Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St Marys of Redford Parish/School/neighborhood Nostalgia » Archive through December 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took skating lessons at Winter Wonderland on Schoolcraft. We lived first on Robson, went to MOSES, Mother of Our Sorrows Elementary School for fifth grade. Moved to Memorial two blocks south of Schoolcraft went to Queen of Hope for sixth grade and on to Main St. Mary's for seventh and eighth grade.

This was in 1953-1956.

At the time St. Mary's was a powerhouse in football, we even had a grade school football team. I was a grade school cheerleader, we wore hand me down uniforms from high school varsity They were to large but our moms took them in. I Believe St. Marys played Denby or Pershing for the city Championship in 1955 at Briggs Stadium (could be wrong about the city team) we lost but the grade school cheerleaders got to do one cheer at the big stadium.

I ate lunch at the counter at Bashur drugs. Went to Hecker Drugs on Schoolcraft where my brother and I had a charge account. I loved that time in my life.

In 1956 my dad moved his practice to Redford and moved us to Farmington,(No Farmington Hills then).
Bigger house, lots of land, no friends, no sidewalks, no stores, my mom had to drive me everywhere. No fun. I missed SMR and the great neighborhoods.

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pkbroch, Farmington must have really been the boonies back then. That must have been a major bummer to go from a populated area with so many kids and so many places to go and things to do nearby, to nowheres-ville. By the time I was in high school (74-78) I wouldn't have minded that move - by then the neighborhood had changed quite a bit, all of my childhood friends were gone, and Farmington was no longer the total boonies.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimb-

You are correct sir-I am a huge Beatles and Lennon fan.

You are also correct that the band was indeed Dave John's band.

As for "buying"--Harper's Party Store on Schoolcraft, west of Southfield would actually deliver. So we would put in an order for maybe a case of Pabst and a dozen Mickey Malt Liquor, maybe a pint or two of sloe gin for the ladies, then give a bogus address. Thirty minutes later, the driver would be aiming his light at an address that did not exist, only to see 2-3 mugs milling about who would flag the driver down and make the exchange. Of course, it helped that the driver usually was a young guy who appreciated the tip we'd give him....

Jimb

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

W_o_b ,also a HUGE Beatles fan, brothers and sister started buying the albums/45s when I wasn't quite 4 yrs old. I'm in a band, of course we play several Beatles songs. Didn't know about Harpers til I started hanging out at the Martin's house over by Stans Market, wasn't in my immediate hood. Wasn't it right by the DQ, by Schoolcraft and Faust?

We were at that DQ one night after imbibing in some sort of illegal substances, summer of 74 probably. Some lady went nuts, drove up onto the sidewalk and tried to run over some pedestrians. We were sitting in the parking lot of the DQ, just out of her range.

Rustic_in_md
Username: Rustic_in_md

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jimb, Winstin, Pkbroch, Beachboy, et al my fam had SMR '65, '67, '69, '71 and the rest went to private or public schools. I dont recall a Dan Miller at QOH. We skated at Winter wonderland both before and after the expansion. One of my grade school friends lived in the white house on Schoolcraft that was torn down for the expansion. There was so much behind Mgsr Hickey rep; not only what you have noted for his contributions to the archdiocese's finances, and his art, but the troubling issue with Coughlin (sp) from the Shrine. As I heard it, the Cardinal asked Hickey to "handle" the rogue stance. As early grade schoolers we first heard of Fr Gabriel Richard and the early history of Detroit from Msgr, after he would hand out our quarterly report cards (no SMR, MOS or QOH grader-schooler could ever forget Msgr showing up with the scarlet lined cape and that way cool hat with the black fuzzy thing on top. The stories on Fr Richard still resonate as one only realizes as an adult that those were Msgr's practical lessons on civic duty, service and faith.
Mr Peeters the SMR organist was one of my all time favorites. He would handle the organ for funeral mass, high mass (pre-Vatican II) men's retreat, etc. As a kid I thought the pipes would explode from the energy he would generate from his play. Every now and then we could hear him practice mid-day or just crank out some Bach, and sometimes sing to himself in that deep baritone in an almost empty church.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mgsr. Hickey lived in the church tower later after he retired. Unfortunately, he got mugged one day during his daily walk down Grand River. He was in his 80's at the time.
It just tells you how bad the neighborhood had become. He was a saintly old man.
Going to St. Mary's now is a surreal experience. It's like being in the twilight zone. What was seems more real than what is now.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2515
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 years ago I worked next door to Edison Elementary (where all of the kids who were going straight to hell when they died went to school) and the crossing guard, a lady in her late seventies was mugged.

Moc
Username: Moc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to encourage my mom ('65) to post a message here. She has a lot of SMR memories. My dad was there only up until 8th grade (CC '64).
Maybe this will spark it.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Betty Griffin was the Journalism teacher back in the late 60's at SMR. I owe her a lot of
appreciation for her showing confidence in me when I was a junior and senior there. I never would have written a book without her inspiration.

Jimb

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moc, my brother Dennis was in your mom's class. He was at the 40 year runion back in 05 - maybe he saw her there?

Daddeeo, I had a great drafting and architecture teacher, Mr. Welsh. Unfortunately he left after my sophomore year. I really enjoyed those classes, in part because he was such a good teacher. I had some thoughts on going into architecture in college after those two classes. I took Drafting II in 11th grade with Mr. DeJaeger (the football coach, had some success at one of the Rochester schools a while back). He was certainly no Mr. Welsh! He didn't really know much about drafting, but I guess they had to have someone teach the class. Senior year there were no more drafting-related classes to take, so I took a computer class, ending up majoring in Computer Science. I was one of the best students in the Drafting II class and DeJaeger tried giving me a B, while giving As to two of his football players. I knew them pretty well, asked one of them to give me some of their draawings. I then went to the asst principal or principal, I forget which, with the football player's drawings and my drawings, said OK who do you think deserves the A (my test scores were also better)? Suddenly DeJaeger found an error in his records and realized I should have had an A afer all! I'll never forget that experience.

Moc

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimb, my mom is Cathy (Kuhlman) O'Dea.
I think you mentioned my grandpa in an earlier post.

Jimb

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So your grandpa must be Burt (Bert?) Kuhlman. I mentioned that he used to play in the band at the Dads Club Shows, I think he played trombone or possibly piano. My dad acted in some of the shows, mom sang in some. I'm sure my parents knew your grandparents. And chances are your mom knew my brother, Dennis Burke.

Moc

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's my grandpa (Bert). I haven't thought of him in a long time. He passed away in 1994. My grandma took part in the shows as well. They were both really big into SMR. He played a lot of instruments, and was quite talented musically. I will let my mom know about your brother. She was the youngest of 4 girls (all SMR grads).

Olaim
Username: Olaim

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who missed the grade school farewell mass, SMR would still like to see you for the Holidays. Sunday Mass is 1130AM

Jimb

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they still doing a Christmas Eve midnight mass? We used to go to that every year back in the 70s. My dad sang in the choir, and they sometimes had the horns playing along. We always had a get-together at our house after the mass. I attended the grade school farewell mass last June. What a feeling it was to see the church filled to capacity once again, standing room only.

Grandmont_rez
Username: Grandmont_rez

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! After reading all your posts, it brings back a FLOOD of memories. I went to SMR from 1978-89 (K-8) and I remember so much from that school and around the area. Wykkidx, I remember "The Bells of St. Marys" and the giant paddle in the office! And Bashers!...holy cow, I remember all that stuff!

I have memories of "Hot Dog Thursday" and the girls (7th and 8th grade) that came around at lunch time selling chips.

I didn't live as close to school as you did Jimb, but not too far...I lived on Grandmont, the first block off Grand River, so I had about six blocks to walk. Reading all your posts sure bring back all the memories of school and the neighborhood.

Jimb, I was hoping you would allow me to use the two photos you posted on 10/27? I just recently started a group in Facebook called "St Mary of Redford Elementary School (Detroit)". I was hoping I could post these photos to that group? If any of you have a Facebook account, feel free to drop by and say hello!

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. This is too much. I went to SMR from K-6, then, in 1986, when I went to UD for the Academy (Rest in Peace Mr. Hall). I had Ms. and Mrs. Rogers (I think) for kindergarten, and Ms. Mullett in first grade (she was my first crush). Great memories!

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved going to the fair at St. Mary's. Seemed much better than the one at St. Scholastica.

The name David Johns sounds very familiar to me. Thinking maybe he was our paperboy in early 70's. Did he live on Murray Hill near 6 mile?

Shovelhead
Username: Shovelhead

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimb's comment about Farmington being "nowhere'sville" brought back some memories for me.
I lived in Farmington Township in 1969,and dated a girl on Marlowe north of Grand River.
We went to a party at one of her friend's, and I was introduced around. The usual question, "where do you go to school?" When I answered "Farmington", the answer back was "You live WAY out there?"
Hey, it was only thirteen and a half miles away!

Jimb

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandmont-rez, feel free to use the pictures. Sounds like you lived right near the Nowickis and the Noxakis's (sp?). I'll have to get over to facebook, register and check out your 'site'.

Alfie1a, don't know where Dave Johns lived, I didn't know him well at all, but he definitely would have been the right age to be a paper boy in the early 70s, and I know he lived somewhere in that general area. I was a paperboy myself in 73-75, ny first job. My route was over in Rosedale Park though - station was in the alley behind the Cartwheel Bar and the chinese restaurant, route was Scarsdale, Avon for a couple of blocks from Scarsdale due north over, and Puritan between Avon and Glastonbury.

Shovelhead - when I was a senior in high school I started dating a girl who lived in Walled Lake. Now that really seemed like the middle of nowhere to me, even in 1978. By then I had friends who had moved to Farmington, so that didn't seem too remote any more, but I didn't go much further out than that. And I still didn't know the east side even existed back then! Slight exaggeration, but not by much. When the whole white flight thing started, one of my best friends moved to Romeo, late 72 or early 73. I went out there to visit in the summer of 73, felt like I was 'Up North'.

Grandmont_rez

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron, I had Mrs. Rogers as my kindergarten teacher. She had the one class and Ms. Rogers (her daughter) had the class across the hall. I don't remember Ms. Mullett...I had Ms. Dougherty...I think I was as tall as her in first grade!

Shovelhead, I know what you mean...when I lived on Grandmont, my parents use to take me WAAAY out to Livonia Mall for coney dogs (and Toys'R'Us on the East side of Middlebelt).

Jimb, I grew up with the Nowicki's youngest daughter and lived across the street from them (actually one house over, across the street). And I knew the Noxakis', but they were more my brother's age so I didn't hang out with them all that much. I use to play hacky sac with the Hides down the street from me. And there were the Getus's (sp?) on the corner (of Ray Monier, but I always like Midfield better) with their son Lee. And the Rufs, the Harringtons...

BTW, thanks for letting me use those photos!

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG I also remember Mrs. Rogers as my kindergarten teacher, I think I had Sr. Rosemary Burnadette for my first or second grade teacher and Ms. Lane for physical ed.

Jimb

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see the SMR post alive again!

Grandmont_rez, that must have been Colleen that you knew. My sister Terry dated Paul for several years, so I got to know all of the Nowickis. Kevin was in my class - saw him at our 30th reunion back in September. Mr. and Mrs. Nowicki were still living on Grandmont til recently. I see them and Ronnie Joe now and then. I went to a few of their Christmas get-togethers at their house in the late 70s - early 80s. I remember playing the piano with Colleen at one of them - she was no older than 10 or so at the time.

Wykkidx, that must have been Dottie Lane - she was a fixture at SMR for many years. She did some coaching as well.

SMR didn't have kindergarten back when I was a kid. I think they started that after they started losing students in the mid 70s with so many people moving out of the neighborhood. Before that there weren't enough classrooms to accommodate kindergarten - they barely had enough room for 1st thru 8th grade. I had to go to Edison for kindergarten - Mrs. Wasserman, in the morning, for anyone who might have been there back then. After mom walked me to Edison for the first week or so, I started walking with my buddy Matt Mallon - five years old and we walked a mile to kindergarten by ourselves! Of course that was 1965-66. I still remember walking past Saint Mary's bakery every morning just dying to go in and get a fresh lunchstick!

Grandmont_rez

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimb, the name Terry sounds familiar. I remember when Paul was dating a Terry...probably your sister. And I remember Colleen playing the piano...you may have even seen me (Tim) over there one of those times. And Ronnie Joe...lol...I just found him on Facebook today.

I had Dottie Lane for a phys ed as well...I think everyone did...lol.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all the students that went to SMR from MOS, there is an all class reunion next August 15, 2009.
A lot of kids that came from Queen of Hope and Mother of Our Savior never felt accepted at SMR.
Let me know if you are interested. Mother Marius has expressed interest in going.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep in touch with a couple-three of the Hydes. Crazy stories from that family. The Noxakis' lived on the corner right across from Cross Plumbing. John died a year and a half ago from a heart attack, at 41.

Grandmont_rez

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy, which of the Hydes do you keep in touch with. I can't remember their names...

Who had a heart attack? Are you talking about John Noxakis? He died from a heart attack? Doesn't he own a seafood restaurant in Birmingham? He had an older brother named Mike, right?

Jimb

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, unfortunately he's talking about John Noxakis. I heard about that through some friends. I knew Mike and Katina, met John a few times but didn't really know him. Don't remember the details of what happened with John.

Besides being across from Cross, they were right next to the old Schmalzreidt (sp?) funeral home, which, after closing, became a school for the blind.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 367
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And is still the school for the blind. Yes, John died right before 4th of July 2007.

Of the Hydes, there were several. All the girls names started with J and all the guys names started with P. I was a safety boy in third grade with Phil on the corner of Rutland and Midfield when we attended Edison. His twin sister lives in Chicago. Neither went to St Mary's but several of their older siblings did.

Grandmont_rez

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How unfortunate about John. I can't believe that. He was a bit older than me so we didn't typically hang out, but I knew him, his brother Mike, and Katina.

And I remember when the school for the blind was a funeral home....wow, that was a long time ago.

I think I remember a Pete Hyde being one of the Hyde brothers.