Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 10, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hate to pass this on, but i just stepped out of the office, and the temp is around 60, and I saw a couple jogging at the park across the road.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5469
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll just bet you do!

quote:

hate to pass this on, but i just stepped out of the office, and the temp is around 60

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: The above is from the 1969 May Crowning.
You bring up an interesting question about the current existence of a May Crowning especially in light of the recent school closing. Maybe there is still a May Crowing in the parish but on a smaller scale.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2617
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just brightened our day laing. I'm sure TS is going to chime in now and tell us it's 80 degrees in Austin with 47% humidity.

Zitro

Post Number: 2618
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's that tall kid doing in the middle of the line? Didn't he get the memo shortest to tallest in the back?

Jcole

Post Number: 5470
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Z, I thought I was your TS? Who's this other TS of whom you speak?

Zitro

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will always be my Twisted Sister.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opps looks like Campfire girl answered the May Crowning question.

Do remember very well the oral polio vaccine administered in a sugar cube, I remember the line of card tables set up in the gym, the line to fill out the forms, the wait....it was actually pretty exciting being able to suck down that sugar cube.

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: He took cuts. What are you going to do about it?

Jcole

Post Number: 5472
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, I feel redeemed now

Zitro

Post Number: 2620
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll sic Sr. Ellen Richard on him.

Zitro

Post Number: 2621
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR: Do you know when smallpox vaccinations ended?

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1963 May Crowning

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z: I don't recall every having to provide small pox vaccine (from the late 70s). The virus was pretty much eradicated by the 70s. From what I understand the virus only exists at the CDC and a couple of other places in Europe. (they need the virus to develope a vaccine just in case there ever is another outbreak or even bio terrorism)

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! I forgot about the SJS "Beanie"! How come some of the other girls got to wear their Easter Hats?

Jcole

Post Number: 5474
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear that the two girls on the right in the easter hats are my older sister and I. We had hats just like that, and I would have been 7 and Fran 12 for this picture

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm always late to the party, it must be a Texas thing. You're pretty close Z, right now it's 79 degrees and 48% humidity, according to the weather channel, anyway. That's the good news for us here. The bad news is tonight we're going to try another Austin rendition of Greek food. This is sure to be a disappointment. :-( Oh, for one last meal at Hellas!

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - Some of the M Boys were:
Bobby "Big Daddy" Glossinger
Tommy "Weaver" Glossinger
Ted Harvey
Dave Richards
My buddy believes they are all deceased but won't swear to that.
I know some of these were already mentioned.

Joe Delegato
Mike and Tommy Bitner

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sugar cubes...remember when the restaurants all had them in a little bowl on the table?...I used to eat those like candy?

J is right about the little red pills being used to test your brushing skills. I think they were from Colgate.

KR, I can sure relate to your wisdom teeth pulling story...not sure what they used to give for pain back when I had mine out, but I wasn't complaining about pain or anything else for a couple of days, that's for sure.

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap....big daddy
Tommy G
Dave Richards
Neil Winterine
John Scotchel
Tom Harvey
Steve Gill
Mike Bittner these guys have "left the Building"

Tom Bittner lives in Califonia...successful contractor.
I use to know Joe Delagato...John Barra...have not heard anything on these guys.

Zitro

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Gill and Neil W, I remember those guys too. All gone? They must have had a different water supply than we did

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I'll try to flip the picture around and maybe a confirmation of you and Fran can be made :-)

Jcole

Post Number: 5475
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, KR, sounds like a plan

Zitro

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice come from behind win for the Stones tonight agsinst Chauncey and the Nuggies!

Kellyroad

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right Z, Affalo strong at the end, Prince with key plays and strong team defense in the end, Billups strong but not enough. Not a bad win on the road for a team that is banged up or with key injuries. Hopefully the AI saga will continue on a strong pace toward the playoffs

7andkelly

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Wings and Pistons playoffs...J, you know what that means.

Jcole

Post Number: 5477
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I've got a while. Let those socks have a rest, will ya?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, I'm guessing you've been to some Spurs games.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, it was just a reminder in case you need to start some kind of fermenting process or something. Hockeytown is counting on you!

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ - WoW! That's a lot of dudes from to old hood eh? I know some of those guys lived hard and fast.
Joe Delegato is doing fine. He keeps in contact with a friend of mine, Lou Fisch. You may have known Lou's brothers, Fred and the late Anthony up on Carlisle St..