Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 09, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - Mary says hey!
Midge Wasil, Lori Ritz, Vickie Schugart, Kathy Tucker... she also remembers you and Chuck Stepp were tight.
Mary also concurs with the Amy Joy being North of State Fair.
Here from Chris Mette? How's he doing? I remember freezing my tail off in Chris' Bug with no heat in the back seat and the windows frosting up. Probably going over to Tony's Pinball on Kelly to get wupped at Fooseball.

(Message edited by mkap on January 08, 2009)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2606
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasil-shame on me for forgetting, I was on the right train of thought I guess.. We spent a lot of time with those gals. Thanks for asking her. I haven't talked to Chris in years and really don't know how to get hold of him. Chuck and I are still close friends, I was Best Man at his wedding

Mkap

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farmer!? Hmm!! Brings back faded memories.

Zitro

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there was another gal Mary Vassillo who hung around with them too. All Osbornites.

Mkap

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to know Z, will pass that along.

Mkap

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary V, was going to mention her, but never expected you to know her. Strict parents. We could not even go near her house to pick her up as early teens. Mary and some of the other girls had to do that for us if we wanted to hang with her.

Zitro

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there was a sister more our age Lori, she was like a flower child. They may have lived on Rossini closer to Boulder

Mkap

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't remember Lori V. I thought Mary V. was only a year younger. As Mary D. reminded me today it's been almost forty years since we started running around together, so I'm apt to forget now and again who's who.

Zitro

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: I was talking about Lori Farmer not Lori V. The post just didn't get in the right sequence right away.

Mkap

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Yeah! I remember her. She used to hang around Bob Cole's sister (married John (Jimmy) Nicholosi) who's name escapes me. And yes, a real flower child. She really dug the scene man!

Zitro

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today is the day everyone has to put one of those yucky tasting red dye pills in your mouth to check for cavities. Don't all rush at once.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5462
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who says?

Zitro

Post Number: 2612
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sr. Ellen Richard.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, DDS: Dr. Shipko (Kelly and McCormick) knew that I brushed and flossed regularly and curtailed the consumption of Mountain Dew...so the red dye pills can wait. Besides I rather sit in the waiting room listening to my younger brother scream in agony while he's getting his wisdom teeth pulled. *_*

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Curtis was my dentist - his office is where the Comerica is on Morang and Duchess. Nice guy - he always gave toothbrushes out like candy when you went there. And, I hated those red pills.

Zitro

Post Number: 2613
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing promotes good health better than a solid dose of good old Red Dye #2

Zitro

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I believe those were flouride treatments. They had us do that once a year at St. Jude for about 3-4 years that I recall. Everone would laugh at each other showing off the stained teeth.

Jcole

Post Number: 5463
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, Z, we got a little kit with 2 red dye pills and a toothbrush. You would brush your teeth, and then chew a pill. It would indicate where you missed with your brushing. You would then re-brush and chew the other pill, and hopefully, you would have done a better job. I don't think it was to show cavities, but to improve our brushing skills.

Jcole

Post Number: 5464
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There might have been a little tube of toothpaste in there as well.

12468_laing

Post Number: 352
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

remember that at school, too. didn't they also administer the sugar cubes with the polio vacine, too? Seems I remember doing that in the gym.

Jcole

Post Number: 5465
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, yes, we got the polio vaccine via sugar cube at school. I think we were pretty young.
And yes, the red dye pills were given at school, too

Mkap

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone recall the May Crowning celebration?
I mostly recall standing in rows facing the Convent in the hot sun practicing for what seemed like hours at a time.
Does St. Jude still carry on this tradition?

Zitro

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing you beat me to the punch I was thinking about that while at lunch. Also, I remember my grandmother having a big polio vaccination scar on her arm. Later on at some point they started giving the girls theirs on their legs and still the boys on their arms. When did they stop vaccinating children for polio? Maybe our resident pharmacist would know this one.

12468_laing

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mkap, i remember the May Crowning. i also remember my sister and i building little may altars in our bedrooms. wish we did that down here in tn.

Mkap

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it starts!!!
Another 6-10 tonight.
Fire up the snow blower gang, it's here!

Jcole

Post Number: 5466
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, I think the big ugly vaccination scars were actually from the Smallpox vaccine. My sister had a huge one, but then they started giving them on the leg or rear end. Mines one in the latter location. I think they switched in the early 50's.
There were two polio vaccines, live and killed. The live was the one given via sugar cube, like we received. It became the norm in the early 60s

Zitro

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smallpox, you're right. We're missing the big snow blast here in Ioway.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 631
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're missing it, too, in Huron County. Just got back from a walk on the lake to the lighthouse. Pix on FB.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 609
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the sugar cube polio - boy we lined up and took whatever they gave us - what's up with that? I always wanted the big vaccination mark on my arm - but nothing ever came of it!
Yes, we still do the May Crowning, but it's done in the church at the statue of the Blessed Mother. Very cute ceremony. I'll try to remember to take pictures this year.
Yep - did the May Altar at home too - taking turns between the three of us saying the "novena" each night as a family on our knees. Bet there's not too much of that happening any more.
Snow flurries here now - nothing to write home about.

Jcole

Post Number: 5467
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're only supposed to get a couple inches out of the storm. Detroit and south will get the big numbers