Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5223
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, no there isn't. But, is there any kid more annoying than that one the freaks out because his dad ate the cookies for Santa? I'd have sent him to his room til he was 14 if he was my kid. It's a Pillsbury commercial, and I'd like to write to them and tell them that unless they pull this commercial, I won't buy their cookie mix anymore. Not that I buy it now, but....

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All: It's been a great experience to be connected to all of you thru time and space via this forum. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Be happy and safe and hopefully we continue this conversation well into the new year.

Jcole

Post Number: 5230
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, how about 'to infinity and beyond....'

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, yes, yes, indeed. I love you all! (sniff, sniff)

Merry Christmas to all my fellow SJ threadians. I pray you and yours will all have a blessed Christmas season, and an abundance of Christ's blessings in the new year.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: An answer to at least one of your inquires...Some churches do not have a tabernacle on the main altar. The tabernacle may be kept in an axillary chapel or "side" altar. If the eucharist is not on the main altar then genuflection is not necessary.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm headed to the airport to pick up my son who lives in NYC. Have not seen him since last Christmas. We talk two or three times a week, but it's not the same. Will be a special treat to visit with him till Jan. 4. Yahoo!

To all my friends, new and old, here on this forum, from our family to your's, a Very Merry Christmas. Hoping you get all you ask for from Santa, and may your new year be joyful through Christ's Blessings.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kellyroad, I am all for progress, but there is still something to have a tabernacle where all can see it. I think it brings a heightened awareness of reverence to the mass experience. So following with that, why was there a tabernacle also on the BVM altar while we were growing up? 2 tabernacles upstairs and also the one in the basement church - that one I understand. Hope everyone will make their destinations despite the weather, and will pray for all of you through the holidays. God Bless!

Jcole

Post Number: 5244
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got off the phone with my oldest sister, and she said the bar next to Aldo's was called Tony's before it was the Chatham Inn. Does that ring a bell with anyone? EB, do you remember it?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony's, Chatham Inn, The Star Bar, The Paper Station, Jay's (Paper Station), Dunn Inn...... Thanks to our crack team of investigative reporters the historical lineage of St. Jude's closest bar is complete or almost complete.
When was the building erected?
What was the first name of the bar?
What were the original businesses on that block between Moross and 7 Mile?

Does anyone remember Mr. Geese (sp?...son Randy in my 67 class) and the barbershop on the south side of 7 mile down the street from the cleaners?

Inquiring minds want to know on Christmas eve?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2539
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Don't recall that name but I've seen Guy's, Gordon's & Fountainview barbershops in the SJ Calendar that were on that corner area. Is it one of those placea?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was probably Guy's, with a French pronunciation, which sounds like Geese. Make sense, KR?

Jcole

Post Number: 5246
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas, all. Santa made it to Detroit, and now it's time for all good kids to be in bed.
I'm watching 'A Christmas Story' and then I'll be turning in myself.
Have a wonderful day tomorrow

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I think it was Guy's!
It was either Guy's on 7 Mile or Gem's on Lappin for a $1 buzz cut.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like starting Christmas with St. Jude barbershop trivia.

Merry Christmas All!

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR...I saw Randy Geese 2 years ago at Metro park.
This is a yearly reunion for Denby alum and all from the hood.
I think its the first Saturday in July.
Quite a good crowd and many people from out of state..[myself included]
Mark Catanzaro organizes this event.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before I forget, Happy Birthday Jesus!

I saw geese the other day...surprised me too...thought they were snowbirds.

What a great sunny white Christmas morning. No soggy foggy groggy doggy this morning. In fact, he's all cozy in his new fleece jacket Santa brought. It amazes us how our little poodle knows which presents are his even when they're not treats.

Speaking of St. Nicholas, thanks for all the neat stuff you brought!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 610
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas, Slackers!

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas Jets!

No snow in sight here today, just blue skies and 70 degrees. (Okay, I'll stop gloating now :-) ) But seriously, even after 28 Christmases here, it still doesn't quite feel right. I don't think many kids in Austin woke up today to find a toboggan under the tree. Thanks to everyone here for helping bring back some great memories!

While were talking barbershops, was anyone else subjected to being a human guinea pig at the City Barber College on Gratiot near Seymour? I think it wasn't until I got my own wheels that I went anywhere else.

Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suffered through too many bowl "cuts" at the Gratiot butcher shop.
We were regulars at the above establishment.

Jcole

Post Number: 5247
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother took me to the 'Beauty College' on Gratiot to get my hair done for 8th grade graduation. I cried all day.

Zitro

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Boxing Day to all

7andkelly

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is boxing day anyway (Diane should know this)?

Is it the day when tempers finally break, and you just start duking it out with your relatives?

Zitro

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're close 7.

Actually I believe it started In England as a ritual to show gratitide to public servants for their service with highly decorated boxes.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Geeses':
Gordon and Loraine owned the barber shop.
Barry
Randy
Debbie
Jeffrey
Danny
I grew up five houses from them.
Gordon was quite a guy. He played the drums in a band, was an electrician, cut hair... was a jack of all trades.

Zitro

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: Wasn't their name spelled Gies not Geese but pronounced Geese? This is from the 1965 Wish Egan Annual Banquet.

Jcole

Post Number: 5248
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, you're correct. It was the day that the English aristocracy packaged up food, money and gifts, and sent their servants home to their families to celebrate Christmas.

Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z...you are correct.
If Sister Robert Marie were still on patrol, there would be a price to pay for the spelling error!!!!!!

Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to locate Ray Maes [#33]old side kick of Randys to verify the spelling of Randys name.

Jcole

Post Number: 5249
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What spelling error?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 611
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Judge gives 7 year old the right to decide**
>
> ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ----------
> ----------
>
> Detroit , MI (AP) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of a Wayne
> County courtroom drama Friday when he challenged a court ruling over
> who should have custody of him.
>
> The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge
> initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody
> law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the
> highest degree possible. The boy surprised the court when he
> proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he
> adamantly refused to live with her.
>
> When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the
> boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the
> remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence
> was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the
>
> unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have
> custody of him.
>
> After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child
> welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Detroit
> Lions, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.