Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through December 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2990
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These pics are priceless, thanks vets for my freedom.

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Candyman...
What month are you and Penny having your 40th ???

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Margie, We will be 40 on 07/29/2009 on Pennys' birthday.
Det313grrl, Thanks for the salute to the veterans. I was in the 8th Infantry Division, 12th Engineer Battalion for two and a half years in Germany (1961-1964) protecting the Berlin wall from the Russians. When my tour of duty was up, I was coming back to N.Y.on the third ship of a convoy. The first two were diverted to Viet Nam to fill a quota, mine kept going to discharge me in the good old USA. My older brother Ralph was a machine repairman on a Sub tender in the Pacific. He is still living in California.
Old guy, Did my Home Boy Freak you out? He is really very gentle, but, don't mess with the kid. Come on back:^)
Sug, did you get tangled up in the Christmas Lights? Come on back.:^)
We are enjoying a white Christmas in Colorado.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie.....just look at him. He's a natural!

Candy_man

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt, you jogged a memory. When Gus and I were in California back in the day. We heard that you could order a Chinese junk loaded with Opium for $10,000 delivered to S.F. We made plans to leave the dope in China town and sail the seven seas as pirates,but, the dream died before it materialized. The closest that I got was a Hobie Cat on the lake in Michigan. I didn't know how to sail her until a french kid came to stay with us. He had sailed them from St. Tropez on the Riviera over to Italy. He had us flying across the lake in no time. What kind of vessel do you live on, did you say houseboat?There was a house boat built in Holland,MI that had a Volvo engine in it that you could drive down the road to your launch site.:^) Penny and I had looked into living on a house boat in Sausalito, but, then she realized she gets seasick. Me and the boys had gone out whale watching in Half Moon Bay, but all we saw was bottlenose Dolphins and got really sleepy not sick.:^)

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Candy Man, are you sure about Home Boy? Looks exactly like a bear I boxed up in Hurley back in 93 named Bongo. I took him in the 23rd. round with a KO.

Old_guy

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well.... son of a Sug, & a micro old guy. By the way, micro old guy grew up not looking like a potato.

mjs.gif

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Candyman....if you were in a Hobie Cat on Lake Michigan, my guess is you guys were haulin' ass keeled up on one hull, strapped in and leaned out for balance. Now that's a rush!!

Right now I'm a landlubber. Getting some medical issues addressed at the West Los Angeles VA Medical Center in Westwood/Brentwood about 5 min from the UCLA campus where all those cute little Bruin co-eds flit around in the California sunshine. Home Boy would be a phenomenal ice breaker; do you ever loan him out. OG could be his chaparone.

I don't live on a house boat; just a regular old sailboat. A 28' sloop has plenty room for liveaboard and is easy to sail single handed. Get in lots of salt water fishing too. Don't understand Penny's dilema with sea sickness. Generally houseboats aren't ocean going but if you're moored up somewhere exposed to the weather and not tucked in some nice little harbor (i.e. King Harbor, Redondo Beach), then you can get rocked pretty good. Up where you guys were the water can be REAL rough. I prefer to stay south.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

precious

Candy_man

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Old guy, Home boy could be his alias. That photo was taken after he had eaten most of the chickens, gone off and took a nap then came back to finish the rest. We had just met him at that time so he may of had something to hide from the past. I'll go and ask him if he remembers takin' a whoopin' from you. He has been upfront with me so far, so I don't think that he will try to give me any B.S. Stnfrt, actually it was on Sears lake outside of Milford, but, we did have a full gale wind and it was one of the hairiest rides that I have experienced. I think that may have been why we were all at the Garwood. With his love for racing on the river. We could feel that with the vibes in the house and keep trying to Squeeze the Gusto out of life. Sorry to hear that you're in with the Medics, You can borrow Home boy any time you need him.

Old_guy

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only 168 days till the big weekend.

gr.gif

Old_guy

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, maybe a more current version.

cv.gif

Candy_man

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old guy, watch out. If we are being monitored by aliens, they may come and take us freaks for a ride.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have followed this thread for some time now. Fascinating! Never a part of the Garwood scene, but did attend one party/barbecue there. I even recognize a couple of contributors from pics. Probably from the music scene. I was a Cass Corridor person, 1967 through mid 1971.
Are lurkers like me invited to the reuinion?
Peace to all..

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell that guy to turn around; he's too far west. That reminds me of the time I thought I'd surprise Gleeman at the cabin on Torch Lake so I proceeded to hitchike up there from Ann Arbor. Got all the way up there only to have his dad tell me, with a bewildered/confused look, that he had left for San Francisco two days ago. Oh shit! The psylociban was really coming on and it was late afternoon and when his dad dropped me off on the interstate I was flying. Started hitching back to A2 (I thought) but discovered at one point that I was coming up on the Canadian border. Oh shit....again! Crossed the interstate, started hitching in the other direction and found myself outside of Jackson at 3am. Dead tired and crashing; a big black limo pulls over and I climbed in. It was three of Ted Nugent's roadies coming back from some gig! gave me a ride all the way to A2.

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobl...no problem here. Contact Ruth Hoffman at ruthhoff@ucic.edu. Hey Ruth...if you're married, how come you've still got the same name?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww, come on, you didn't marry yourself, did you. Actually..................?

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just as stubborn as ever I guess.

Old_guy

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Candy Man, a rides a ride. Might make for a good story at the reunion.

I do remember one night though, I was standing next to the road up by Pt. Reyes, in the middle of the night looking at the ocean and a bit gone on acid. I'm not sure why I was there. But I remember watching the headlights of a car coming down Hwy. 1 for about ten minutes. The car finally pulled up right next to me and stopped. It was like a 48 Plymouth or something. The back window rolled down and I walked over and looked in. It seems like there were about twenty people in the car. Some guy asked me if I wanted to buy some acid, and I said, no, I was good. Then somebody else asked me if I wanted a ride, and I said no, I was OK. So they drove off and I watched them head down the highway for about five miles till they were out of sight. I always kind of wondered if they were aliens. I wonder what I was doing there now that I think about it. I remember it was a nice night though.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2987
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" So they drove off and I watched them head down the highway for about five miles till they were out of sight. I always kind of wondered if they were aliens. I wonder what I was doing there now that I think about it. I remember it was a nice night though."

quote:

"another Jack Handy thought"

Where is the Royal Oak/ Bay City/ San Jose thread from the same time ? Any help ?

Merry Thanksgivoween to all, and a Happy New year.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all,

Margie

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone and OG...
Those last two stories had me rollin...
Love it
Hey Ruthie Girl...Hey Sharon
Waaazzzzzzzzzz up

Margie

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK...What the heck..Whoever wants a ride to the Reunion, I'll come and get ya
I've got plenty of root beer and grilled cheese

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snow Summit Ski Resort; Big Bear, CA. This ain't for me but some people love this snow thing. Live web cam..6:30 p.m. PST.
fireplace, toddies?

Margie

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!
It is a great spot, where is Big Bear ?

Stnfrnt

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie....just google Big Bear for info. It's mostly known as a winter ski resort but there's some great trout/bass fishing on Big Bear Lake and the mountain streams up there the rest of the year.

Candy_man

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Old guy, here's the scoop. Home boy said he knows Bongo, and was his trainer for your match, but, he wasn't sticking to schedule and was overweight and after that was chasing some girlfriends and ended up in the Bahamas. So if stnfrt takes Home boy to L.A. for awhile he can bring him to the big "D" to meet you. Cool?

Margie

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEP...THATS OUR HOOVER

BEFORE....DURING.....AND AFTER