Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 05, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2566
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take mine medium rare please.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5348
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB, as Z said, we went to school with his brother, RJ. I don't remember Tom real well, as I think he was married by the time RJ and I started hanging out together.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ddavid: You must have known Jim Badowski and Billy Couglin very well if you only lived 3 doors down from JC.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haas! What a great place. I remember dining there with my dad. Wasn't it just across from City Airport?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 619
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, right in that area of Gratiot.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the name of the restaurant on the south east corner of Gratiot and Outer Drive? I recall that it had some glass block decor in the front?

Zitro

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Trying to get a bearing on that corner to figure out that restaurant. St. Davids is basically on that corner correct?

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haas had the best roast beef on our side of town. does anyone remember a place called schultheis' bar? think it may have been on east warren by gratiot. had one of those scrolled tin ceilings inside and had great corned beef. was run by an old lady who I think had the last name of schultheis. on another front, did anyone catch matt millen on tv yesterday doing color for the nfl? he was interviewed first and had quite a number of "come to jesus" questions.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: St. David high school was just east of it.

Jcole

Post Number: 5366
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like it's a Rite-aid now. Is that motel across the street from it the one that EB 'borrowed' the sombrero from, or was that up on 8 Mile?

Ddavid
Username: Ddavid

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR, i did not know jim badowski, but i knew the couglin family name. they were a bit older than me.

Ddavid

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sombrero was from motel on 8 mile

Jcole

Post Number: 5371
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DDavid, I think you knew Steve Badowski, Jim's younger brother. You and he were at several of my early birthday parties at the same time. They lived two houses off Boulder on the other side of the street
The Coughlin's lived directly across the street from me,next to Hulda Bart.
BTW do you remember Mike McCoy, down next to the Bradley's?

Ddavid

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, i do remember the McCoy's . My mother was over for dinner last night, and she was the one that remembered the Coughlin's. She said they lived in the Mazzolas house.
I still don't know Steve Badowski.Where did they live?

Jcole

Post Number: 5372
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They lived two houses off Boulder on the other side of the street
Here's a picture.Steve is next to Kevin

Jcole

Post Number: 5373
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that Mike McCoy next to Dan?

Ddavid

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know.

Ddavid

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that old picture. I have my parents old 8 MM movies, and there is a film of maybe a Christmas party in your basement. I am going to dig it out and see who i can recognize.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 620
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just took that sombrero for safe keeping. To prevent some miscreants from appropriating such an attractive collectible.

Unfortunately, it was dropped & broken by some drunk.

And yes, D, it was from the Americana on 8 Mile.

Jcole

Post Number: 5375
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can send you a better copy and a couple others if you want to send me your email address. You can send it to
jmarkow11 (at sign)gmail (dot) com

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ddavid, when you find those 8MMs, it's a hop skip and a jump to digitizing them. The party at J's and anything at St. Jude's or the eastside would be a great addition to our historical repository on FB.

Zitro

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: Can't say I recall that bar. As far as Millen goes-HE SUCKS!! The End!

12468_laing

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

z, don't know if i have the roads right for that plcce - my dad used to go there with the fruehauf crew for lunch. i am hoping with the crop of available coach talent, the lions will get the best one. they deserve it.

Zitro

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It kind of rings a bell but I can't place anything in that area. I'll check my matchbooks at some point and see if I can find anything

Jcole

Post Number: 5394
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the intersection near St. Anthony's parish. My brother in law went to grade school there. Was the bar close to that?

(Message edited by jcole on January 05, 2009)

12468_laing

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jcole, for the life of me, i just can't remember. sorry.

Ddavid

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC, went down to Mexican town yesterday afternoon,and on the way back,we drove by the old street. Somebody was working on your old house. They had the plywood off the bay window, and looks like a few people were in the front room.

Did you know the Hanson family? they live in that cinder block house next to Mrs Krople. They still live there.

Jcole

Post Number: 5395
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, thanks for the update on the house. I had seen it with the boards up, and was pretty upset.
I had heard that the Hansen's still lived there. Is Mr. H still alive?

Ddavid

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw both of them there this past summer,getting into there car.

Jcole

Post Number: 5396
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old must they be now? They seemed old to me back then.