Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through December 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 612
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Judge gives 7 year old the right to decide**

Detroit , MI (AP) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of a Wayne County courtroom drama Friday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.

The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible. The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he
adamantly refused to live with her.

When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Detroit
Lions, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had me on the ropes with that one for a while EB. By the time I read the second post I had it figured out though

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro, Stunnelgang, Mkap:

The name is Gies not Geese (just checked the 67 class picture)

Coincidently, Danny Andrus listed on the Warrior team is pictured in facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/photo. php?pid=30065526&op=9&o=all&vi ew=all&subj=13026593213&aid=-1 &oid=13026593213&id=1199577416

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 613
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, one of these days I'll figure this thing out.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB: Great story. There isn't a story or joke that's too far fetched for our beloved Lions.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just got back from a hockey game here. got to gloat. one of the most exciting games I have been at for a while.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a good game Laing except the final outcome. Lidstroms's ankle injury hopefully is short termed.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully for your sake Laing, the Red Wings' generated sellouts will offset your otherwise pitiful attendance numbers enough to even keep the team in that city. I'm pretty sure Winnipeg, or even Hamilton, Ontario would support a team more than your measly 12 something thousand fans per game.

Ellis did overachieve in that game, though, I'll give you that.

Zitro

Post Number: 2547
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there's any solace in the Lions situation it's that the Cowgirls & Roy Williams, TO, Miss Packman et al will be watching the playoffs from the same seat.

It was painful to watch Coach Rod in the post game interview. Nice guy but he has to go.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solace:

It's over.
Next year should be better.
Next year can't be worse.
We really kicked ass in the pre-season for a change.
Not all the games were blowout losses.
There were some home games we mercifully were spared from local telecast.
A lot of these guys won't be back next year.
Millen is already gone.
The Kitna era is over.
Saved a ton of money on tickets, parking, concessions, team gear and memorabilia.
Even after all this, I know I'm still a true (Honolulu) blue Lion's fan, so no one can say I'm a fair weather fan, or that I'm just jumping on the bandwagon when things improve.
Draft day should be fun.

Zitro

Post Number: 2548
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: This post was on the "other" forum.

I remember going to Balkan Bakery with my mom and sister. It was on Mt. Elliott close to Huber. They had great cakes. I used to get one called 'Seven Sisters.' It was to die for.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, Balkan Bakery...sounds like a great way to start a day. Ever drop in on the McDonald's at Mound and McNichols? It was the first McD's in the area I can remember. I'm surprised we ever ate there since it was on the way back from Grandma's, and I don't remember leaving there hungry. "Eat 7, eat".

12468_laing

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow 7andkelly, such hate from probably such a great person. Yes, Nashville doesn't pull as many people per game as other traditional hockey cities do, and yes, our players may not be the caliber of a Detroit, Chicago, San Jose, etc. but we do support our team as best as a non-hockey town could. Before the Preds came 10 yrs ago, the best hockey you could find was minor league - we had a semi pro team who was part of the MN North Stars at the time. There was a little high school hockey, but as club sports like it is now, the interest still isn't there. And, yes, the Red Wings helped get us a sell out, 17,000+ and we were glad for that. As for Ellis, he played a good game, who was your goalie? Hopefully if the Titans come to Ford Field, we can return the kindness. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and the best for a happy and safe 2009. You, too, 7andkelly.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No hate here, Laing, just sticking up for the home team. I appreciate your continued love and support for the game, and I am struggling to strain out enough acceptance of your change of allegiance, but your boasting was a breach too far. To explain this a bit further, I'm not logging in to "NashvilleYes" or "The Tennessean" newspaper trash talking your teams. Hopefully, enough said, and your continued participation in our little group is welcome.

God's blessings upon you and your family.

12468_laing

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah, ya gotta love a transplanted detroiter. when i moved here, my allegiances were tigers, lions, pistons, wings, um, etc, but never the spartans. i remember the first time I saw the TN volunteers playing on tv, and they were all wearing their ugly orange uniforms, i knew i wanted to go back home. still hate them. when the preds and titans came here about the same year, it gave the city a good reason to root for a home team - there were so many saturn employees and transplanted detroiters, that when the wings played the preds the first year, there was more red than blue. have a friend who moved here from cinci - his thinking was that he was born in OH, but chose to move to TN, so he is making allegiances due to that. there are so many players here who do so much good for the community, with so many approachable at malls, restaurants, ya kind of feel like they are friends - am sure other cities have this same feeling. so, no one will ever replace the tigers, but the preds and titans just seem so much like ours since we were with them since the start - never missed an opener or last game for either. a little trash talking just makes rivalries stronger, nothing more.

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc...I found the location of Jim Mazzola.
He is in Brighton.
I do not have any other info yet.
Didn't anyone from the hood in your day call Jim "Muzz"?
Thats what I remember.
Did you also know Gary Trupiano?

12468_laing

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stjtunnelgang, I remember Gary Trupiano. Seems he was in my class at SJS of '71, and can't remember if he was at Denby with me.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5255
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJT, thanks for finding out where Jim is. I don't remember any of us calling him Muzz;that was probably a 'guy' thing. The girls just looked at him and sighed 'Jiiiimmm'. He was hot, what can I say?
Did Gary Trupiano live over on Manning and Kelly, across from the Chatham? I think he was friends with my friends Mary Jean Mazur and her brother, Steve.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 594
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi kids -
Sorry I've been MIA - No power at home now - for third day in a row - last call reports MAYBE 12/31! At work today, so won't have time to contribute - but in case we're without power on into the New Year -
HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!
CFG

Jcole

Post Number: 5256
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You too, CFG. I hope your power is back soon. Also hope you're staying warm and had lots of left over keilbasa from Christmas. That's still good cold, with a little horseradish and mustard on rye.

12468_laing

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hang in all of you without power. hope everyone has a prosperous 2009. glad to have met all of you this last year.

Zitro

Post Number: 2548
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Year all. I found a picture that I thought would generate some discussion. We had Wilson's for milk delivery. As long as I can remember we had this inusulated container on our front porch which I believe Wilson supplied for our milk delivery. We never used our milk chute for what it was intended other than an emergency way of getting into the house when we were locked out. What was your milk delivery company or did you not have one and did you use your milk chute for the milk?

Zitro

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found these land zoning maps too whcih show a lot of this corner of the city without homes on it yet also. Must be around 48-49'.

Jcole

Post Number: 5265
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had Borden's milk, and I only remember the milk chute being used for milk one time. It was winter and the milk was in glass bottles. The milk froze, the bottle broke and all the glass pieces slid off the frozen milk, so when we got home and went to get it out of the chute, the milk was standing by itself, in all its naked glory.
After that, if my mother was going to be away, she just left the back door unlocked and Jim, the Borden's man, would just bring the milk in, put it in the fridge and have a cup of coffee.If ma was home, they'd just sit and chat for a while. His name was Jim Jones. I'm glad he didn't deliver Kool-Aid.

Zitro

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole

Post Number: 5266
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have the part of the map with Maddelein on it? I think our house was built in '41

Zitro

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, that's the whole thing as far south as it goes.

Jcole

Post Number: 5267
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look way at the bottom of the second picture, it says 'Detroit City Limit' and Gratiot Tw...
That would fit in with your idea of when the map was created. HW was incorporated in 1951

Zitro

Post Number: 2552
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were your garbage cans on one of these? The good old sanitation engineers of today were yesterday's Garbage Men. Sometimes you would see them come back later in their personal cars to pick up some piece of junk people had thrown out.

Jcole

Post Number: 5270
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, ours were just sitting out in the alley, next to the burning can.