Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 degrees, wind howling & just finished watching "A Christmas Story" with the grandkids. Great way to spend the evening.

Sledding tomorrow if the wind chill gets above 15 degrees.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5204
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, OK, take them sledding. I won't argue with you again. :-)

Eastburn

Post Number: 607
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes double posts, inadvertent as they may be, are amusing.

Yea, cookies & cocoa, definitely,

(Message edited by eastburn on December 21, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 5206
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We keep drifting over here real bad. That wind is coming in directly from the west. Z, just grab a kite, and you can be here in a few hours. You can get some Coney Island chili when you land, along with some kielbasa and a Faygo

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of coneys, did anyone else risk their health on a regular basis at the coney place on 7 hear Hayes? I had WAY too many late night meals there. "Two sliders and a bowl of grease" was the regular order. Was that named Onassis? I seemed to recall that quickly got twisted to O'Nasty's. One sure sounds good now though...

Eastburn

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite as a kid was the Dog House on Gratiot across from Saratoga Hospital. A regular Saturday lunch stop when out collecting my Detroit Times route.

Jcole

Post Number: 5208
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was only at that Onassis one time, and it was well after I moved. I went with a friend to a Ramone's concert up at a place on Gratiot just south of 7. It was 1986 or so, and I was already 30. I lasted about half the concert, and all the under aged kids kept asking me to buy for them. The noise was about to pop my bad eardrum, and the people getting passed over my head was making me nervous. I bugged out and went and sat at the Coney until the kids from the bar started filtering in and went back to gather up my friend. Not my finest evening.
BTW, does anyone remember the name of that show bar on Gratiot?

(Message edited by jcole on December 21, 2008)

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc..I think it was Zeus...then trax

Jcole

Post Number: 5209
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trax, that's what it was when I was there.
Thanks

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dog House was the best but O'Nastayass was convienient after bowling at Fantasy

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the Lions win next week.

IMO, if their slogan would have been "Believe in God" instead of "Believe in now" they would have been blessed with more wins.

"Believe in now" is just as empty as "Seasons Greetings".

Jcole

Post Number: 5210
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7, God is on the side of the strongest battalion, and right now, that's not the Lions.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, lets hope JC is right and we can squeeze one past the Pack next week. Today they were horrible. No defense. Broke another record by being outscored at home by 176 points. The Saints took it easy on them in the fourth, could have been 50+ to 7 (and a penalty gave them that with a first and goal).

Zitro

Post Number: 2534
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spring Training can't come soon enough.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was sorry to see the lions lost to the saints. when will the fords wake up and realize that if they don't start looking like a team with a future, fans will be turning away? loss of revenue of apparel, business on game days, etc. what is the inside word - will the duo who act as the gm go and a real gm take over? think marinelli will stay? as for draft choices, they will get a high one, but for what positions?

Zitro

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions won't get straightened out in one draft, too many holes to fill. They need to concentrate almost solely on defense. How was the game yesterday laing, it looked like everyone was in a frenzy!

12468_laing

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

titans played probably their best game of the year. the last td they got, it looked like pittsburgh gave up.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spring training...now there's a pleasant thought...definitely something to look forward to. That, and the NFL draft. Will the Lions hire a new coach? Too bad Marinelli didn't work out here. He seems like such a decent guy. At least when the game's over, and he's doing his press conferrence, you know he's watched the same game.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 592
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I doubt that I'll have a chance after today --- I want to wish you ALL a Blessed Christmas - and hope that the New Year brings you the best in Good Health and Happiness. We sure do have the blessings to count!
CFG

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campfir Girl - Just went to the mailbox. Guess what I found?
Thank You Very Much!!!!!
The Christmas card you and B sent will be thought of at least for the next year or two due to all the sparkles that cling to everything. Ha!
It is good people like you that stifle some of the cynical thoughts that can creep up on some of us old farts now and again. Your thoughtfulness, not just towards myself, is appreciated by the many who know you.
Thanks again, and a Special Merry Christmas to you two.

12468_laing

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey group, i have a question. when i was at mass over the weekend with my son from the naval academy, he was asking me many questions. their chapel there is very old and beautiful, patterned like the churches of old - ours here is a newer one - church in the round. he was asking me why people here don't genuflect before they go into a pew, why some people don't touch their chests when the bread and wine are consecrated, etc. got me to wonder. i know the nuns taught us much of that and when to do it. looking back, what do you not do anymore? seems i am the only one in my church who nods his head when Jesus' name is mentioned, and the only one to touch my heart during the consecration. just something to throw out there. and, i would like to extend a very safe and merry christmas to all my new sjs friends - may you all find God's blessings during this holiday and hold the birth of our Lord very tight in your hearts.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Laing -
I have some short answers for you - since the Vatican II changes, many churches advocated less reverence and more "community" interaction - so Jesus - (as I bow my head) and the reverence for God got lost. In most churches the tabernacles were removed from the altars and hidden. At least at St. Jude, it currently resides in the Eucharistic Chapel. I find that, at least at St. Jude, the younger people are more reverent than the older ones. I find that the elderly use the church as a social hall and to find a quiet place to say some prayers before Mass is rather difficult. The "round" churches added to the distraction since the Tabernacle used to be the "center" of our attention. Technically the "Altar" holds the same stature and consequently, the bow or genuflect before entering the pew is appropriate. We also had to add the Holy Water fonts back to the entrances of the church as those were removed during the "renovation". We're coming back to a more reverent experience at Mass - and one that is bringing more folks back to St. Jude.

Eastburn

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas to you, too, CFG. And to all of you.

This thread has come to mean a lot to me. I feel like I've made a number of new friends with a shared experience & shared values.

God bless you all.

12468_laing

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cfg, i agree concerning the placement of the tabernacles - in our "old church" it was in a chapel where some people didn't even know about. now, the tabnernacle is behind a wood door in the wall behind the ambo and priest chairs, so some people have gotten used to not genuflecting when entering. as for holy water fonts, we use our baptismal font which is just through the doors for that.

Zitro

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas to all.

Amazing how this thread has allowed us to spread all over the country and come together on a regular basis through a couple of clicks. It used to take months of preparation to organize reunions and then it was for fleeting moments and for same class years.

12468_laing

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ditto zitro
tis a day of slacking - most people are out shopping spreading the wealth. oops, sorry bout that.

Jcole

Post Number: 5222
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas, fellow Judians.
Z, I know what you mean. It's a reunion every day.
Laing, no shopping here today. It's snowing yet again.
Everyone be careful out there

Zitro

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anybody creepier than the Shamwow guy??

12468_laing

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

temps are 39 here - supposed to rain and be 60 on christmas - bah humbug, would rather take some snow. who has heard about the water main break up in md? can you imagine all that freezing? by the way, just got my tickets for the red wings/preds game on the 26th.

Zitro

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched some of those rescue scenes live they were pretty riveting.