Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia » St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia - Archives » Archive through January 15, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember that. imagine feeding a rubber hot dog or a cupcake with a nickle in it to a kid now!!!! seems i got a nickle in my cupcake once.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5515
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure the regular hot dogs tasted a lot like the rubber ones, so we may never know if we got one or not. The nuns probably saved a lot of dollars that way.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that the day you could also opt for orange drink instead of milk? I seem to remember that was a big deal too. I used to love that stuff, I would suck that carton dry in a flash.

Campfire_girl
Username: Campfire_girl

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember the box lunch - and also remember that I got Gary Byciek (sp) and Betty had Frank Orrico. I remember that I felt sorry for Gary who was as big as an adult in the 6th grade and it was hard for him to fit into a regular desk. He was a wonderful artist.
I remember the nickel in the cupcakes too - and never got one....and yes, the regular hot dogs could have passed for rubber ones! :-)

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2643
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG: It may have been Robert Orrico, I think Frank was a year or two younger

Jcole

Post Number: 5516
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CFG, I remember Gary well. He was a really nice guy. As we got into 8th grade, he became more avant-garde and therefor cooler. He used to wear an over coat and hat.

Zitro

Post Number: 2644
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary was a gentle giant

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right Z - it WAS Bob - Frank was in my brother's class. Bob was a nice guy. I remember Gary walking with the overcoat and hat down 7 mile - and yes, he was a gentle giant - such a gentleman and so soft spoken.

Jcole

Post Number: 5518
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do we know what ever happened to him after grade school?

12468_laing

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the Oricco's was in Cub Scouts with me - his mother was my den mother when I first got in. they lived in a house on Moross the other side of Beaconsfield, I think - one of those duplexes with one family above, and the other one below. Now I can't remember who was the youngest, Frank or Robert - little help - which one was in the class of '71?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. I think he went to high school.

Frank did too. Good kid. Ran into him at the reunion in '97 at Gilbert's.

Zitro

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob was in our class and Frank was younger so it must have been Frank. We used to play football on the island on Moross across from their house with the Perna's and McCormicks. They had one of the most organized pickup games, they would even have one of the older kids be a ref. The field was telephone pole to telephone pole.

(Message edited by zitro on January 13, 2009)

12468_laing

Post Number: 361
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those islands were great for football. thanks for letting me know it was Frank in my class.

Jcole

Post Number: 5519
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant Gary B. Do we know what ever happened to him?

Tsomyak

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played in a few of those football games with the Orricos. Bob was the older one, Frank was in my class. I always thought a lot of them, just genuinely nice people. I kept in touch with them through college, it seemed I would often run into one of them in the Engineering Library at MSU. Later, I would often run into one or the other at DTW whenever I would fly into or out of Detroit. It was one of those strange coincidences, we would see each other and just start to laugh. That hasn't happened in years. Anyone hear from either of them?

(Message edited by tsomyak on January 13, 2009)

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not seen or heard from either one of them - and JC - don't know a thing about what happened to Gary - where he went to High School - or later.

Zitro

Post Number: 2646
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Jeff Rappold was another guy that used to play ball on the islands

Campfire_girl

Post Number: 621
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a Thomas Rappold who was a couple of years young? Tsomyak - that'd be a question from your class, right?

Tsomyak

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Tom was in my class. Were the Rappolds the family that lived on Kelly just south of Seven Mile? I'm thinking there or one block over on Payton.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howie Ryback would know. He was a block over on Riad.

Jcole

Post Number: 5527
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tunnelgang lived over that way I think. Kelly south of 7 near the old bank

7andkelly

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TS, BTW, did you know Bill Promesso became a priest. Saw him doing the TV Mass a while ago, and in person recently, also.

7andkelly

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved that old bank. They used to give out good stuff like metal coin banks that came with their own key. I'd remember walking over there to make deposits with money I got from Grandma, birthdays, Christmas, etc. No trouble taking the money out, either, even though I was just a kid. And I would stop in all the time, just to get a couple of penny gum balls.

Tsomyak

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I did know about Bill. We chatted for quite a while at one of the ND reunions, either the 15th or 20th. (Gosh, was it really that long ago? The 20th was the last one I heard of.)

12468_laing

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone else hear this news about Schwartz and the Lions job?
http://www.nashvillecitypaper. com/news.php?viewStory=65397

Tsomyak

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can hear the Lions PR team from here.

"May the Schwartz be with us!"

*TS ducks for cover....*

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K - I know Bill Promesso. He lived directley behind a good friend of mine. He is a very nice guy. I have not seen him on the tube, but have been to a couple of the masses he has done over the years. Do you know where he presides now?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mkap: Fr. Bill is our pastor at St. Cyprian in Riverview. He often refers back to the east side, his family, or high school (ND) when giving his sermons....a very dynamic orator

Mkap
Username: Mkap

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KR - Yes, Father puts it into quite a nice package for you. Easy to digest his interpretation.
Hope he is doing well.

12468_laing

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's all the slackers? Temp is up to 23 here in Nashville, low tonight of 6. They already closed the Nashville public schools for tomorrow due to the cold. Ah, to walk uphill both ways in 8 ft of snow to SJS!!!!