Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 02, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 615
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our milkman was from Sealtest. We didn't have a milk chute because our house was built long before that was a standard item. As I may have mentioned, we believe that our place was an old farm house probably built around the turn of the century. Milk was just left by the back door. No box, though, Z. Guess Sealtest was too cheap (or my Dad was if one had to buy them).

We did have a milk chute in my first after-marriage house on Riad just north of Morang. Some local miscreants used that to break in & steal my wife's good watch before I was even finished paying for it through Household Finance. Remember "Friendly Bob Adams"?

They still had a horse-drawn Twin Pines delivery wagon in my aunt's neighborhood on Courville. I even seem to remember the ice man though that may be a false memory.

No alleys on Eastburn. Garbage was picked up at the curb.

Eastburn

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of old memories, we watched "A Christmas Story" last week. Even though that was set in the late 40's, it pretty much matches my recollection of what it was like to be a kid. Come to think of it, I was a kid in the 40's. I guess I would have been Ralphie's age in '53.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool pictures and maps. I don't remember labeling our cans G and R. I do remember I got to load and light the incinerators in the basement. The new incinerator was cool because it was gas assisted. I helped my Dad install it too.

It amazes me how far we have come from the days our door locks could be opened from the milk chute, and when we even left them unlocked so the milkman could do a drop off, and pour himself some coffee. My Grandma's door lock was one of the old keyhole types that could be opened with a skeleton key.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are right, the name is spelled Gies. I should have remembered that.

R for rubish and G for garbage. They used to make two pick ups... one for each on the same day. Think about what that must have cost.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that's what those benches were for. I thought they were there for me to sit on after harvesting some fresh tomatoes and cucumbers.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definitely remember the stand with the two cans. I also remember the bin for leaf burning in the fall. One day my brother (newby teenager at the time) thought that the leaves would burn a little faster if they were stoked with a little gasoline. Fortunately he escaped with nothing more that singed eyebrows. We still talk about him having to chase down the burning bin down the alley.

As for milk, we used the milk chute well into the sixties. We too were Sealtest customers. I also remember, as the youngest, being the one hoisted through the milk chute to unlock the door after being locked out.

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary Trupiano lived on Kingsville.
He hung out with Mazzolas or Hendricks.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2554
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbelievable! If you want a good chortle you've got to read some of the wall posts.

http://www.facebook.com/photo. php?pid=30255024&id=1200987561 #/pages/The-Sham-Wow-Guy/36442 894500?ref=s

(Message edited by zitro on December 31, 2008)

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we had the can stand also. makes you wonder if the dividing of trash was a precurser of recycling - we had an incinerator, too for paper, a can for trash, and a can for rubbish. and, pop bottles were never thrown away, but turned back in. as i remember the milk shute, couldn't you also get orange juice and bread with the milk deliveries?

Zitro

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember the bread from Wilson's but I know we would get juice and butter. The juice was always so pulpy!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, what was up with all that pulp? Was it too much of a strain to remove it?

Zitro

Post Number: 2556
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one 7.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Z.

That reminds me. Anyone remember powdered milk? It tasted bad enough, but then you would get this clump that would be just awful. Bllyuck!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5273
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom's boyfriend loved that stuff. He would get the great big box and mix it with milk and water to save money. This was just a few years ago. Ewww.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before I forget, happy Feast of the Solemnity of Mary to you all, and best to you in the new year.

Jcole

Post Number: 5275
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And a joyous feast to you too.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 595
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Pre-New Year - and of course Happy Pre-Holy Day to you all, my friends - and remember - "Be Careful out there!"

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when we went on campouts with troop 420, we used had powered milk due to it being cheaper and the shelf life was longer.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

08 was great with SJ friends
Hope 09 will be just as fine

Happy New Year

Eastburn

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Year, Slackers.

I've really enjoyed getting to know all of you.

God bless.

Jcole

Post Number: 5290
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Year to all you fellow Judians. It's been so much fun getting to 'know' you all.
Here's hoping 2009 is a bit better, all things considered

7andkelly

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Years!

...2009 and beyond, of course.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Zitro

Post Number: 2558
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI I'M BILLY MAYS, AND I WANT TO WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: But wait there's more!

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 596
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - There always is!

7andkelly

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great outdoor hockey game this afternoon...and a great Detroit Red Wings home and home sweep of the blank hawks.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 597
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DVR'd both CBC and NBC. CBC did a great job - hope to see Dave Strader tomorrow on 4.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't believe ol' Zits is still alive...figured he was dumb enough to have fallen into the compactor by now. He was the valedictorian of his post S.J. GED class...led the group with a 1.2 GPA and was voted most likely to succeed...ended up as the pickup man on an Eastside trash truck hoping to be promoted to driver...a real Eastside success story.

Zitro

Post Number: 2560
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music shop that was next to Famous Pizza, I know was called Amato's but I seem to recall when I took lessons there it was another name. I want to say it was called the Treble Clef. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

(Message edited by zitro on January 02, 2009)