Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » 2008-09 Red Wings » Archive through November 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The next NHL team will join the Western Conference, moving the Wings to the East. It's already on the books

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3081
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But Detroit also has big rivalries with Chicago and St. Louis, and those would be broken or extremely weakened.

A team has to be competitive to be included in a rivalry. Those rivalries died years ago.

While Chicago has improved this year, neither St. Louis or Chicago has put a decent team on the ice in a very long time. On the list of teams I'd like to see each year, Chicago and St. Louis come in at near the bottom.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sick of St Louis and Chicago over and over and over............

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The next NHL team will join the Western Conference, moving the Wings to the East. It's already on the books

Link?

I was hoping that had the Penguins franchise might move to a city west of Detroit, a few years ago, and that the Red Wings would transfer to the Eastern Conference of the NHL, until I realized that Columbus was further east by longitude than Detroit, but Atlanta is slightly further west, hmmm...

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing that might cause a hitch in the wings giddy up move is a policy I heard the HL had a couple years ago where they not only consider a team's location but also their economic impact on other teams before moving. Logically, if a team moved from the West to the East, it would either be Detroit or Columbus. The problem with moving Detroit is the Wings have for a long time filled arenas that are generally only moderately full out west. Typically Phoenix, LA, Columbus, and Nashville don't sell out much. However, whenever the Wings are in town, seats have bodies in them. You remove a team like Detroit from the conference, and suddenly a team has 3 or 4 less sellouts. When you're a small market team, that's a lot of money lost is the Wings swap conferences. Columbus doens't have this impact, so if you were looking to even out teams, they'd be a more neutral trade.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say put the original six teams in the same division. Would be huge for the league, but no way Bettman would do it.

Raptor56

Post Number: 546
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on a side note, The Chicago Blackhawks have fired coach Denis Savard after a 1-2-1 start and replaced him with Joel Quenneville.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c om/2008/hockey/nhl/10/16/black hawks.savard.fired/index.html

Leticiaweb
Username: Leticiaweb

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh noooooooooo, the Wings need to stay in the West. Only chance I get to see them is when they play the Kings, Ducks and Sharks. Half the seats are filled up with Red Wings fans so I don’t think the NHL would move them to the East.

Zetterberg (groin) out; Helm called up. Star forward likely to miss Saturday's game vs. NY Rangers.
http://redwings.nhl.com/team/a pp/?service=page&page=NewsPage &articleid=386939

Raptor56

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great... another groin injury. the bain of an NHL player.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Blues fan, I'm looking forward to Wednesday. It should be a very exciting game. The Red Wings are always a tough opponent.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stanley cup hangover or what? geeze.. they barely beat the rangers...

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 635
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the rangers are a very good team this year.

Leticiaweb
Username: Leticiaweb

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were 3-1-1 this time last year and ended up with 115 pts. (2007: 3-1-1, 2008: 3-1-1) Way too early in the season to be concerned.

I’m looking forward to going to the Wings/Kings game on the 27th and Wings/Ducks on the 29th. (Good god, the Honda Center sucks and their fans are even worse)

Raptor56

Post Number: 555
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me, or do the Wings look like they are standing around a lot on defense this year?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9080
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor56, I think part of it is that the Wings have played some pretty young teams as of late (Toronto, Vancouver & NYRangers) that aren't exactly rich in talent (yet) but they have some fast forwards. It's not that Detroit's particularly slow but also factor in that it's the beginning of the season, legs are fresh, and the other teams want to prove something to themselves by knocking off the champs. No worries yet.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wasnt really complaining about the record..more the fact that they seem to be playing really lethargic..I think i agree with what smogboy says though...everyone wants to be the new David.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Solid effort against the Blues. Ty Conklin looks good in goal as a back up..We played better for a change...and SL has some good talent that makes them a tougher opponet than before...the central is really turning into a tough division.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 637
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a couple players who look well distanced from their prime right now. One who has caught my eye in pretty much every game so far is Dan Cleary.

Since his broken jaw injury late last season, he has seemed a little timid on the ice. Even during last years playoff run. He's getting beat to pucks, turning them over and breaking the cycle. Dan has always been a little streaky, but when we were missing Zetterberg last year, Dan stepped it up and scored some very timely goals and posted several multi point games.

Others who haven't found their groove yet would be Kronwall, Hudler, Stuart and Flip. Just my observation. I am sure these guys will find some lightning eventually.

One player who has really surprised me is Sammy. He has carried some momentum into this season from last season. I've always said he's sometimes the guy that makes it really hard to hate him. Right now, he's doing it again.

Our stars are right where they need to be, so no problems there.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 642
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hossa and Datsyuk are friggin' unbelievable. Mad props to them and their efforts.

Zetterberg and Lidstrom look real good as well.

I don't want to sit here and A$$-pat our superstars, but they are keeping it real for the Red Wings. What a tear their on!

Wings 09'

Leannam1989

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brendan Shanahan is not signing with the Rangers.

If he wants to go to a cup contender, would the Wings want him? Could they fit him into their cap space? Just wondering.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holland already stated there is no salary-cap room for Shanahan. He won't be back with the Wings this year.

Raptor56

Post Number: 573
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

besides no cap room, why do we really need him? We have enough high scoring forwards as it is. who would you cut to put him on the team? Maltby, Kopecky, Hudler, Franzen?

Tkshreve

Post Number: 652
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Franzen...... really? How on god's green earth did he make your list?

Raptor...... not to bust your chops....... but have you been watching the wings lately?

Smogboy

Post Number: 9147
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve, I think you might've missed Raptor's point- I don't think we'd give up a bag of pucks, much less one of our better stars in Franzen for the likes of a Brendan Shanahan now.

Shanny was great when he was here but we've got a different team now with an entirely different approach.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9249
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch the OT loss to the Pens. Yeah it's one game out of far too many but what a lousy way to lose it in OT. Lots of room for improvement with ample time ahead but let's figure it out sooner than later. They're giving up far too many shots that they never would've last year and the five-on-five doesn't seem as potent any more.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 669
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent points Smogboy.

They have had difficulty getting back to where they were last year regarding defensive play and puck control.

I was at the game last night and barring the questionable calls that put them at a 2-man disadvantage, you could really see the wings lose control and momentum. I thought that sixth goal was going to be enough, but shame on me for assuming with the NHL. No doubt that Pitt is a good team with depth, youth, speed and skill.

One thing though. The Wings can't be expected to play perfect hockey all season long. Perhaps they are going to ramp up as they move closer to the playoffs in a continual motion. Let's hope at least. They are still winning their division and right at the top in their conference. This comes from scraping several loose points out of OT's and shootout wins. It's good for now, but this level of hockey will not win in the playoffs.

I have also seen an unlikely amount of bad hops and giveaways for this team. Maybe their just getting it out of their system.

Good to see Franzen back, and scoring. He will be a big part of this teams success this season. Also good to see Zett scoring on that second line w/o Pavel as his lucky charm.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For sure those were very questionable calls to put them on the 5 on 3. Makes you wonder with a national audience watching on Versus and the Pens are so beloved by the NHL. Bad move on Babcock calling a time out towards the end of the 5 on 3, gave the Pens guns a rest, then they scored. Can't believe I'm saying this but they miss Cheli out there on the penalty kill.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

terrible game tonight...we won at least, if they replace the Joe with an arena like Tampa's...I'll be upset. I paid 40 bucks for some of the worst seats ever..

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard the game last night got Melrose fired. Maybe the Lightening should have thought harder before they guaranteed a win against the Redwings, and promised free tickets to the next game if they lost, lol.

Leannam1989

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How, if at all, is the local economy effecting Red Wings attendance?

Just curious.