Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Place to take my Christmas tree? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the city and it is not an option to put my tree on the curb for pick up like it is some places. Can anyone advise on tree disposal in the city? I would love to take it somewhere where they mulch it or something like that.

Thanks!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From last year, but likely still applies:

Eight of the Oakland County Parks and Recreation locations will accept trees daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Jan. 13, while two more -- Independence Oaks near Clarkston and Orion Oaks in Orion Township-- will accept them through Jan. 27.

The other sites are: Addison Oaks near Oxford; Glen Oaks Golf Course in Farmington Hills; Groveland Oaks near Holly; Lyon Oaks in Lyon Township; Red Oaks Golf Course in Madison Heights; Springfield Oaks Activity Center in Davisburg; Waterford Oaks Activity Center in Waterford; and White Lake Oaks Golf Course near Pontiac.

There is no fee to drop off trees, but large quantities from commercial lots won't be accepted, according to a press release from Oakland County Parks. Plastic, tinsel and wire must be removed. Wood chips will be available free to the public at Orion Oaks on select dates in 2008, the release said.

http://www.holidayleds.com/art icles/metro_detroit_communitie s_encourage_christmas_tree_and _christmas_light_recycling

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to a bonfire in northern Macomb County on Saturday. If you can't find a place to recycle your tree, we'll be happy to add it to our burn pile. :-)
Dried out evergreen trees make good fire starters, and the snap\crackle\pop of the burning needles sounds cool.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 892
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you have garbage pick up, then you should be able to leave your tree by the curb. the city is operating their yard waste truck in conjunction with regular pick up every week in january.

if not, you can drop your tree off at any bulk drop-off location in the city. free for residents. check the city's website for specific locations.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor, you mean the one in Richmond?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 678
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit -> Yes,the annual fire in Richmond

bonfire

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3333
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say we dump them all on the National Mall in Washington and flick a cigarette behind us. :-)

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day, weren't christmas trees collected and piled up on Belle Isle, then lit?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.