Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Lions Football » Archive through December 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 697
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watching the Giants, Redskins and what difference from the lousy Lyin's.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whilst the Lions were off today , I was sitting back pondering who the Lions could hire as their new GM.

The person that I came up with played 15 years in the NFL. He is also a hometown business Man and community developer. Also, he was part of an football organization that has won from its inception to the NFL.

He played under one of the best coaches of our era. He is also a honest and respected individual throughout the NFL. It seems every thing he touches turns to gold (His Football career, his business career, and TV career).

He is such a positive experience, that his ex-coach ask him to come out of retirement to help his team win a Superbowl. Who is this person. No other than our very own Jerome Bettis.

If you think about it, he is a young, smart and talented business man. He is well respected around the league from players to coaches, and comes from an excellent winning organization like the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Bottom line, the Lions will not get a top GM retread to take this job. We need a fresh hometown 'Detroiter' that has our heart and soul in mind when it comes to the decision making and future of our professional football team.

The Lions cannot go wrong with this choice.

blksoul_atcha!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uhm no thanks

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 881
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Double no thanks. Worst thing a team in the crapper can do is hire an inexperienced GM and if you think no top, experienced guy will come I disagree. GM's are no different than players, they go where the money is. Plus, most GM's like the challenge of building from the bottom. It's a no lose situation, especially in the NFL, where all teams are equal due to the cap and you can turn it around in 3 years. Just give the right guy a 5 yr deal and he'll sign.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9420
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Blksoul_x, but I'm gonna have to make that a triple. While I love what Jerome Bettis has done in his career on and off the field, he's hardly qualified to lead this or any other NFL team. While he still cares for Detroit deeply (and is appreciated for it), he needs to get learn a brand new game now if he were to step into management someday. That day isn't coming up soon though; he needs to learn how a team is built, how players are handled, and how all the little intricacies of running an NFL team is done.

I'm in complete agreement with 401don in the sense we give the best experienced guy out there a five year deal and see what formula they have for righting the ship. We'll probably have to overpay as an enticement to lure them here, promise them all sorts of control, and lavish all sorts of perks & bonuses to them- but if it gets us closer to the Promised Land, then so be it. That being said- at the end of that five years, we'd better see some results too. This contract for the new GM should be a two way street- they perform well, they stay. And if they stink- they get the broom. Nothing personal about it. Sorry Mr. Ford (we know it's one of your better attributes) but loyalty be damned here because the NFL is about results.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9421
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Lions cannot go wrong with this choice."

While Jerome didn't play here for us, I really do hate seeing our heroes go out there try to the best of their abilities and fail. I've never been a huge fan of seeing fan favorites become coaches or GMs because they are under such scrutiny. Just because a star player excelled on the field doesn't always translate to the front office or for them to be the leader of men.

Their allure gets tarnished awfully quickly. Look at what happened to Alan Trammell with baseball, Isiah Thomas with basketball or Wayne Gretzky in hockey. Unless they win it all, they're doomed to get fired (granted Gretzky hasn't yet). I'd almost much rather see a second level player ascend through the ranks of coaching in the minors, become an assistant, and then possibly get a shot at coaching.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So uh... what is your excuse for Joe D?? I bet the excuse is that he is an exception. I agree with you Blk_soul, I think that Bettis would make a passionate and leading GM. Especially if he brought in a hard-nosed coach like a Cowher, Parcells, or Gruden.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9428
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe D is the exception (and there are others). He's actually pulled off some decent moves the last few years too but it sure as heck hurt all of these years watching a Pistons hero get lambasted for the Darko draft too.

Now a question would arise if Bettis were to be GM- how would a hardened coach such as you're proposing feel about his role under a rookie GM? Especially a Bill Cowher that coached him not that long ago. Would there be friction there?

I don't doubt that Jerome Bettis has the passion but then couldn't the same have been said for Matt Millen his first few years here as well? Granted Bettis' passion would be more for the city and then the team, but I think everyone's concern would be around his lack of experience. And long before we even start talking coaches, i think it's got to start from as high up as possible... we need a great GM with vision here first.

(Message edited by smogboy on December 01, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 9431
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally if I had my choice of candidates to toss (lots of) money at, why not shoot for the top and try to entice Scott Pioli of the New England Patriots here to hopefully resurrect this motley bunch?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2821
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hand over Fist? The Lions are one of very few teams last season who lost money. Ford spends money on par with the top with the top in the NFL. Just not wisely.

It makes no sense to fire the coach. All it does would require Ford to pay another coach for the next 2-3 seasons for doing nothing. Why do you ask. Becuase no matter whom they appoint they will get a Head Coaching contract and their agent isn't stupid and will get it for multiple years.

Focus on the future, not on the present.

Blksoul_X, while I usually agree with many of points, this one is Matt Millen Part Two.

I like Pioli, but at the same time he scares me. His drafts as of late have not been great. While his protege with Atlanta, who use to work for the Lions BTW, is doing well. Maybe they need to find the next Pioli in waiting.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 700
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj, Will you show me where the Lyin's lost money last year? Or, is that just your opinion?

Smogboy

Post Number: 9442
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry _sj_, but according to Forbes, the Lions did VERY well last year.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2 003/0915/nfl_11.html

The NFL is such a well oiled machine with their sponsorships and contracts, I don't see how any of the owners can lose money.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the NFL owners have some sort of a collective bargaining agreement, which essentially means the owners all share equal gains and losses? Right?

blksoul_atcha!
We are the ones we have been waiting for!

_sj_

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_X, they share TV, Radio, Merchindise, Ticket revenues.

quote:

Sorry _sj_, but according to Forbes, the Lions did VERY well last year.

That was not last year, it was for 2002. Infact not only did they lose money in 2007, they lost money in 2006 and 1999 and 2000 and will lose money this year.

People do not own sports teams to make money.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 701
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sj, Please list your sources. Mine say they netted 4.1 million dollars profit in 2007. Where did you get your figures? Also, where did you get your info that owners do not own teams to make money?

(Message edited by 20043 stotter on December 01, 2008)

Smogboy

Post Number: 9448
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad. I pulled up the wrong chart.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/20 07/30/biz_07nfl_Detroit-Lions_ 300486.html

Seems as though the only dip (besides Coach Marinelli at his weekly press conferences) is in the operating income which dropped $1.8 million.

But if you guys want to see the overall NFL teams' value in 2006 (the latest information), here's another chart to ogle:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/20 07/30/biz_07nfl_NFL-Team-Valua tions_Value.html

_sj_

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And those are just guesstimates by Forbes.

The 2007 numbers show a loss over 3 million and more than likely will climb this season. Two years of losses, more than likely three.

Event the Cowboys need a loan to finish their stadium and the NFL has investigated credit for its teams.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like you smogboy, my bad too. I pulled up data that was not current.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting scenario for the Lions at Vikings this Sunday, and would still wind up with the #1 draft pick with a win and then end the season @ 1-15. This looks like their last best chance:

NFL suspends 6 players for doping violations

"Six players, including the heart of the Minnesota Vikings’ stout defensive line, were suspended for four games without pay by the NFL on Tuesday for violating the league’s anti-doping policy."

The suspended players were running back Deuce McAllister and defensive linemen Charles Grant and Will Smith of New Orleans; defensive linemen Kevin and Pat Williams of Minnesota; and long snapper Bryan Pittman of Houston.

"The punishment means all six will miss the end of the regular season, an especially harsh blow to Minnesota, which relies heavily on the Williamses in its run defense, which ranks second in the league."

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7996
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LIONS SUCK

Smogboy

Post Number: 9476
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strike up the band and call the media- Danny made an astute observation here.

As if we fans didn't know that revelation already.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

0-13.

Mornhinweg can breathe a sigh of relief.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on December 07, 2008)

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

::SOBS::

Someone please cut the Lions off TV!

Drew Sharp is right. Not even heaven can save this team.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good news would have to be, while the Lions have been 'Blacked-out' the past few weeks, and being able to comfortably watch other teams in the National Football League, the Lions are not far behind many of the mediocre teams that I have been witnessed the past few weeks.

A quality piece here and there, and the Lions are just as good as Green Bay, Minnesota, Chicago etc.

There is hope for next year!

blksoul_atcha!
'We are the ones we have been waiting on'!

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

0-16 here we come!

20043_stotter

Post Number: 714
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I happened to catch Dan "Blowhard" Miller when the Lyin's tied the score, With his screaming, You would have thought we were going to the super bowl. No, it was worse, you would have thought we WON the super bowl. Hey Dan!, "SHUT THE "F" UP. You are the worst announcer the Lyin's ever paid off, to act like an asshole.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lions tie Tampa Bay for the consecutive loss record in a season @ 0-14...uncharted territory up next, just like our region's economy.

Yikes!!

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 408
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be an optimist, a few things have been proven this season. The Lions have 3 quality pieces on offense to build on....

Dan Orlovsky(QB)
Calvin Johnson(WR)
Kevin Smith(RB)

So then, the upcoming draft should be simple...FOCUS ON SOME TYPE OF CHEMISTRY ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE, AND A FEW PIECES ON DEFENSE.

If the Lions take on the need(s) mentioned above, I can see the Lions contending for the North Division Title as soon as next season!

blksoul_atcha!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3708
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, I fear you're a dreamer, but I love your optimism!

Before they even analyze players, they need a new playbook.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 715
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deja Vu, They need to rebuild.