Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 13, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly, I've been to a few Spurs games, but surprisingly not in a while. I went down to see the Lakers play a few times when Magic was still playing, and I think I made it to see the Bad Boys back in the day, but not much since. I've made many more trips to Dallas to see the Wings and Tigers. My son became a huge Wings and Tigers fan, so they were a bigger draw for us. We did make it down to San Antonio to see the Lions play the Saints in 2006 (AKA "The game nobody wanted to win") That was the year the Saints were displaced by hurricane Katrina. In case you don't remember, the Saints prevailed, and the Lions were forced to take the victory. :-)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS: Have you been to any Round Rock Exspress games? I went to a game there 2 years ago. We have Triple A Iowa Cubs in Des Moines. It's not bad baseball and you can catch some of these guys before they go to the bigs. Great seats for $8.00 too!

I do the same thing, I either go to Kansas City or the Twin Cities to get my Detroit teams fix.

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap...I remember the "Fisch"name but cannot place a face.
I think I heard Joe went into teaching?
There is a neighborhood and Denby reunion at Metro park every first Saturday in July.
Mark Catanzaro puts this together.
This year I hope to make it as I did not last year.
2 years ago I attended and saw many a almost familar face :Bob Barone,Curtis Nagy,Mike Murphy,Randy Gies,Dave Farmer,Scott Riker,Pete Maniaci,Cal Barone....to name a few

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too cool, TS.

Our Red Wings and Pistons have given us some great memories over the years with their regular season and playoff success. And when the Tigers won the pennant in '06, the town was at a fever's pitch.

But IF the Lions EVER make the playoffs again, and win, ...

... HAHAHAHAHA!

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SJ - Some of those names are familiar. Which Mike Murphy, I know of at least two? One from the old Det. News paper station on 8-Mile by Pasquales Bakery, and the other from my street on Rossini.
How is the reunion format set up? Do they have signs with the year you graduated or did you just mingle. I'm sure it would be hard to recognize any of the people I have not seen in the last 35+ years. My father recently went to an all Holy Name reunion and said everyone just mingled and that it was difficult to spot anyone he knew because of it.

Zitro

Post Number: 2626
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap, I believe the gal that runs the Denby 74' website keeps this up to date as far as reunions, here's a link to the one they had last year. You might want to peruse it periodically for updates.

http://www.denby74.com/news.ph p?newsid=25

Did you ever hear how Ron Duveyoung passed away? He was the last one I thought would go early, I know he always kept himself in tip top shape being a guard at Jackson.

(Message edited by zitro on January 12, 2009)

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z, yep, I've been to a few Express games. It is quite a bargain, and very entertaining to boot. I got to see Roy Oswalt pitch for them before he moved up to the Astros. The late season games are a problem for me, though. Even though the games are at night, gametime temps can be hovering near 100, and will still be in the mid 90's by the late innings. I guess I still have that thick Michigander blood!

7K, As far as the Lions go, I tell folks the last time they won an NFL championship was the week before I was born. I don't think I'm meant to see one. If the Lions ever do make a run at a Super Bowl, I might be a bit nervous. :-)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5492
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If the Lions ever do make a run at a Super Bowl, I might be a bit nervous.

Yeah, kinda like one of the seven signs of the Apocalypse

7andkelly

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, of course it is similar to the Red Wings not winning in our lifetime until '97. I will always remember that great day!

I wish we had some minor league baseball in the area. Well, I guess last year we kind of did.

With the Lions, you need to get all your hoping done in the off season. At this point, my "next season will be better" hope has never been higher. So much for "the bar is high".

Zitro

Post Number: 2627
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there was some discussion about bringing a ML team to Macomb County. Is that still viable or is it dead?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is that viable or is it dead"?

Macomb County, or the ML team idea?

Jcole

Post Number: 5496
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either or both

7andkelly

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There may be some hope for getting a team, but the county is toast from what I can see, sad to say.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They wanted to bring a minor league team to Tiger Stadium, but Mikey Illitch nixed the idea - competition and all...I guess it's too late now. There was also talk about a National League franchise moving in - but again that would have taken $$ out of Mike's pockets.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This round of questions brings up an idea. Detroit through the years has had two teams in a sport - some successful, some not, Michigan Panthers, the Shock, Michigan Stags, etc. So far as I know, Tigers were always the only baseball team in town - pro or minor, right?

Sjtunnelgang
Username: Sjtunnelgang

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap...If you check out the site Zitro has posted the name and phone number is Mark Catanzaro.
Mike Murphy lived on Carlisle I think. His father a Detroit cop. One of Mikes buddies was Dirk Nast on Collingham,his father also a Detroit cop.
I don't think signs are a part of the reunion.
I have to admit,I experienced some difficulty with a few names and faces.

Zitro

Post Number: 2628
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: I can think of 2: Before the Tigers were a professional team In Detroit in 1901 a few years prior to that there was the Detroit Wolverines which were in the National League. Then there was the Negro League baseball team of the Detroit Stars which the Tigers honor once a year by wearing their uniforms.

SJT: I knew Dirk Nast, He played ball at Heilman Park and Rec.

Jcole

Post Number: 5499
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received the following email from a lady today who wants to share some memories, but needs to get access to the site. I thought I'd post her memories for discussion. I won't share her name unless she wants me to.

quote:

I attended St. Jude for my 6-8 grade and graduated in 1968. Reading the archives, bought back many memories. I have a couple, does anyone remember the two young priests that spanked two girls at the 8th grade graduation? And also how you had to walk on the sidewalks, only two rows one going in each direction, and how you couldn't talk on the school block. I remember being in the gym when we were watching the movie of Abraham Lincoln, and heard that JFK was killed. I often wonder about some of my former classmates, does anyone have a directory saying where some of them maybe? Hoping to hear from you. Okie Nana Also what kind of email address do I have to use to get on the forum? It doesn't accept hotmail.com

Mkap

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z - Saw that site earlier but have not been on it for a while.
I don't know how Ron died. I can inquire next time I speak with some friends. Was sorry to hear about his passing. I did not know him directly, but knew of him from the neighborhood.

SJ - Did Mike and Dirk live near Kim Panelone or Jeff Pagett. They were a couple of guys I played ball with during my wilting career.

Zitro

Post Number: 2629
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff Padgett lived on Coram between Redmond and Rex.

Zitro

Post Number: 2630
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see there is another St. Jude FB page and once again the old timers are excluded. They must think we can't figure out these dang puter thingamangnies.

http://www.facebook.com/group. php?gid=59788116557

Zitro

Post Number: 2631
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Eagle has landed."

Jcole

Post Number: 5500
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that your backyard, or what?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet it's a picture taken of a TV showing a view of the moon from a camera in the lunar lander...or it's Z' backyard like you said, J.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly remember the Michigan Panthers. We witnessed their championship run, and the Viper's Turner Cup win. Gordy's "6th decade" game as a Viper was special. The Shock are fun to watch. And we've been to see some Plymouth Whalers and Motor City Mechanics games. And the Flint Generals, Windsor Spitfires, and Toledo Mud Hens are all within reach. Of course, we have our college teams which have taken their turns on the national stage.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 634
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've got a top 10 NCAA team in East Lansing right now for that matter. If you're not watching them you're missing a lot of fun.

Zitro

Post Number: 2632
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That pic was taken of the front yard, I thought it was cool how the full moon last night was casting shadows on the drifts and snow mounds. Totally lunar!!

Mkap

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I was looking for another Jeff!

Looks like snow off the back side of a deck at dusk.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 612
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very definitely a lunar look!
Didn't know about the other facebook page - Wish they'd join and combine stories.

Zitro

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a ticket from Gordie's 6th decade game that 7 went to.