Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Lions glory days --> Wayne Fontes era « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard to believe this is what qualifies as glory days for the Lions...

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081225/COL22/812250368

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at the success of the other two "cats" in the NFL: Jaguars and the Panthers, both of whom have only been in the league since 1995. The Jaguars have played in 11 playoff games and have a 5-6 record, and the Panthers 9 with a 6-3 record including a SB appearance in 2003. They have clinched at least a playoff berth this season as well, and could win their division.

The Lions are 0-3 in the playoffs since 1995, and haven't had even a .500 record since 2000. The Browns had to start fresh in 1999, and they have had two winning seasons since then, compared to the Lions one in 2000.

What's not to believe? If the Lions did not luck into drafting Barry Sanders, none of their so-called "glory years" of the 90s would have happened.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on December 26, 2008)

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even worse Flanders, the Lions are 1-9 in post season play during the 45 years of WCF's ownership (with no championship appearances). Only with that one win did they even advance past the first playoff round. So, in 9 of 45 years (or 20%) did the Lions even qualify for post-season play. That's simply pathetic.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think how those "glory years" may have been if Fontes didn't change coordinators every year. (+ have a fascination with the old "chuck & duck" offense, when having a group of QB's with questionable arm strength)

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After watching the Cards beat the living shit out of Carolina, the Lions are now the worst franchise in the past 50 years of the NFL. Wayne Fonts with a 10-6 record and a first round loss in the playoffs sure looks better than 0-16. When they drafted Barry Sanders, it sure was the blind pig getting an acorn! The Loins had hired a guy from the Bears that had been their General Manager when they won the 84 Super Bowl, and he was responsible for drafting the players the Loins had in the early 90's. Of course, he was sacked by the Loins, because he went against the "Philosophy" of the scouting staff, and made waves. Yeah, he actually could evaluate talent!!!

Unfortunately, I don't see any end to the tunnel, this franchise will totally suck until the day old man Ford finally goes to that great car factory in the sky (old Henry lived until he was nearly 88, so hopefully it won't be too much longer for Willie Clay, he's 82).

Guess I will have to root for the Eagles now, or whatever team has the one Alumnus from my small University, Harding. Philly has a guy named Tank Daniels, a reserve linebacker who plays special teams. He won a Super Bowl ring with the Giants last year, and is playing this year for the Eagles. As long as Tank's in the league, whoever he plays for will be my team. I sure hope he doesn't come here to Detroit, as I divorced the Loins a couple of years ago.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Loins had hired a guy from the Bears that had been their General Manager when they won the 84 Super Bowl,

Jerry Venisi (sp) Insiders claimed he had a drinking problem. How ironic is that ?

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: