Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008 Wolverines Football » Archive through November 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your like a little kid who exclaims, "I told you so". You have a UM obsession like many MSU folk.
When you make the comment, "who would want to see a meaningless game like UM vs OSU" I had to chuckle. You will be glued to the TV looking for every flaw that you can point out to us and relish in our defeat. You probably know more about UM football then 99% of all Um fans.
Also you might want to do some unbiased reporting. Any mention of us picking up another 4 star D lineman yesterday. No its just the negative side.
Cant you just enjoy you own season.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ken...that's no official yet...its a rumor...

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 870
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KenP,

I don't feel like spending the money to have access to Michigan's rival site so I didn't even know there was a rumor about some DL kid. If so, good for them. All I know I get through the grapevine and I've heard a LOT more bad than good lately.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 871
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh...and as far as the UM vs OSU game, I won't be watching it. I'll be in the garage working on my car instead.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more I read about RichRod I am now starting to wonder if he will win in the Big Ten.

First question is why are so many players leaving the program or ones that committed are now opening up their recruitment. As a result of this will he have to recruit the likes of a Pacman or Chris Henry.

Can a pure run base spread option win in the big ten?
I know NW won with it when the system first came out but in some respects the defenses have caught up to it.

It seems that if you're going to run this system you better have a bigger athletic QB or it won't work and your QB will stay hurt. Think Oregon last year with Dixon.

Note: there are big differences in spread offenses ex Florida runs a more pass oriented version

Why did RichRod tell the fans a lie that he would adjust his system to the talent he had. It seems like he didn't and really didn't try.

He also doesn't really understand the OSU-UM game another indication that he doesn't understand or doesn't appreciate or most likely just hanging around AA long enough to get a winning record then off to his next job.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Moses...the Ohio State University rhetoric is relentless down here in Kettering, Ohio.

Can't we send in the Rip-Snorting Broncos of Western Michigan University; at least it would be a GAME - for crying out loud

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7967
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help the Spartans get to the Rose Bowl Wolverines. We counting on you.

"S" Go GREEN

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny...Yes!
GO GREEN...GO WHITE - GO SPARTANS - FIGHT, FIGHT !!

On other fronts......

To Moses, to Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Vishnu - to Gods of Ancient Rome and Greece - I Pray for a WMU victory over Ball State - and - a WIN for Eastern Michigan over CMU.

Furthermore, I fully realize that the aforementioned Gods have much larger issues on their respective plate.....I'm Just Sayin' - that's all.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Danny, Michigan is awful. They will lose in a laugher...

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed Richie said OSU is just another game...John Cooper said the same thing about Michigan. Oh well

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5490
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Few Michigan fans could have "expected" to win today, but few could have expected to have been humiliated.

Few [although I was among those few] expected to have notable success this season, but even fewer expected to see the worst season (two losses worse than the previous worst) in 129 years of football. They also achieved the dubious distinction of losing five straight times to Ohio State for the first time ever.

When you're a three win team and you're down by one or two TDs against Ohio State, and it's 4th and 7 on their 40 yardline, and your team is still playing with fire and emotion and feels like they still have a chance, you should probably go for it. When it's third and long and you're down by two touchdowns, you probably shouldn't tell your quarterback to run directly into one of the best linebacking corps ever.

Michigan only had a chance because their defensive line was a truly elite group that played hard for as long as they could keep their energy. Outside of them, this was the worst team in school history, in a very real sense, owing in large part to the way they were coached and directed.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get used to it, Michigan. Next year's team, at least on paper, will be significantly worse.

Imagine only one or two wins, or even a winless Big Ten. Could it happen? They were pretty lucky to win that Wisconsin game this year, so it's far from unlikely.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3886
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, I sure am glad the mucky-wucks at UM courted and signed that new coach, old whats-his-name.....

People in academia are so smart. Gee.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5491
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, smug much?

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A real fan!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 872
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mackinaw,

a Michigan fan accusing a fan of another team smug is the ultimate example of the pot and the kettle.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Get used to it, Michigan. Next year's team, at least on paper, will be significantly worse.

This is a really stupid comment. I hope I don't need to say why.

Glowblue

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, for those of you who are convinced that Michigan was loaded with talent this season, 30 out of the 70 players who dressed for today's game were either freshmen or walk-ons.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 874
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GlowBLow,

Keep living in your strange dream where Michigan was suddenly some undertalented team when Michigan's recruiting classes have been among the best in the nation for years (their average ranking is 9th in the country over the past 5 years). RichRod left a lot of VERY talented players to rot this year in favor of "his guys". Watch the exodus occur now that the season is over.

Let's be honest here, you are going to lose A LOT of a defense that was actually very good but was made to look bad because they spent all year on the field due to the anemic offense. That defensive line was VERY good. Brandon Graham is not going to stick around so Michigan will have to replace its ENTIRE defensive line. Write this down, Michigan will STRUGGLE to stop the run next year and likely lose to any power rushing team they come up against (MSU, PSU, OSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, possibly even Notre Dame) because they will be unable to get their defense off the field.

It will be another long year for Michigan in 2009.

Glowblue

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

GlowBLow,

Oho, what a clever retort! You should take that act on the road!

quote:

Keep living in your strange dream where Michigan was suddenly some undertalented team when Michigan's recruiting classes have been among the best in the nation for years (their average ranking is 9th in the country over the past 5 years). RichRod left a lot of VERY talented players to rot this year in favor of "his guys". Watch the exodus occur now that the season is over.

Which clever players has Rodriguez "left to rot"? Let's hear some names. Don't name transfers, either, because you have no idea why they transferred, even if you pretend that you do.

quote:

Let's be honest here, you are going to lose A LOT of a defense that was actually very good but was made to look bad because they spent all year on the field due to the anemic offense. That defensive line was VERY good. Brandon Graham is not going to stick around so Michigan will have to replace its ENTIRE defensive line. Write this down, Michigan will STRUGGLE to stop the run next year and likely lose to any power rushing team they come up against (MSU, PSU, OSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, possibly even Notre Dame) because they will be unable to get their defense off the field.

I think there's a good chance that Graham stays for his senior year. Most draft gurus are saying he's a late second-round/early third rounder if he enters the draft next year. He'll improve his draft stock mightily if he stays for another year.

As for the rest of the line, it sucks that they're leaving, but we have good young guys coming up at those positions (Martin, Van Bergen, Sagesse, etc), and we have a good class of D-linemen coming in 09 (could be a great class if Will Campbell recommits, as is expected). The rest of our losses on defense won't hurt us much, if at all, and of course we'll be returning all our offensive starters.

quote:

It will be another long year for Michigan in 2009.

It'll be a longer year for a Ringer-less MSU.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 875
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey whatever pipe dreams keep you happy during you cold, bowl-free winter. I'll be sure to think of it when I'm in Florida on new year's day.

If Graham is so for sure staying, why are there articles written today about him leaving? Matt Ryan of the Ann Arbor News wrote a story about it today.

As far as your D line recruiting class, here's a few things.

1. Campbell's going to USC or Alabama. Sam Webb, the guy who pretends to be a recruiting journalist but really acts as an unofficial recruiter for the university of Michigan, is the only one who's convinced Campbell is still a Michigan lock.

2. Apparently LaLota is taking a second look at Penn State. I'm sure Penn State's Rose Bowl season compared to Michigan's Toilet Bowl season could be very convincing.

3. Even if you lose them, you are correct, you will have a solid group of defensive linemen coming in.

As far as the group of freshmen this year, Max Martin is a good player, Van Bergen is a guy who looked good in high school because he dominated VERY mediocre competition. Then when he committed to Michigan he got bumped up a star. Sagesse is a product of Quebec. Players from there tend to be hit or miss. To be honest, the only one of the three that impresses me at all is Martin

Now, as far as MSU without Javon Ringer. We will be more than fine. Glenn WInston, Andre Anderson, Edwin Baker and Larry Caper will tote the rock for MSU next year and they are all very talented. Either Kirk Cousins and Keith Nichol will bring a bit of athleticism to the QB position that Hoyer lacks. As far as the receivers go, the young receiver corps will be one year older and more experienced.

Face facts, I predict another beat down of Big Blue, this time it will be in East Lansing.

To conclude, I declare that this thread should join the 2008 wolverines' season in that it is over.

THE END

Glowblue

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now, as far as MSU without Javon Ringer. We will be more than fine. Glenn WInston, Andre Anderson, Edwin Baker and Larry Caper will tote the rock for MSU next year and they are all very talented. Either Kirk Cousins and Keith Nichol will bring a bit of athleticism to the QB position that Hoyer lacks. As far as the receivers go, the young receiver corps will be one year older and more experienced.

You could say the exact same things about Michigan going into next year. The only difference is, we'll be returning our best running back.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glowblue when you get a chance read up a little on Paul Johnson the GT coach who came from Navy. A system coach who didn't have the players or the QB in the beginning to run his system. Only 3 losses this season. And he got that by playing a boatload of freshmen.

Before folks start making excuses for RichRod ,think Coach Johnson, similar situation, vastly different results.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7971
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverines SUCK!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 877
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, GlowBlue, the QB situations are VERY different.

Michigan will be breaking in two true freshman QBs who have never played a down of college football.

Michigan State will either be starting a guy who's in his 3rd year at MSU and has taken live snaps against both Ohio State and Penn State (Cousins) or a VERY talented player in his 3rd year who's only "blackmark" against him is that he transferred from Oklahoma because he couldn't beat out the guy who is going to win the heisman this year, Sam Bradford (Nichol).

BIG difference between true freshmen trying to learn the offense under fire and 3rd year sophomores who know the offense and even have a bit of game experience.

Glowblue

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

3rd year sophomores who know the offense and even have a bit of game experience.

Like Steven Threet?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 878
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steven Threet?!

Are you kidding me? Steven Threet was a redshirt FRESHMAN this year (meaning one less year of experience). He transferred partway through last season. With Henne and Mallet getting reps ahead of him, Threet likely was a scout team QB at best.

The reality of backups is that during the tight schedule of the regular season, the coaches don't have a lot of time for player development. Backups get attention during spring camp, fall camp, and bowl practice. Threet only got bowl practice last December and spring camp this past March and April to develop prior to becoming a starter.

If Cousins becomes the starter, he will have had fall camp in 2007, 2008, and 2009, spring camp in 2008 and 2009, bowl practices in 2007 and 2008, and getting reps as the backup QB in 2008. He will KNOW the offense by then. He will have had more years working in the offense than Hoyer ever did.

If Nichol gets the starting position, he will have had one round of bowl practice with MSU in 2008, 2008 and 2009 fall camp, and 2009 spring camp. He will have also had 2007 spring camp (he enrolled early) and 2008 spring camp, 2007 fall camp, and 2007 bowl practice with Oklahoma.

Whichever QB wins the job, they will have had much more overall experience in college and more experience in their offense before taking over as the starter than Steven Threet did. It's not an equal comparison.

Glowblue

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^He'll be a redshirt sophomore next season, which is what I meant. Just like the Sparty QBs, only they'll have far less game experience under their belts than Threet.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 879
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glowblue,

Steven Threet won't see the field next season. The two freshmen QBs coming in will be playing. Remember they are going to be the "saviors" who will be able to run the offense the way it is supposed to be run? At least that is the hype we are hearing. If it turns out that Steven Threet beats them out as the starter, then Michigan is in bigger trouble than we thought. Those two incoming freshmen are the only hope for Michigan improving on their anemic season.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add another player to the list of the ex-wolverines. Defensive Back Artis Chambers made it official that he has left the team.

Some may scoff at this and some of the other departures because these guys aren't starters and may have only seen action in special teams, but that doesn't mean they are not important. Depth is a vital issue in a game where injuries happen as frequently as football. Every team needs veteran guys who can come in and play if the starters go down. These are also the players who run on the scout team every week in practice. The better the scout team is, the more prepared the starting players will be to achieve success against the real thing on Saturdays.

Attrition devastated John L. Smith's MSU teams. Michigan must be careful not to repeat the mistakes that happened in East Lansing during those years.

So far, I can think of 4 players who have already left since fall camp in August. Babb, Kates, Taylor Hill, and now Chambers. Let's see who else goes.