Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Garwood Mansion » Garwood Archives » Archive through January 07, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you all have inspired me - yesterday for the first time since the GarWood days, I actually played a pipe organ! Quite a thrill. I snivelled and whined my way into the music hall here on campus and got a key for the organ. I've been given the go ahead to practice whenever I want to.

Just wanted to share my joy!

Stillrockin
Username: Stillrockin

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is Dave Livermore.

Margie
Username: Margie

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See....Thats what happens to us when we try to post at 4:42 in the mornin !

MySpace.com - The Christian Rock Coalition - 42 - Male...
TRY AGAIN NEIL ......... MySpace profile for The Christian Rock Coalition with pictures, videos, personal blog, interests, information about me and more.
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm? fuseaction=user.viewprofile...

Margie

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RUTHIE THAT IS AWESOME !!!!
You have inspired Me !!!!!!! xoxoxoxox

Margie

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OG...I found out what happened to some of those bottles !

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya Gash - at least bring a CD .. (and the VG) .. careful about th MJ..but pls b PDQ...

CMan...amen

Stn, u should b writing a column for say, R Stone mag... + they should get a heads up about this event or blog...

hi Margie

Ru...make a CD w/ th P.O.

Gleeman
Username: Gleeman

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ru... how 'bout a recording of "Thing in G" with pipe organ and acoustic guitar - I'll drive down...
..thinking of that N.Young tune.. "Hurricane" which I know, (with the pump organ init ?)...we could do that too..

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8951
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman,

We can do that at the theater on Michigan Avenue near Livernois already set up for proper recording of organwork!

Ruth,

How long have you been on this campus?! How very cool that you now have access to those resonators! (and what a curious mobius to our story)

Cheers!

Margie

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil...Check this out, Listen to Brian Welch and tell me what you think.
Mornin Gary...I would love to hear your opinion about this also.
iamsecond.com

Margie

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Entertainment Weekly

(Entertainment Weekly) -- Ron Asheton, the guitarist for the influential punk rock band The Stooges, was found dead this morning, police tell the Detroit Free Press.
Ron Asheton helped form The Stooges in 1967 with his brother Scott and Iggy Pop.

Ron Asheton helped form The Stooges in 1967 with his brother Scott and Iggy Pop.

The 60-year-old's deceased body was found in his Ann Arbor, Michigan, home after a caller phoned police saying they hadn't heard from him in a few days. Authorities are investigating the cause of death, but foul play is not suspected.

The Stooges were founded in 1967 in Ann Arbor by Iggy Pop, Asheton, and his brother, Scott Asheton. Though never a major commerical success, the band has been cited by artists like Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth and Jack White of the White Stripes as a major influence.

The group's albums included a self-titled debut, which was released in 1969, and 1970's "Fun House." Among the group's songs are "I Wanna Be Your Dog," "1969" and "Raw Power."
Don't Miss

* EW: Ron Asheton wanted to play forever

The Stooges are nominated for induction in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with inductees set to be announced later this month. They reunited for a series of shows in 2003, and released a new record, "The Weirdness," in 2007.

Margie

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops...OG I just realized you already told us that news !

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Mornin' Ya'll. Margie, give me some time, you have given me a big assignment. Like I said i'm computer slow. I'll get back for sure. Going to see "Seven Pounds". Awesome Ruth, keep it up. I played that song "Hurricane" by Neil Young on our old pump organ for my sons Gleeman.
Thank You Stnfrt and Old guy for the Twain. I think his real name was Samuel Clemens? I think his pen name Mark Twain was taken from a nautical term to measure rope on the riverboats.Right,Stnfrt? He was the real deal!

Candy_man
Username: Candy_man

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rona, where are you? Penny said that she is waiting to hear from ya.

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie.....not to shabby......check out a guy named "Adam Cunningham".....he has been to the church I go to and I've had the pleasure of playing with him....He also played at our "Fall Festival".....song "You are my God".....My band plays the hell out of this one.....Adam lives just down the road from me and is being booked out of Birmingham Ala.....his stuff is the type of material we are into.....happy listening and of course......go do gooe things

Gashl1
Username: Gashl1

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stnfrnt.....Just heard that "Roscoe P. Coltrane and Enus have been brought in....really sad....Boss Hogg is major suspect....Political corruption....when will it end

Stillrockin

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bush mark high 82 and sunny what a great day to be alive in South Florida.

Bentspur
Username: Bentspur

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this pic of Dancing Dan. I'm the other guy with the hat.

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the rivers of America, 1 twain=6ft. Paddlewheelers had a guy on the bow dropping a length of rope over the side (weighted) down to the bottom. The line was marked every 6ft. (usually a knot) and this is how they determined the water depth. Mark 4 twain=24ft. They had to do this because nobody knew how to turn the sonar/depth-finder on.

Ruth....get on it, lady!!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3169
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one, Stnfrnt.

Old_guy
Username: Old_guy

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fat Boy

GA.gif

Usadvisor101
Username: Usadvisor101

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not seen any comments about the stooges and gar wood,perhaps i missed it.............did they ever hang at the GW parties?

given the passing of Ron Asheton, perhaps someone can tell us if he ever hanged there??

just love reading this great and wildazz history !!

ron asheton

Stnfrnt
Username: Stnfrnt

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stlrkn...did any Stooges grace the Garwood? Check your archives. Sad, sad, sad--Ron.

Stillrockin

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any Vegetarians in this group, other than myself? Just curious.

Margie

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gash...Do you mean the Loop ?

Margie

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Shar...
I try to stay with it but now that I shop at Trader Joes alot they have some awesome grilled chicken.
Have any yummy spicy protien dishes you want to share ?

Ruth
Username: Ruth

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gleeman - a recording of "thing in G" - now that would be something to work on..... let me cogitate on that for a moment.

Gannon - I've been at U of I for 2.5 years - was at UC Santa Cruz for 5 years before that - started my academic life at U of Cincinnati before that. A much better career than business for me.

Det313grrl

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margie, I have a few wonderful cookbooks I could recommend. By the way, I hear you have a line on Victor, any luck tracking him down?

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det313grrl..I was vegie for 30 years ..Then slowly started eating fish and Chick chick...Now i have fallen for the Ribs...but still maintain about 75% Veg..When i found out My guru(Past) was eating the flesh i figured why not me ...Alas We Are What We Eat...Peace

Det313grrl

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler, I used to be macrobiotic, now, I do eat dairy and organic eggs.