Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 08, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2595
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you recall where on Gratiot?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5453
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooh, Stuckey's pecan logs.

Zitro

Post Number: 2596
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: Could Midge's last name been something like Midal?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there Amy Joy on the east side of Gratiot near State Fair? It would have had to been around Coram, Novara, or Liberal and Gratiot or further north toward 8 mile (I don't recall too many businesses north of State Fair on the east side of Gratiot besides Saratoga Hospital). My gut feeling is around Novara.

Zitro

Post Number: 2597
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's exactly where I was picturing it KR. I wanted to say it was close to the Dog House which would have put it just north of State Fair.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - Just left Mary a message. Will wait for a return call to get Midge's last name.

Zitro

Post Number: 2598
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, ask her what Lorie's last name was too please.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Dennis Jacobs dad was with the DPD and was a crime scene photographer. Dennis and Chuck Koenig were on one of my Wish Egan little league teams, and Dennis's dad was our coach, along with another DPD officer, Bill Avery.

Lots of familiar names floating around here. Did Steve Garavaglia have a brother named Mark? He was in my class at SJS, along with Ron Karl and Paul Bass. Steve Aubrey and Louie Shaheen sound familiar too. I also knew the Gallas family. Greg was in my class, and they were cousins to the Murray family on Lansdowne. Paul's riverboat sounds cool, I've got to check that out when I'm in town.

Zitro

Post Number: 2599
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS: Here's link to the web site.

http://www.clintonrivercruisec ompany.com/

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsom: It was Mark Garavaglia not Steve (sorry). He had a couple of older brothers. Alan was in my class at SJ (67) and ND (71).

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Amy Joy was the first place that I recall had the chocolate sprinkled cream filled doughnuts. They were around before Dunkin Donuts or Dawn Donuts started making their appearances on the east side.

Zitro

Post Number: 2600
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve is the guy on Channel 4 right? Joe's son.

I know Garagiola.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tsomyak, i remember paul gallas and steve aubrey were in my '71 class at sjs, and pretty sure both went on to nd.

Zitro

Post Number: 2601
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: Paul was in our class, but he had a bro a year younger Bob who may have been in your class.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to think of it, there was another Garavaglia in our class, Nancy. She was a cousin to the Eastwood Garavaglias, I believe.

Ddavid
Username: Ddavid

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468 LAING, I WASN'T INTO ANYTHING AT DENBY. HAD CLASSES FROM 8.00 TO 11.45 THEN WENT TO WORK AT A COLLISION SHOP. I HAD MOTORCYCLES STREET AND DIRT.

I DID KNOW KRISTINE KLOCK. RAN INTO HER AT 25TH HIGH SCHOOL REUNION. HER AND JUDY KANGUS WERE ALWAYS TOGETHER.

Zitro

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy lived lived directly acorss the street from Kris. They bothed lived on the corner of Cordell and Liberal. It was Kloock's Kangas, Mette's and Lukowski's on that corner.

12468_laing

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bob was the one in my class, thanks z

Ddavid
Username: Ddavid

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, i do remember that.judy remarried and moved to california.

Z, where did you live?????/

Zitro

Post Number: 2603
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5 doors down from Judy between Cordell and Boulder on Liberal.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a couple of blocks east from Turczinski's.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 608
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little late coming in - but yes, I do remember the Amy Joy's being near Gratiot and State Fair. When we were kids and went to AG, a trip to Amy Joy's was a treat after Sunday Mass.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we're all getting into the nitty gritty of former classmates...For the record..
Paul, Bob, and Greg Gallas (St. Jude classed of 70,71, and 72 respectively. Larry Shaheen (70), Louie Shaheen (73), Steven Aubrey (71)
Paul Bass (72), Mark Garavaglia (72). Mark Carion (71?), Ron Karl (72) and others in the early 70s all lived on Eastwood between Kelly and Rex. The list is not all inclusive and doesn't include the many older brothers or sisters that graduated in the 60s or mid to late 70s.

I've mentioned this before but Kids from that area (late 60s to early 70s) on Eastwood (Kelly to Rex) all attended St. Jude School. I really don't recall any that went to Columbus at that time.

I often wondered how the Detroit Publice School System would have handled 1600 plus students in that area if all of a sudden St. Jude decided to close. Also add in ND, Regina, Austin, Dominican etc. What would have happened if those schools suddenly closed or never existed in the first place? Comments, analysis observations please

Zitro

Post Number: 2604
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city would have went broke a lot sooner?

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 629
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably a tax increase. Of course, our parents didn't get a tax break for sending their kids to parochial schools.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 630
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dd - do you still ride?

Going way back. There was a motorcycle shop on the north side of 7 Mile just east of Hayes. They carried NSU, Horex &, I believe, BMW. Owned by Gil Engels who later opened Eastland and Northwest Honda. He had Honda franchise #60-something in the WORLD. I worked at Northwest Honda/BMW while going to night school at Wayne State.

Still have a Honda and a BMW as well as a Suzuki for good measure. I guess brand loyalty gets built early.

12468_laing

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mark carion was class of 71. remember being in his house playing rook for hours. didn't i hear he has passed away?

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z...all 3 names are deceased.
The Harvey that passed was Tom.
Tom Gloss's older bro passed a few years back.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the cities of Detroit and Harper Woods did get a small taste of that kind of closing when Proposal C passed (late 1960's?) I remember tuition jumped at St. Judes, and we saw an exodus of kids from our class whose parents decided to move their kids to public schools. I often wondered what effect this had on the public school system. I don't remember how many left exactly, but it still had to be a strain on the public system to absorb all those kids. Does anyone have a feel for how many kids left at that time?

Zitro

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJT: Last time I saw Dave Richards he was standng outside his dads bump shop on 8 Mile and he looked like he had a stroke. I think I knew about Bob Gloss. I think he was one of the original M Boys. Dave Farmer may have been with that group too.