say it, too. Got me out of a couple of tickets in my time.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65-66? JC, Z?
Maybe you got hit with some flying debris L? Are you one of the class of 70?

Jcole

Post Number: 5122
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born in 56, and I would have turned 9 in 3rd grade, so we were in Huget's room in 64-65, not 63-64 like I said above. We graduated in 70, so I think we started at SJS in 62.

12468_laing

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole, do you mean Sr. Dominick Michael, who was 2nd grade, on the corner, as you turned right from 101 and that side to go up to the old office? she always played her guitar.

Jcole

Post Number: 5123
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, I mean Sr. Daniel Michael. She was in Rm. 102 at the end of the hall on the 7 Mile side.
Sr. Dominic Michael was on the side of the hall across from 7 Mile, looking at the Rm. 100 courtyard, next to Rm. 108, where I had Sr. Angus in 2nd grade.

12468_laing

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole, ya got me on that one. and you have her room right. i can still remember that class getting down on our knees, before Fr. Ording gave out report cards.

Jcole

Post Number: 5124
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she was a fairly young nun and she may have left the year after I had her. Sr. Dominic Michael was still there when I was there, because my friend Terri Dugan had her when I had Sr. Angus

12468_laing

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as it turns out, i decided to slack a little more, and as i got to this page, "let there be peace on earth" came on the radio again - this version is sung by vince gill and a young girl. beautiful and brings back so many memories as I am posting about sjs. coincidence? ok, Sister, I'll get back to work:-(:-(:-(

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 585
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J - you're right 63-64. I thought I made my Communion in 64, but it was 62. HOW did I get that wrong?