Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 13, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff Perdue? Another firebrat.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure I still have my ticket to that game somewhere, Z, but it's definitely not nice and hermetically sealed like yours. One of these days I'm going to start cataloging my memorabilia.

Zitro

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those interested. This is the place I buy bulk purchases for my sleeves, protectors etc. They have some of the best prices available from my research.
http://www.hotflips.com/

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just added some new pics to the SJS website - the pamphlet from the St. Jude Parent Teacher Guild 69-70 - lists ALL teachers with Room #'s etc. - and as a special treat the Program from Mr. McAdam's Birthday celebration - with featured Pianist Regina Cole ending the celebration, playing the Birthday Waltz - Document written 2/15/68. (I also scanned in a Hall Pass - in the event someone wants to copy/paste/use...

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5502
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, I had forgotten totally about that. I was such a bad pianist that I have no idea what made me volunteer for that duty, unless it was Sr. Paul Therese's way of punishing me for something.

Zitro

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks CFG, those are some great SJ momentoes

Jcole

Post Number: 5503
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, those are great. Looking at that pamphlet, I noticed that Frank isn't the janitor. He must have retired before we left SJS. I didn't remember that.

Zitro

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Gogelewski's name Walter?

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 614
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the teacher's names sounded familiar and some - not at all! Who knew we had a school social worker? It looks like everyone was assigned a job - from Book Ordering and Supplies to "Vocation Director?" I have no idea who Mr. Burkey was, yet he was a 7th grade teacher when we were in 8th.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 615
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Z - I think it was Walter. Also, I noticed we hardly got any time off - a week at Christmas and Easter - and classes lasted until the 2nd week in June.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that Mrs Knoll wasn't listed on the faculty. Does anyone remember when she retired? I had her for fourth grade in 67-68.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Burkey was a teacher who came from St. Matthew's and I believe he taught science in the room next to 129. We used to say "Burkey is a turkey". I didn't like him at all. Thanks for that bad memory:-) And, it was Walter Gogelewski and he came after Frank. Walter was shorter and larger around the middle than Frank was.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do what I can! :-)
Yes, I DO remember Walter - we used to call him GO-GO - didn't we ----or was that just me? :-0

Jcole

Post Number: 5506
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Walter Frank's assistant before Frank retired?

7andkelly

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Frank who interrupted our nice rock fight on the blacktop, and made us pick up every last stone. And we were having so much fun! I notice the new plastic garbage can lids don't have the nice handle on them like the metal ones did. They made for great shields.

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 617
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - I'm chortling - just thinking of the tin can lids being shields in the battle of the rocks!

12468_laing

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, Schwartz is there for another interview. The Lions would definitely have a good man to coach them - he has built a very good defense here - too bad our offense didn't know that Saturday when they were turning over the ball. Hope Lions get him.

Zitro

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing: The Titans won every aspect of that game except the final score. Too many turnovers and that no call on the time clock didn't help.

BTW: No dice on the Schulties Bar as far as the matchbooks, I'll continue to look at other ephemora I have though

7andkelly

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Laing. I too wouldn't mind the Lions getting Schwartz for their defensive coordinator / assistant head coach. For head coach we need a leader with head coaching experience, and a demonstrated record for winning games.

Jcole

Post Number: 5510
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just looking at the Mr. McAdams party schedule over on FB, and I was wondering if CFG or Zitro remember this. Do you remember doing a box lunch auction that year, where the girls made lunches and put them in decorated boxes and then they were sold anonymously to the boys who then had to have lunch with the girl they bought the lunch from? I think it was around Washington's birthday, because I remember decorating my lunch with construction paper axes and cherries.

Zitro

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do recall that although I can't remember who I got. I'm not sure that there wasn't some type of cahootenizing going on to get who you wanted to have lunch with.

Jcole

Post Number: 5511
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you're right about the cahootenizing, because I remember waiting and waiting for you to bid on my lunch, and you never did. I think you bought Bev Jerzewski's.

Zitro

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said "I don't recall"

12468_laing

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed the Lions need someone with good experience, but just watch, whoever they pick, it will be their 1st head coaching job.

Jcole

Post Number: 5512
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Using the Nixon excuse, hmmm?

Zitro

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More RR

Jcole

Post Number: 5513
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to say that, but I didn't want to get in trouble.

Really, I don't remember either, but it's fun to pretend.

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember going into the gym and buying cupcakes for a nickel? This must have been a special occasion, but can't recall what. If you bought a cupcake with a nickel baked inside you could buy another.

Jcole

Post Number: 5514
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that part of hot dog day? Twice a year, we got to have hot dogs for lunch, and they also sold cupcakes.

Zitro

Post Number: 2642
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never got the rubber hot dog :-(