Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 06, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ddavid
Username: Ddavid

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they have got to me in there late 80's or early 90's. i can't believe they stayed there all those years.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i see cardinal maida is retiring and a home-grown man will be the next archbishop. i like that. our present bishop in nashville was actually baptised in the cathedral here. question, i can't remember who was between dearden and maida. any help?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 621
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cardinal Szoka. Edmund.

12468_laing

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks. all i could remember was when Pope John Paul II came to Detroit, the bishop was Polish as well.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Pope John Paul II came to Detroit, we were all Polish.

What a great day that was. My parents received Communion from the Pope at the Silverdome Mass.

12468_laing

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mother sent me the insert from the detroit news showing all the pictures. i remember she told me she felt so holy having him "there with her" in the same city. 7andkelly, that is truly a memory to hold onto. my wife and i got a papal blessing when we went to rome for our 25th this last may. we were in st peter's square and He came to his window at noon on Sunday. There had to be at least 2500 there, but we felt like we were the only ones there. How can you get the feeling across to a non-Catholic about what it really means? So special.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember gong to the Silverdome with a bus load from St. Jude. When he pulled into the Silverdome in the Popemobile - the feeling was undescribable. I still have a picture of him on my desk here at work as he's giving us a blessing - I will post on St. Jude website. I have several Holy Cards with pieces of his papal garment - when I contributed to the cause for his cannonization. I sure hope that happens soon!
http://www.diocesidiroma.it/Be atificazione/

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 599
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just posted some Christmas St. Jude pics - they're dark, but the best I could do, even with a flash and the lights on.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting those pics CFG.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5415
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they still have a Nativity scene outside at St. Jude, or would that be asking for theft?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 600
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, we do have the Nativity scene in front of the church. I should have taken a picture of that too - sorry. The ushers put it up the same day we decorated the church. It looks great!

Jcole

Post Number: 5418
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get it next year, CFG.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still may be able to get it this weekend - I think "de" decorating is on Sunday.

Jcole

Post Number: 5420
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. That was one of my favorite Christmas memories growing up. Walking up to the Nativity on Christmas Eve.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 602
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just added the St. Jude Golden Jubilee Booklet to the SJS website. Pages came in out of order - but you'll get the drift.

12468_laing

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as i remember as a kid, the nativity scene outside the gym was much larger than the one they had when I moved away in '82 - the wood on the "original" was much darker and the whole thing was almost life size. anyone else remember this?

Jcole

Post Number: 5423
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, the Nativity that I remember was close to life size, but I moved away in 73, so I don't know what was there later. Also, 'life-size' when I was a kid was considerably smaller than now.

Zitro

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just went over post #8000!!!!!

12468_laing

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey z, were you able to look through your matchbooks for the schulthesis bar? i know that spelling is wrong, but it is close. The old lady who owned it had to have been close to 80, the place looked like a speakeasy, and I don't even think they had a sign on the outside. They could have, but it was small if anything.

Zitro

Post Number: 2573
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not yet, but I'll get to it. I haven't forgotten. It has me inquisitive now because it's sounding more familiar.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8000...that's a lot of yakking and a lot of slacking.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing the Nativity figures are about 3-4' high. I usually go in the back, so it'll be nice to see the Nativity up close before they take it down.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 604
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got that right 7K - but all for the betterment of mankind and spreading the wonderful news of St. Jude.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above picture was taken in 1965. The child was around 7 years old at the time. That St. Jude nativity scene was there during the late 50s, 60s and into the 70s. I'm not sure about any life size statues that were there before or after.

Zitro

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that child had some plastic surgery to correct that problem.

Jcole

Post Number: 5425
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if aliens had landed and were trying to figure out what the significance of the statues in the box were.

Zitro

Post Number: 2576
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: I e-mailed an old friend of mine who lived on Outer Drive just a few houses off of Gratiot and asked him about that restaurant. I let you know what he comes back with.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought he just put his hat on backwards - a Mom in the background "No, Honey, cover your hair, not your face"

Zitro

Post Number: 2577
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He just wrote back and said there was Haas, a funeral home, a Duncan Donuts across the street and an NBD bank on that corner.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: Thanks. I've must have passed that restaurant a million times. It seemed like a classy place from the outside at least. What is surprising is the lack of match book confirmation *_*.

Poll question for everyone: This may seem frivolous but give it a go. How did you get to Gratiot when traveling toward downtown? For our family it was almost always Kelly to Hayes to Outer Drive and an easy left hand turn on to south bound Gratiot. For those of you north of 7 and/or closer to Hayes perhaps another route was taken. That Outer Drive route always seemed the easiest and most scenic.