Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 07, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5427
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moross to I94

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2578
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I'll try to do better in the future.

He said the original Haas burned down in 1964. His son rebuild it.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that you mention it, we would take Morang to Kelly, left on Kelly, Right on Seymour, Left on Gratiot. Haven't thought of that for a while.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: The non-Gratiot route was Kelly to Morang to Cadieux to 1-94. I guess a matter of 3 blocks makes a difference lin one's route.

Z: Then maybe it was Hass Restaurant on the southeast corner of Outer Drive and Gratiot.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For us it was Lansdowne south to Whittier, jog a block west to Whitehill, and continue south to Outer Drive, and finally west on Outer Drive to Gratiot. Lansdowne and Whitehill had very few stops, so it was a quick trip. My dad used a similar route to get to get to his office at Raynal Brothers, only he would turn left on Outer Drive towards Harper, and then turn right on Evanston to Chalmers. Thanks Z, I hadn't thought of that drive in years!

Jcole

Post Number: 5428
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know we must have gone down Gratiot sometimes, because we went to Detroit Knitting Mills down by Eastern Mkt. We never went to Eastern Market per se, though. I finally got there about 6 or 7 years ago. Being a cop, Dad didn't like just cruising the city to cruise it. He would take the quickest way possible. He loved to go for long drives in the country, though. You know, out around 23 Mile and Gratiot. :-)

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 623
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very complicated for me: Eastburn 4 blocks east to Gratiot.

Mom used to take us downtown a few times a year on the Gratiot bus since we only had 1 car. In fact my earliest memories were of taking the streetcar which ran down the middle of Gratiot. There were also electric busses but I'm not sure if they came all the way down to 8 Mile.

Jcole

Post Number: 5431
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom used to take me downtown to the Dermatologist on the Gratiot bus when I was about 3 or 4. I don't remember much about it except what I was told. I had very bad excema on my hands and feet so I had to wear white gloves and socks all the time. People on the bus thought it was so cute to see a little girl all dressed up in gloves. I'll bet they wouldn't have thought I was so damned cute if I touched them without the gloves.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 606
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We caught the bus at Morang to 7 mile, then the Gratiot bus downtown. I remember waiting at Jaclowicz's (sp)Shoe store - across from the Catholic Supply House - at 7 near Chalmers to catch the bus home.

Funjon1
Username: Funjon1

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsomyak, I believe your father sold me a car at Raynal in 1973. His name was John if I remember correctly. I was an 18 year old Chrysler worker buying my first new car and your father was extremely patient with me!

Tsomyak

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's him! He prided himself on his customer service, he always said it was the reason he was as successful as he was for so long. He had a lot of loyal customers. Thanks for sharing the memory!

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For us it was back out of the drive, south on Rex to State Fair, West to Gratiot.

Z- was that a Duncan Donuts or possibly an Amy Joy (the place with the slanted roof). I vaguely remember there being one down there someplace, but I am probably wrong. I may be thinking of another location.

Zitro

Post Number: 2579
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy that told me says it was a Duncan Donuts and I know he lived just a couple houses off that corner so I have to trust he knows better than I. He's also the Chief of Nephrology at St. John Hospital so I believe he still has all of his faculties.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Z! How about them state of the art graphics? I'm guessing that must have been mid Sixties...

Zitro

Post Number: 2581
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1967. The graphics made me laugh too. I think they had a contest with the local school and the kid who drew a car the best was the one they used.

Mkap

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - Not doubting the Nephrologist, just seem to remember an Amy Joy somewhere in the area. Maybe someone here knows where it was. Anybody?

(Message edited by mkap on January 07, 2009)

Zitro

Post Number: 2582
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember an Amy Joy but I recall it being closer to our house

Zitro

Post Number: 2583
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: I've asked this question before but no one else recalled this. Do you remember any of the guys from the McGregor Gang?

Eastburn

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there an Amy Joy at Moross & the Ford Xway?

Mkap - what street did you live on?

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was it a duncan donuts or dawn donuts on moross and i-94? went there many times, but can't remember. never heard of an amy joy.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dawn.

Zitro

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Dawn at Moross & 94. There was a chain called Amy Joy. Sounds like another quest.

Zitro

Post Number: 2585
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like they are only located in Ohio now but maybe the logo will refresh some of your memories.

http://www.amyjoydonuts.com/

Eastburn

Post Number: 625
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, now that I think of it, it was Dawn. Thanks.

Ddavid
Username: Ddavid

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z i went to McGregor for kindergarden and first grade.

Jcole

Post Number: 5437
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DD, what year did you graduate high school, 75 or 76?

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro....I knew several of these ruffians.
Were you one of them?

Mkap

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - knew a few through Fred Fish, but can't recall many names. Will have to think on that one.
Used to be MGregor Boys v Heilmann Boys. Knew a bunch from both. I never got singled out because I belonged to the St. Jude Jets boys. We were the toughest ruffiens around. All we needed to do to get them running in fear was raise our tee shirts and show them our scapulars.

Mkap

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EB - Rossini and Rex