Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no wonder she always gave me that funny look

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5143
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would explain things, wouldn't it?
Is Jim up around Fort Gratiot somewhere?

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure....
I can find out.
I saw his email address on a forwarded email from a Detroit friend earlier this year.
I will dig it up and be back tomorrow...God willing.....see ya

Jcole

Post Number: 5144
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, thanks
Have a good night

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy oh boy! You think you guys would remember, even after forty plus years, who saved your life in the third grade. It was not Gerald, it was me.
I will never forget it. We were doing math problems, and Glen Porth got my attention and pointed to the ceiling. I saw that the ceiling tiles were sagging, so I went to Mrs. Huget and told her to look up. She moved most of the class out quickly, then KAAAABlammm... it all fell.

I think it happened in late winter. We had had a snow storm prior to the incident. Then it was relatively warm and melted the snow on the roof. I guess the roof drains were still frozen shut and could not drain the water. It must have piled up in a low spot or something.
Spent the next couple of months in the Gym for class.

I forgive you because I realize the first thing to go is what... I can't remember.LOL

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap, do you have a brother Matt?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: regarding St. Robert Marie. That may be her. She just seems taller and younger due to the fact that ground is sloped where she's standing and tha picture was taken at an earlier time (circa 63). LOL.

Sjtg: Our all boy 6th grade class started the school year (1964-65) in the gym on stage. (The show was certainly entertaining). We later moved to the new wing on the back of the school behind the gym (those 6 new classrooms replaced the portables). I believe that was the first and last time St. Jude had an all boy and all girl classroom. It was an experiment that failed miserably (at least with Mr. Flemming..the boy's teacher). The disciplinary problems were a constant.

Jcole

Post Number: 5145
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry Mkap. I would have bet my mother that it was Cicotte.
Well, thanks belatedly. I was the last kid next to the windows, so you saved my life or at least saved me from a severe headache when the I beam hit me in the head

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: Have you had a chance to wander over to Facebook yet? Check it out and join the group over there when you get a chance

Jcole

Post Number: 5147
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Z, how'd you bowl?

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember both mark and matt johnstone - matt used to be called johnrock. tom haas also. remember all of them. matt went on to be the class president of denby's class of 1975.

Zitro

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I could stop after my second game lately I'd be doing fine, in spite of a dismal 187 my last game I had a 661 series for the night.

Zitro

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Johnstone's lived on Novara 2 houses off Redmond almost right across from the McClain's.

Jcole

Post Number: 5150
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, nice series. And 187 isn't dismal to most of us.

Laing, I used to ice skate with them a lot up at Heilmann

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC you are quite welcome. I would never expect anyone to remember something forty+ years later. I don't remember alot from back then, but I remember that day as clear as a bell.

Z - No on the facebook sign up yet. Will do soon. 187 dismal? I was lucky to break 150 with all the beer frames we used to do. I can't remember how many times I was staring at 20 plus pins that would move from side to side. I just shot for the one in the middle.

Tsomyak - Yes on the brother Matthew.

(Message edited by mkap on December 17, 2008)

Zitro

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: Check it out as there are some great memeories on there along with some excellent recent pics and videos of the church and school that 7 posted. If you have any pics please upload them.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: I thought as much. Matt was in my class, we hung out during high school as well. I spent a lot of time with him over at Dominican on the pretense of working on the stage crew. :-)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 586
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, Mkap - I too, Should have remembered that it was you who saved our 3rd grade butts.
Great bowling Z - my highest game ever 247 - all that with my Fred Flintstone delivery - one, two, three, skip, end on right leg, throw with right arm. Smacked the back of my leg a couple of times - and was asked if I was "handicapped" once - but it works for me! :-)

Zitro

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Fred Flintstone was one of the greatest bowlers ever!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 587
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously, even as a young child, I saw in him, my bowling mentor!

Zitro

Post Number: 2504
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must be getting harder as the years go by to get up on your toes like that though

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 588
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, yes, it is - but a bowler has to do, what a bowler has to do - and the brewski's definitely keep the discomfort at bay. Nothing like a cold Blue or two to keep the bowlers comfortable and pain free!

Zitro

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brewski's days are long gone, now it's just a handful of Advil to take the edge off.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 589
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Advil works - as well as Motrin, Excedrin and Tylenol. Ahh, the joys of getting a little older! I bowled with a team of Youngsters - 30-35 and just marveled at their capacity of the Blues. I'm good with 1 a game, just to be a good teammember, you know! ;-)

Zitro

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandle's Bros.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 599
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, slackers. Lunch time's over. You're back on the clock. Let's get some words of wisdom up here.

7, where are you?

Jcole

Post Number: 5158
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My words are that I am getting ready to got work my somewhat large posterior off up at Curves. I'll be back in about an hour.

Zitro

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a dilema. I'm sitting here with this brand new shiny bike from Jake's Bike Shop. I'm dying to ride it but the streets are full of snow and I don't want to get it dirty. I can only ride it in a circle for so long in my basement. What kind of Christmas present is this if I can't use it till spring? This sucks! Someone take me over to Balduck so I can go down the hill in my saucer.

(Message edited by zitro on December 18, 2008)

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry z, but i'm on my way to heilman to do some serious skating. check back later.

Zitro

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not allowed to cross Boulder