Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Can we be a movie making destination ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just watched the "Making of" the movie "Stealth". A decent movie, but the "making of" part just blew me away. The Engineers, the Prop masters, Grips, Hands , the cinematographers, the set dressers, the locations, and legal troubles incurred. The Hydraulic Gimbles. The set construction. We have everything in Michigan, that they have in Canada. New Zealand, and Australia, (Except Kangaroo's). Dunes, Forest, Lakes, Oceans ?, and good people, willing to help.

We can take some of this production from these places. Why not, we have the incentives in place.

Why is all this going to other countries ? Our dollar is devalued. We can do this for a decent price. Remember when Jam Handy was THE place to go to ? We had a film industry at one time.

We have a good start here, to build a Motion picture industry, in this state. People that can build Fiberglass boats can build a Fiberglass prop for a movie.

We have a great start, so far, lets just not let it go.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go for it!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4865
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.michigan.gov/filmof fice

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23, I think that it would be a good idea, going for a share of the movie / TV industry. I think it would be a good building block to diversify the Michigan economy. I don't think it will ever be a major industry, but if it puts 500 million or a billion new dollars into the economy that would be great. I think the whole entertainment industry in Michigan, from team sports, gambling, museums, historic sites, live theather, outdoor recreation, and cultural institutions can be promoted much more, and generate a lot more revenue.

(Please, no tacky theme parks up by Grayling, however.)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3376
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This site was in my job search inbox. It might be a good resource tool for local film production jobs.

http://www.mandy.com/1/jobs3.c fm?v=31593299

(Message edited by Bigb23 on January 20, 2009)

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan will only be a movie making destination until other states enact lower taxes and fees and pays the movie industry higher incentives (our tax dollars) to film there.

(Message edited by 1KielsonDrive on January 22, 2009)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 666
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23, I work in the film industry in this state and I can say that it is indeed growing. Everyone seems to want to make Michigan the destination for Hollywood producers to shoot films, but there are some factors that may see Michigan behind the ball, for example if another state comes along and offers a more lucrative incentive program. One of the things preventing the film industry from really taking hold here is the lack of a major motion picture studio, a place where you could shoot in Michigan's inhospitable winters, and build large, Hollywood-ready sets. Business leaders from across Michigan are working hard on making this a reality. Together with the incentives, it could mean that the film industry is here to stay. But a lot of other factors have to come together, like training for crewpeople, availablility of equipment, and a good relationship with Los Angeles movers and shakers. This is really only a small part of what needs to happen. I could write thirty pages on all the factors that need to come together.

Slowly but surely... things are coming together, and while they are I am still here, keeping my fingers crossed.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3412
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so, Gsgeorge, I used to do robotics programming, and machine building, amongst other things, that would benefit Hollywood. But everything in Michigan only happens in fits and starts, if that. I remember back in the late 70's in Long Beach, Cal., at 2 am, TV shows being shot down my street. That would be great around here, if we didn't act like a bunch of backwater yokels, when they do come to town.

Channels 2-4-7-20-62, give them a break.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23, (fortunately) there is even more activity since your days in the 70s. Long Beach is still among the top 5 cities in the country as a film & TV backdrop.

As you know, the diversity is amazing. Downtown has a gritty, urban vibe. Other neighborhoods have bucolic bungalow-lined streets & parks that double for small towns in the Midwest, and the marinas & beaches are "Miami" in the so-called "CSI Miami".

Endless mergers and downsizing in aerospace over the past 30 years have resulted in the loss of nearly all of McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) once the city's mainstay. The good news is that the enormous Boeing 717 hangar just may have found a new life. It is slated to become the largest indoor soundstage facility in the world next year. Just like the other realists of DY, I view these ambitious entertainment projects with a raised eyebrow and the most cautious optimism, as such a large percentage of them never come to final fruition—especially for those of us that have experience in the industry and in this perilous frozen-capital economy.

http://www.longbeachstudiosllc .com/

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Michigan will only be a movie making destination until another state enacts lower taxes and fees and pays the movie industry higher incentives (our tax dollars) to film here.

As long as Michigan's incentive program remains competitive, we're good. Missouri already has a more generous incentive (up to 50% vs. MI's 42% max) but we're kicking their butt. New Mexico is loaning studios up to 100% of their production budget, but it's only cowboy movies that get filmed there.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9189
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Center for Film Studies aims to help struggling workforce:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-sear ch/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_ docid=125DFAF487A76D48&p_docnu m=1&s_dlid=DL01090122200747043 67&s_ecproduct=SUB-FREE&s_ecpr odtype=INSTANT&s_trackval=&s_s iteloc=&s_referrer=&s_subterm= Subscription%20until%3A%2012%2 F31%2F2015%2011%3A59%20PM&s_su bexpires=12%2F31%2F2015%2011%3 A59%20PM&s_username=cgpfree&s_ accountid=AC010612211913051673 5&s_upgradeable=no

Sorry about that awesome link.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 816
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek, you're statement is correct. My point is that we always have to be vigilant in competition for industries and business. But some of the competition has gone beyond common sense and become cutthroat, actually costing taxpayers dollars beyond a reasonable return. That's evidenced by the hundreds of millions of dollars in incentives given to some foreign auto manufacturers by southern states.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3416
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge - that is the longest link I've ever seen, is it in this part of the Galaxy ?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3428
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Onthe405 - How's Belmont Shores doing ? Nice Jazz clubs at the time. I lived in Long Bitch for two years after a Navy hitch. (Terminal Island !) Loved 7th and Redondo.

Gotta go - "Office" is on TV.

Chuck_g
Username: Chuck_g

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan is to filmmakers what the South is to automakers: a respite from taxes and unions.

Unfortunately, we'd have to have a huge influx of the technicians to make it work since we don't have many native here.

It could happen, but is everyone now seeing lower taxes spur business growth?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.